Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 12,071 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Boston next year and would like some information about neighborhoods near Boston. My husband will be retiring from the military in 2 years and me and my 3 kids will be moving to Boston 1 year ahead of him so I can find a job and get settled before he retires. When we first move out there we will be living on his paycheck only until I find a job.He makes about $75,000 a year. I work in the Health Information Technology field and expect to make $45,000 a year (hopefully more but I’m guessing low!) once I find a job. I will have one child in high school, one in middle school and one in elementary school so a good school system is important (especially at the high school level). I don’t mind a small commute but definitely want the commute time to be under an hour. We will be renting for a few years and would prefer to stay around $2,500 a month in rent for a 4-bedroom house. Is this do-able near Boston or will we have to live far out in the suburbs? Since I will be looking for a job after I move there then I’m not sure where I will be working yet. All I know is that it will be at a hospital because of my job field. I would like a neighborhood with good schools, low crime, and a 4 bedroom house that has at least 1500 square feet of living space. Oh, and we also have 2 dogs. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks J

Last edited by LovetoPlay99; 10-06-2013 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 02:37 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,701,405 times
You will have a difficult time on $75,000 a year for 5 people (especially with maintaining another house out west). $2,500 a month for a house that big will involve living in the suburbs for sure and your commute could be over an hour each way. Make sure your rent includes heat and hot water.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
Why Boston?

Old 10-06-2013, 05:12 PM

My husband will be living with family so we won't have another house to maintain. I have always wanted to move to Boston after visiting there about 10 years ago. We were never able to get stationed in Boston during my husbands military career though. So now that my husbands retiring we have the freedom of choosing wherever we want to go and Boston area seems like a good fit for us.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:35 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,701,405 times
Hmm...I will say that living in Boston in the suburbs will be a vastly different experience than visiting the city as a tourist.

While San Diego is an expensive city, various cost of living calculators I looked at said $75k/year in San Diego is equivalent to $80k/year in Boston. If you wind up having to settle for a rental that doesn't include free heat and uses oil, you could easily spend several thousand dollars a year on that alone if you aren't careful. The infrastructure in the Boston area is relatively poor and you feel the effects of that the most during winter storms. They are a minor inconvenience in the city but a major one in the suburbs. While it really doesn't snow that much, it is relatively cool for most of the year outside of the summer.

Most people would not consciously pick Boston as a place to retire too and I can't say I blame them. Why do you feel Boston is a good fit for you? $75k/year for 5 people will be enough to get by in Boston but you won't be living a life of luxury.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
Is your husband planning to start a second career? There are many defense related engineering companies in Massachusetts, and that would improve your balance sheet. I would think a Health Information Technology professional would make much more than $45,000 at a Boston hospital. For commuting to the major hospitals and some suburban, towns like Westborough and Framingham would work well for your rental budget.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:40 PM

We don't plan on living a life of luxury We will be living on $75,000 a year only until I find a job but who knows how long that will take so that is why I want to stay within a small budget at first. My husband is an IT (Information Technologist) in the Navy and plans on working still after he retires. He will only be 46 years old so he has many years left to work. We picked Boston to move to due to the history and culture, having 4 seasons (something that is truely lacking in San Diego) and due to the fact that there is so much to do there. I have lived in alot of different places- Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland (Oregon), New Orleans, to name a few and California is the least favorite of all these places. I miss having actual weather- other then sun practically year-round and barely any rain. I love the architecture of Boston as opposed to the tract housing in California. We are used to moving around and feel like we are making a good choice.
In regards to housing- when I was searching for houses I found some in Salem, Revere, Westwood, Natick, Lexington, Malden, Watertown, Arlington and Andover that fall within my price range. How are these neighborhoods? Is there a lot of crime?
I was looking at some places near Framingham and Westborough. How long is the commute to Boston from that area?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 AM

145 posts, read 283,183 times
Did you mean to say that he's currently making $75k and will also make $75k after he retires? I'm double checking because I think that when most people retire their income changes.

You might be able to find a house for that price in Watertown, Quincy, or Braintree if you look carefully. The commuter rail goes out to Attleboro which is farther from the city but more reasonably priced. Then there's Providence, all the way in Rhode Island, yet still only 30 minutes from Boston by $15 Amtrak ticket or monthly pass, followed by the North Kingstown, RI stop. If you look at the stops along those train lines, you might find a reasonably close place at a reasonable price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetoPlay99 View Post
We will be moving to Boston next year and would like some information about neighborhoods near Boston. My husband will be retiring from the military in 2 years and me and my 3 kids will be moving to Boston 1 year ahead of him so I can find a job and get settled before he retires. When we first move out there we will be living on his paycheck only until I find a job.He makes about $75,000 a year. I work in the Health Information Technology field and expect to make $45,000 a year (hopefully more but I’m guessing low!) once I find a job. I will have one child in high school, one in middle school and one in elementary school so a good school system is important (especially at the high school level). I don’t mind a small commute but definitely want the commute time to be under an hour. We will be renting for a few years and would prefer to stay around $2,500 a month in rent for a 4-bedroom house. Is this do-able near Boston or will we have to live far out in the suburbs? Since I will be looking for a job after I move there then I’m not sure where I will be working yet. All I know is that it will be at a hospital because of my job field. I would like a neighborhood with good schools, low crime, and a 4 bedroom house that has at least 1500 square feet of living space. Oh, and we also have 2 dogs. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks J

Last edited by Gauss44; 10-07-2013 at 12:35 AM..

Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetoPlay99 View Post
We don't plan on living a life of luxury We will be living on $75,000 a year only until I find a job but who knows how long that will take so that is why I want to stay within a small budget at first. My husband is an IT (Information Technologist) in the Navy and plans on working still after he retires. He will only be 46 years old so he has many years left to work. We picked Boston to move to due to the history and culture, having 4 seasons (something that is truely lacking in San Diego) and due to the fact that there is so much to do there. I have lived in alot of different places- Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland (Oregon), New Orleans, to name a few and California is the least favorite of all these places. I miss having actual weather- other then sun practically year-round and barely any rain. I love the architecture of Boston as opposed to the tract housing in California. We are used to moving around and feel like we are making a good choice.
In regards to housing- when I was searching for houses I found some in Salem, Revere, Westwood, Natick, Lexington, Malden, Watertown, Arlington and Andover that fall within my price range. How are these neighborhoods? Is there a lot of crime?
I was looking at some places near Framingham and Westborough. How long is the commute to Boston from that area?
Best choices, but more expensive: Westwood (excellent), Lexington (excellent), Natick, Arlington (excellent), Andover. Nice areas with good schools.

Mediocre choices: Revere, Malden, Watertown, Framingham, Salem and Westborough.

All the reasons you give for wanting to move to MA are perfectly sound. There is a bit of caution taken when analyzing why someone would come from a perfect climate in San Diego to four seasons, with a similar cost of living. Also, keep in mind, Boston is very densely populated and takes considerable time to get used to. If you move here, be patient.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post

Mediocre choices: Revere, Malden, Watertown, Framingham, Salem and Westborough.

Curious how you came up with this list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts