Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Amherst is definitely not 2 hours from Boston. At most 90 minutes but can be done easily in less time than that. Once a week I drive to Lynnfield from Springfield and door to door is 70 minutes. Cambridge is a bit closer, I can be in central square in 50 minutes from Springfield.
I agree with JThree ... holy crap how fast are you driving? Springfield to Cambridge in 50 minutes? That has to be 100 mph the entire way, and that's AFTER you get on the highway and not including local roads to get to your destination. I've never made it to Six Flags in under 1 hour from NATICK which is much closer than Cambridge or Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
There may be more of an academic presence in Winchester than Lincoln. I think of Lincoln as the independent artist turned organic farmer and Winchester as more preppy and connected to Tufts U. Arlington and West Medford are also popular with Tufts faculty. Not sure if Lincoln is a bedroom community for Brandeis and Bentley, likely MIT Lincoln Laboratories. The north side of Lincoln has a large community around Hanscom AFB.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
While many of these places listed do have colleges, they're mostly not "college towns" in the way Ithaca is. I think of places like Burlington, VT, Iowa City, IA, to be true "college towns". For that Ithaca type of vibe in MA I think Northampton/Amherst is the way to go if you want it to be more suburban/rural feeling. Parts of Somerville and Cambridge would work culturally, but not suburban/rural vibe wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts