Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:57 PM

10 posts, read 22,162 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband recently got a job in Malden and I may be relocating to our Weymouth office. We are looking to rent a 2-bedroom apartment under $1800-2000/month that would allow us to commute to work for less than 45 mins but also allow us to visit our family living in Lowell without driving too too far. Looking at the map, it looks like Waltham/Newton are good areas but I'm told Rte 128 going southbound can get really bad during rush hour? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,528 times
If you do not need to have good schools for kids do not run to Newton. Waltham is better fit, but Medford is much better commute wise to Malden. And if you end up working in Weymouth, then you are in trouble with commute from Medford/Waltham/Newton area. You should know in advance, if possible, where will you work because as we are talking about opposite ends and long commute if on the wrong end of the city. Try to take short term rental, that is more flexible, so you can move if your jobs move too. Then you can check Quincy, Weymouth, or Hingham. Commuting North/South in and around Boston is getting worse every year. It is bad. You do not need that. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM

I'm most likely going to work in Weymouth, just finalizing details.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,528 times
That is going to be interesting with one in Malden and one in Weymouth. I am not sure what to recommend. If you stay around Newton/Waltham area, your commute to Weymouth will be very hard. I hope someone will chime in and help you better than I can. One option I can think of is Quincy or Braintree, where your husband can take public transport accross
the city of Boston and into Malden (if office walkable to train or bus station) and you take car or public transport into Weymouth (again, if that at all possible).

Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
That is a tough one! It's really difficult when one person works on one side of the city and the other person works on the opposite side. Personally, I think no matter what one of you is going to have a really awful commute. My experience is that commuting north from south of Boston is worse than commuting south from north of the city. So, maybe Sommerville is a good choice?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
why not malden? at least one of you will have an easy time and it is closer to lowell where you have family to visit on weekends. there is an orange line station in Malden. i don't know about schools.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Still debating what to do right now...traffic on 93 seems to be bad northbound and southbound according to what I saw on Google Maps this morning at 7. I95/rte 128 didn't seem bad at all this morning, but could it be because it is Friday morning? Is the commute southbound on I95 really bad?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
why not malden? at least one of you will have an easy time and it is closer to lowell where you have family to visit on weekends. there is an orange line station in Malden. i don't know about schools.

Agree. Why not Malden. Plenty of apartment complexes.

Commute from Malden to Weymouth is not that bad. There are multiple ways to get through Boston. Route 93, Tobin, McGrath-Obrien/Storrow Drive, airport tunnels and side roads.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 AM

124 posts, read 233,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
If you do not need to have good schools for kids do not run to Newton. Waltham is better fit, but Medford is much better commute wise to Malden. And if you end up working in Weymouth, then you are in trouble with commute from Medford/Waltham/Newton area. You should know in advance, if possible, where will you work because as we are talking about opposite ends and long commute if on the wrong end of the city. Try to take short term rental, that is more flexible, so you can move if your jobs move too. Then you can check Quincy, Weymouth, or Hingham. Commuting North/South in and around Boston is getting worse every year. It is bad. You do not need that. Good luck.
What's wrong with the schools in Newton? The school that my daughter goes to is wonderful.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:28 AM

124 posts, read 233,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Because Malden has gone downhill. I would not want to raise my family there with all the drugs and crime that goes on in that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts