Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 PM

121 posts, read 242,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claiz View Post
@Malishka - I recently moved to that area (I can walk to the Old Reservoir from my house). It's not the most prestigious part of Lexington but it is certainly nice and I like it a lot. PM if you want to know more.
Thank you! I certainly will pm you if we move there! Can you swim in reservoir?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 AM

134 posts, read 218,859 times
Yes you can in the summer time (you need to buy a swim tag for both Reservoir and town pool) - in the winter time it's also a place to pond skate and play pick up ice hockey (at your own risk, of course).

Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 PM

121 posts, read 242,021 times
Quote:
Yes you can in the summer time (you need to buy a swim tag for both Reservoir and town pool) - in the winter time it's also a place to pond skate and play pick up ice hockey (at your own risk, of course).
Oh wow I always wanted to skate on the real pond! I wonder if they had any accidents there... But that's very much off topic here... thank you for the info!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Do you have to live in Lexington to skate on the pond? I want to do it.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:29 PM

134 posts, read 218,859 times
@495neighbor - I never tried so I don't know for sure, but I don't see why you cannot do it.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Do you have to live in Lexington to skate on the pond? I want to do it.
As long as you don't get caught

Seriously though, there are many ponds in Metrowest that are closer for you to skate on. Every town should have a few.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:14 AM

24 posts, read 34,321 times
The commute from Lexington to Back Bay on Rt. 2 would take a half hour, maybe 45 mins. A much better commute than taking 90/95 in traffic. And, if you don't want to drive all the way in, you can always park at Alewife and take the T. Would still be under an hour total.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 AM

8 posts, read 24,646 times
Lexington is the perfect town on paper; good schools, historic, everyday conveniences, great recreation programs for kids and adults, etc. We actually thought we would end up there, as we have many family members who grew up there and live there now. We spend a good amount of time there visiting family, playing in the playgrounds, attending nephew's sporting events, even swimming at the Res and town pool (which are great!). To me there just seems to be something missing -- it feels cold I guess. I don't get any warmth or friendliness. I'm sure this sounds awfully corny, but just my experience over the last 15 years or so spending time there. My sister often says she wishes they had stayed in JP, where they lived before moving to Lexington.

Needham is also a town with lots of recreation opportunities for kids, good schools, great town center, and 3 commuter rail stations. We have many friends who moved to Needham from JP, WR, Roslindale and have been quite happy, and the commute via commuter rail to Back Bay or Downtown is a breeze. Hope that helps a bit!

Old 09-10-2019, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,202 times
On the schools:

Lexington definitely has amazing kids going there, but the school curriculum is pretty average I'd say.

-The kids are all intelligent because of going to some sort of math program (and many who live there are Asian, hence have Asian parents). Most kids go to RSM, but you could always choose other options like Kumon or Math & More, which definitely have a different feel. See what works for your kid. This doesn't mean kids in Lexington aren't good at other subjects too! Math is just definitely one of their strong points.
-As I mentioned before, a lot of Lexington's residents are Asian and the stereotype is kinda true. I mean, Asian parents do have high expectations (this is coming from an Asian student herself). A lot of kids that aren't Asian are very good at subjects too, though.This means a lot of the kids study EVERY DAY. It may not be apparent in elementary school, but you'll definitely notice in middle school.
-In reference to what I wrote above, this means while school math may seem easy, getting on the math team is TOUGH. There's great competition. Of course, getting onto the Science Bowl team is also tough. Please don't be too hard on your kids if they don't get in.
-There are plenty of clubs out there, like the Scratch club and the Homework club.
-There are ESL classes.
-A lot of the English teachers are pretty strict.
-The METCO program is essentially where kids from Boston come to Lexington to go to school. They have a special bus.

Extracurriculars:
-A lot of kids in Lexington have private lessons for an instrument, violins or pianos being the top choice. Having private lessons aren't totally necessary because in 4th-grade, students get in-school lessons for a string instrument.
-LITERALLY EVERY KID IN LEXINGTON PLAYS A SPORT. Popular choices are basketball, hockey, and soccer. Try to get them to start in elementary school. They could do town sports or school sports. School sports start in middle school, so most students do town sports.
-A handful of kids have art lessons, again, not really necessary.

Phones:
-I'd say you should give your kid a phone in middle school. With going to clubs and half-days, it's just a good idea.
-They have to keep their phone in their locker during the school day.

Half-Days:
-Elementary schools have a half-day every Thursday. The meaning's pretty obvious.
-Sometimes the middle schools and high schools will have a half-day. Lot's of kids go to the town center, which is why I said they should have a phone. A lot of the time they just walk around and go to Ranc's.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:03 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
The last post is from 2013, the OP's kids are probably well into their schooling wherever they are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts