Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 04:25 PM

61 posts, read 201,893 times

Advertisements

I liked the JP/Allston/Brookline area, but may not be able to live in it and commute to Lexington,
because I'm aiming for a 20-30min max commute to Lexington for work (one way) if that's possible.

So that seems to limit places to live in to -
Waltham
Watertown
Belmont
Woburn
Bedford
Lincoln
Weston
Lexington..?

I really have no clue about these towns. I always think of Lexington as saturated with high value houses with well off families,
and the rest I'm not really familiar with. I'm wondering what areas to place priority upon to move to, and I'm wondering what will be
different in these areas compared to the JP/Allston/Brookline area.

Aside from commute, the priorities are:
-has a decent amount of young people, and is somewhat lively
-has roommates in the 20-30 year old range.
-decent blend of architecture/community/young-ness/nature that JP had.
-no living in apartment complexes, aiming for houses to share

Most areas of JP near centre st. were a nice because of the JP pond, the arboretum, decent amount of young people,
nice little restaurants, cool architecture, good selection of room mates, and it was linked to the subway, so you could
get around to other parts of the city pretty easily. Some areas of JP weren't so great of course, and it would be nice to
avoid those kinds of settings.

Just wanted to get an early on feel for these areas, they're kinda foreign to me and I'm mostly experienced with
the JP/Allston/Brookline/Cambridge area as far as the city goes.

Last edited by hamster21; 06-13-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
The more expensive towns are unlikely to have house/roommate situations for 20-30 years old- that would include Lincoln, Lexington, Weston, and even Belmont (despite Belmont's easy public transport to Cambridge, I think that age range just isn't likely). Woburn doesn't have the vibe OP mentions, in my opinion, and Bedford very unlikely to have house shares and doesn't have a young person feel. I guess the closest to a JP feel would be Watertown or Waltham. I would personally favor a worse commute to live in Brookline or JP or such places, because there really isn't anything like them for a young person. I'd rather live where I really enjoyed the whole environment and have a lousier commute than live closer to the job and feel stuck after work and on weekends. Driving the way the OP suggests is hardly impossible, might be very congested from JP, not so bad from the other areas.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 AM

Yeah, that's kind of what it seems like - the places west of cambridge/watertown seem pretty empty as far as the things that JP/Allson/Brookline have to offer. Seems much more quiet/family-oriented. Thanks for the input. From JP, driving to Lexington was probably a 45minute trip one way, give or take.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:01 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Why not Cambridge or Somerville? Surely closer to Lexington than Jamaica Plain, and you can ride your bike into Lex on the Minuteman trail.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 AM

I'm hesitant about Somerville because I've heard it has basically no parking for residents.
Cambridge seems expensive to live in, and of course, it seems to be missing the general vibe of JP/Allston as far as the culture goes.
It's more shifted towards the MIT/Harvard crowd. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. But I'd consider them.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 AM

387 posts, read 916,369 times
Davis Square in Somerville is basically JP's sister area on the Cambridge side of the river. You'll find a red line T stop, tons of buses, young people, folk victorians, restaurants, a movie theater, and stuff to do. You can drive or bike to Spy Pond in Arlington, Spot Pond in the Middlesex Fells, or Fresh Pond for water/greenery.

To get to work, you can take Rte. 2 or go through Arlington. As for parking, many Davis Square houses have driveways, and you can get a resident parking sticker to park on the street.

Waltham and Watertown are the only towns on your list that I think could also work for you. They both have restaurants and some young professionals and transit, but you won't be connected to the city in the same way you would be in Davis Square.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Try Arlington as well.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Thanks, that helps. I've never really related Davis Square that way to JP, that's an interesting way to put it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts