Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 PM

14 posts, read 35,410 times

Advertisements

I would like to get a feel for what some of the previously mentioned town centers are like in towns I am considering looking into.

What are the biggest draws in each? Are the centers growing and expanding? What age demographic likes to spend time in them?? Which is the most child friendly??? (ice cream shops, bakeries, community center, benches to sit on, great library, etc...)

Natick, Acton, Concord. Which other towns with nice town centers should I add to the list? Do any of the towns adjacent of Acton have town centers?? How about Sharon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverjoy View Post
I would like to get a feel for what some of the previously mentioned town centers are like in towns I am considering looking into.

What are the biggest draws in each? Are the centers growing and expanding? What age demographic likes to spend time in them?? Which is the most child friendly??? (ice cream shops, bakeries, community center, benches to sit on, great library, etc...)

Natick, Acton, Concord. Which other towns with nice town centers should I add to the list? Do any of the towns adjacent of Acton have town centers?? How about Sharon?

From the crystal ball of 495neighbor:

Natick: new businesses moving in over the past five years, beautiful recently renovated library in town center, highly walkable with businesses around the town common, train stop in town center, nice wifi cafe and breakfast spots, friendly people who smile when passing them by on the street, town common has benches, gazebo, during warm months people often playing frisbee, many walkers of all ages although I would weigh this a bit towards young families, could use a few more open restaurants at night
Prediction: uptrending

Concord East: more formal than Concord West, historic, upscale stores, geared towards tourists, Art Center and playgrounds in less than one mile from center of town, antique stores, many churches, majority of people 55-70, tourist families and Concord Academy students and staff, library in beautiful historic building with helpful courteous library staff, not many places to sit, businesses want to keep them moving even in eating places, train stop with few parking spaces, Starbucks with no place to park so noone hangs out there too long, socially conscious and civil but often not warm feel
Prediction: established and steady

Concord West: informal and arty, happy, many indie businesses including hobby store, health food store, 5 & Dime, some churches, train stop with large lot, other good parking, sometimes many walkers and sometimes very empty streets, people of all ages especially on the weekend, laid back and quietly friendly people
Prediction: established and uptrending

Acton: area from Kelly's corner down to West Acton
West Acton: quiet, low key, community theater, Farmer's Market, Idlewilde independent foodie grocer, small independent eating places, consignment store, crunchy and serious people
Kelly's Corner: Mom and Pop pizza parlor type eating places and chain family friendly eating places such as Subway and Johnny Rockets, sometimes dominated by high school students since the high school has open campus and is only a few blocks away
Prediction: uptrending with current street upgrades to Kelly's Corner, new frozen yogurt business and Phase 2 of the West Acton plan set to begin.

There is also a common on the other side of town with the library, a few churches and a little farther away the Arboretum with beautiful serene gardens for walks.

Sharon: (less familiar with this one)
Park like, well maintained, leafy, small town center with few businesses

Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
From the crystal ball of 495neighbor:

Natick: new businesses moving in over the past five years, beautiful recently renovated library in town center, highly walkable with businesses around the town common, train stop in town center, nice wifi cafe and breakfast spots, friendly people who smile when passing them by on the street, town common has benches, gazebo, during warm months people often playing frisbee, many walkers of all ages although I would weigh this a bit towards young families, could use a few more open restaurants at night
Prediction: uptrending
I would add that the police station, fire station, and town hall were renovated at the same time as the library. There are a number of good small businesses in the Natick center and plenty of restaurants to choose from if you want causal like Bill's House of Pizza or something a little more upscale like Maxwell's 148. The town common is also in the center and there is a lot of activity there during the summer such as concerts and other fun activities. The Boston Marathon goes right through Natick Center as well. I have a friend who lives just off of Rt 135 near the center and he loves being able to walk down the street and watch everyone run by every year.

I would definitely say Natick on the whole is on the up swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Sharon: (less familiar with this one)
Park like, well maintained, leafy, small town center with few businesses
There's not much of a town center in Sharon. It's pretty minimal. I don't see their town center getting any better anytime soon.

It's a nice town already and holding steady although not a good fit for people who like living somewhere with a well developed town center.

I'm not terribly familiar with Acton or Concord so I can't really comment on those towns.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 PM

14 posts, read 35,410 times
Wow, great detailed comments. Thank you both so much...

I am staring at Harvard/Littleton, and am wondering if I am crazy. The multi acreage land, the modern large updated houses for less than 500K!!! I know, I know it's very horse oriented and rural, but both towns claim to have town centers? Anyone can chime in on what goes on in a rural town center such as that in Harvard or Littleton?? I can live with one ice-cream shop, as long as all the kids in town go there after school

Old 09-18-2013, 10:37 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverjoy View Post
Wow, great detailed comments. Thank you both so much...

I am staring at Harvard/Littleton, and am wondering if I am crazy. The multi acreage land, the modern large updated houses for less than 500K!!! I know, I know it's very horse oriented and rural, but both towns claim to have town centers? Anyone can chime in on what goes on in a rural town center such as that in Harvard or Littleton?? I can live with one ice-cream shop, as long as all the kids in town go there after school

Harvard: very Currier & Ives, large green space in town common with many festivals, General Store, picturesque New England feel, home schooling Moms and SAHMs, lots of activity around Fruitlands, sledding, kids in brightly colored winter clothing making snowmen, art shows, Winterfest, orchards, farm stands, hilly valleys overlooking mountains
Yes, in parts of Harvard, very hare and hound, but nowhere near town center
trend: established

Littleton: white picket fences, very 1960s small town Mayberry feel, local businesses where business owners have social conversations with long time customers, sincere thoughtfulness for the person next door, down to earth, near major roads and the highway so not truly walkable and not many people walking, more gas stations than eating places, many pick up trucks, barbecues, suburban family fun
Points of interest, off the center and a short drive away: Bobby's Ranch for trail rides, Cataldo's Nursery - better Christmas tree display than Yankee Candle and offer hot cocoa and cider to customers during holiday season; Nashoba Ski Area, more than family skiing, has tubing, haunted house at Halloween, ski lodge with restaurant with large window overlooking evening skiers; Kimball's Farm for ice cream, mini golf, driving range and bumper boats; Indian Hill Music School, nice updated library with cheerful library staff
trend: consistent

Last edited by 495neighbor; 09-18-2013 at 10:53 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM

102 posts, read 450,125 times
Default Downtown Walpole

I'd like to add Walpole to the mix of nice downtown districts. Although always pleasant-looking and New England quaint, Walpole is also on the upswing with aesthetic upgrades and new businesses adding further appeal.

Here are some highlights in a walkable, established two-plus block area: beautiful town common with period lighting and benches to sit on, fabulous new public library, historic buildings (including Blackburn Hall for community events and programs) and churches, seven full service restaurants, coffee shop, frozen yogurt place, a summer and early fall Farmers Market on the common, old time independent pharmacy, a paint-your-own-pottery studio, town swimming pool and mom and pop shops that sell quilts, yarn, gifts, flowers, musical instruments, grain and hay (!), and home furnishings. The vibe is very friendly and family-oriented -- almost like a small Upstate New York town -- and the community involvement downtown is off the charts during the tree lighting ceremony (late Nov.), Walpole Town Day (May), Village Fair (June), Holly Berry Fair (Dec.), 4th of July parade and fireworks, and Memorial Day and Veterans Day Ceremonies.

You'll see many people out walking during the day (and more now at night, due in large part to a growing dining scene) and it is common for people to smile or say "hello" walking by. There's definitely an air of unpretentiousness and a feeling of old-fashioned Americana here, almost making it feel like a "Leave it to Beaver" or "It's a Wonderful Life" type of downtown -- if that is possible in the 21 century.

To give you a feeling for the town, I've included a few photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Please describe the feel of town centers in these towns-coffee_perch.jpg   Please describe the feel of town centers in these towns-walpole-winter2.jpg   Please describe the feel of town centers in these towns-walpole-memorial-day.jpg   Please describe the feel of town centers in these towns-downtown-walpole-1.jpg   Please describe the feel of town centers in these towns-walpole_christmas.jpg  

Last edited by Eric H.; 09-19-2013 at 09:52 AM..

Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM

229 posts, read 384,667 times
Wow, you guys know a lot!
At the risk of hijacking this thread, what about Winchester? It's strangely not often (relative to other towns such as Lexington, Concord, Natick, etc.) mentioned in this forum.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:44 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
I'd like to add Walpole to the mix of nice downtown districts. Although always pleasant-looking and New England quaint, Walpole is also on the upswing with aesthetic upgrades and new businesses adding further appeal.

Here are some highlights in a walkable, established two-plus block area: beautiful town common with period lighting and benches to sit on, fabulous new public library, historic buildings (including Blackburn Hall for community events and programs) and churches, seven full service restaurants, coffee shop, frozen yogurt place, a summer and early fall Farmers Market on the common, old time independent pharmacy, a paint-your-own-pottery studio, town swimming pool and mom and pop shops that sell quilts, yarn, gifts, flowers, musical instruments, grain and hay (!), and home furnishings. The vibe is very friendly and family-oriented -- almost like a small Upstate New York town -- and the community involvement downtown is off the charts during the tree lighting ceremony (late Nov.), Walpole Town Day (May), Village Fair (June), Holly Berry Fair (Dec.), 4th of July parade and fireworks, and Memorial Day and Veterans Day Ceremonies.

You'll see many people out walking during the day (and more now at night, due in large part to a growing dining scene) and it is common for people to smile or say "hello" walking by. There's definitely an air of unpretentiousness and a feeling of old-fashioned Americana here, almost making it feel like a "Leave it to Beaver" or "It's a Wonderful Life" type of downtown -- if that is possible in the 21 century.

Good to see you back posting here again, Eric H.!

Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post

Downtown Walpole looks gorgeous! I swear I've driven through there a hundred times, but I never remember it looking that good. How are the schools? I wonder why it's rarely mentioned on these forums.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Riverjoy: Something else to consider is town sewer, town water and oil vs. gas. Some people have said it's important to be on town sewer/water and to have natural gas. I just wanted to bring up the fact that many houses in MA do not have town sewer and some don't even have town water (2 people I know are on well water in Southboro and Westford). Also, oil tanks are more common than natural gas lines. Be sure to check on these when you are looking at houses if it's something that concerns you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts