Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 30,469 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently moved to Quincy MA and made it out to the bars for my 1st taste of local night life last weekend. I headed to Stadium, the Half Door & Clash of the Ash and was shocked that these places more or less reminded me of college bars: packed with young (over 21 of course) scantily clad women and dudes ready to score or to throw down.

Now please don't get me wrong- I will be returning to these bars- but there seem to be a ton of bars in walking distance to where we live (the Fours, Fat Cat Cafe, Granite Rail, Hancock Tavern, Alba...well you get the idea) is this type of atmosphere pretty standard for all bars in Quincy after 10:00 or is there more area to be explored?

I ask since I am married and in my late 20's so I am more looking for a place we can relax with our friends than a club type atmosphere. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Try out Assembly. It's in North Quincy and is a pretty solid spot. Not too crazy, but not too dull.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:02 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Are you asking Quincy in general or does it have to be walking distance from Quincy Center?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 30,469 times
Either way; I guess I am just trying to get an idea for the Quincy nightlife scene- most of which I assumed was along the redline- but maybe I am wrong?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:59 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Not sure if the Ocean Club at Marina Bay is only seasonal. I still think I've heard it can get too wild at times, like its previous incarnations.

Ask a Quincy cabbie. They may be able to inform you as well...

As mentioned, perhaps Assembly, occupying a former Irish bar. Seems like a good brunch place also.

Maybe Ashmont Grill or Venezia may have something more mature at night?...in nearby Dorchester.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 10-08-2013 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-08-2013, 11:54 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Used to go to Cagney's in the Point once in a while. It's your typical local pub if that's your thing. Also like Darcy's in W. Quincy.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 6,192 times
Unfortunately you probably chose the worst bars in Quincy. Clash of the Ash is well known for fights and theor liquor lic is constantly being questioned. The stadium is also well known for younger crowd, although it is one of the few places that has a dance floor. I highly recomend Fat Cat. Alba is more high end but def one of the nicer placed in Quincy. Have not been to Assembly but hear it is pretty good. If you are looking for atmosphere and not dancing try Fat Cat, Fox and Hound, Alba, Fuji, Alba.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:38 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Abby Park over in East Milton Square has a more "mature" vibe.

I third/fourth Assembly.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:12 AM

40 posts, read 109,337 times
I'll admit I don't live in Quincy or know the bars OVERLY well but what you're describing is pretty much just "Boston". Most places turn themselves into sports bars, even the nicer places and after 9-10 at weekends just become exactly as you described... even some of the really nice places in the city are exactly the same after 10pm. It's very hard to find somewhere I can actually sit and have a drink with my GF, if that's all we are up for that night, without "bros" getting loud and aggressive all around us.

I always found it a big weird, was chatting to someone from out of town this weekend too and he asked the the exact same thing about where to go. I think folks who grew up here just know that to be the bar scene so it's not really questioned. Even the "nice" places in the city are still essentially sports bars when it's all said and done or they would lose business.

If you want a quieter vibe then go for places that are more the restaurant type and have less TVs (not burger and fries type places) since they tend to have a more mature clientele and not really angle for the college crowd. The downside to those places in Boston is that if you just want drinks and decide to not have dinner then be prepared for some very rude staff. It's another angle of Boston, places want you to get dinner every night, nothing to be said for a quite drink.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM

34 posts, read 72,437 times
Funny. Most of the bars I know in the area are kind of older "blue collar" neighborhood bars. (Still sports bars though). I've never cared for the Quincy bar scene.

My favorite bar in Quincy is the Beachcomber. It has nice bands and the beach....still fairly young crowd though.

Outside of Quincy there is Dave & Buster's in Braintree if you like games. There is Blanchard's Colonial Tavern in Avon if you like folk music. Marina Bay is the "high end" are of Quincy, and there are beach themed bars in Hingham/Hull/Nantasket.

I suspect if you get farther away from the T stops you will get fewer students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts