Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,120 times

Advertisements

I am looking at putting an addition on my house and am trying to get a sense of the cost of the project. It would be a two story addition on the front of my house with an open porch on the first level and living space above the porch on the second level. The total dimensions of the porch and living space on the second floor would be 5 feet by 16 feet. The space on the second floor is to be used as walk-in closet space for two bedrooms on the second floor of my house. I have confirmed setback restrictions and living area restrictions and am fine for the addition. I am trying to get a rough sense of what this type of project will end up costing to make a decision about the viability of the project prior to having plans drawn up and going out to bid. Thank you for any thought you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
I don't know if this will be of any help, but I once got a quote for a farmer's porch for $11k. It was the same size as what you're looking at, but didn't have to be built to support the weight of a 2nd floor. The fact that you need to support that extra weight means you need a proper foundation. The fact that it's on the 2nd floor also means you will need a portion of your roof redone and possibly some rafters rebuilt. The costs are going to be substantial - almost as much as putting in a real 2nd floor addition with additional bedrooms, etc.

I think you should find 2 or 3 general contractors to come estimate the price for you. Most will come and give you a rough estimate before having any plans drawn.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Think permits, plans, foundation, waterproofing, framing, insulation, exterior you might need to redo completely, roof as well, then electrical, heat, floors, windows...

Things add up. I think you are looking at $65K-110K. I do not think that this is well done for $30K, unless you are general contractor, have know-how, buddies to help, and patience. Cost will depend on what you need to redo to make sure it flows seamless, so any cost estimate here is meaningless, without actual contractor looking at your home and site. You might be in the high water table or have issue with the lot slope. There are million variables.

Then there are those unforeseen issues and emergencies that even most organized renovators experience, and it will costs you as well. Good contractors will not be cheap, good plans will ensure your house doesn't become monster with 0 appeal, and resale value, despite money you have spend.

Most people will go 10-20% over budget (or more).

For a regular homeowner it rarely makes financial sense to build an addition, or renovate a lot. Home can end up being a money pit, unintentionally.

If this is already paid for house, in great neighborhood, than maybe it can make sense because of the equity. Get some estimates if you can, just be advised that it always ends up costing more (15-25% roughly).

Also make sure you are not the only home in the neighborhood with an expensive upgrades: people sometimes spend huge amounts on renovations, and get very little return, if in the area where most homes will not be as nice. You need to know your future buyer, just in case you will need to sell.
Hope it helps.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:36 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Think permits, plans, foundation, waterproofing, framing, insulation, exterior you might need to redo completely, roof as well, then electrical, heat, floors, windows...

Things add up. I think you are looking at $65K-110K. I do not think that this is well done for $30K, unless you are general contractor, have know-how, buddies to help, and patience. Cost will depend on what you need to redo to make sure it flows seamless, so any cost estimate here is meaningless, without actual contractor looking at your home and site. You might be in the high water table or have issue with the lot slope. There are million variables.

Then there are those unforeseen issues and emergencies that even most organized renovators experience, and it will costs you as well. Good contractors will not be cheap, good plans will ensure your house doesn't become monster with 0 appeal, and resale value, despite money you have spend.

Most people will go 10-20% over budget (or more).

For a regular homeowner it rarely makes financial sense to build an addition, or renovate a lot. Home can end up being a money pit, unintentionally.

If this is already paid for house, in great neighborhood, than maybe it can make sense because of the equity. Get some estimates if you can, just be advised that it always ends up costing more (15-25% roughly).

Also make sure you are not the only home in the neighborhood with an expensive upgrades: people sometimes spend huge amounts on renovations, and get very little return, if in the area where most homes will not be as nice. You need to know your future buyer, just in case you will need to sell.
Hope it helps.
Very good information here, but possibly the most important is the last paragraph. As kingeorge notes, this addition might easily cost $65k or more, but how much value do you think it will add to the house? A small porch and 2 walk-in closets might only bring back an extra $15k at resale.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Adding 80 square feet to be used as a closet doesn't really make financial sense. I think you could do that addition for under $30K but that would be a mighty expensive closet or porch.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:44 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
A friend of mine recently did a small addition with a master walk-in closet, master bathroom, and unfinished storage space underneath in the basement. I think she told me it cost her $65K. What you're talking about doesn't include all the plumbing or fixtures that a bathroom does and we're likely not talking about a full foundation pour so maybe it would cost $30K to $40K.

As George points out, it's not a financially smart move and it is important to understand that this will cost more to do than the value it will add. However, this is your house after all and not your stock portfolio. If you really want a walk in closet and front porch that badly then you go ahead and do it so long as you plan to be there to enjoy it for a while. It's hard to put a value or a price on the use and enjoyment of your home.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:09 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,259 times
$200 SF any less and you are dreaming

Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 PM

417 posts, read 733,905 times
Is the reason some are saying that it doesn't make financial sense because its a porch and walk in closets? Would you think differently if it were a master bedroom addition? That's what wed like to do down the line with our place and reading these responses makes me wonder if its a bad idea? We love the house/location and will need to be in the same zoning for the elem sch.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:38 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
Is the reason some are saying that it doesn't make financial sense because its a porch and walk in closets? Would you think differently if it were a master bedroom addition? That's what wed like to do down the line with our place and reading these responses makes me wonder if its a bad idea? We love the house/location and will need to be in the same zoning for the elem sch.
Yes. Adding a porch and a walk in closet doesn't add much value to a home. Adding additional bedrooms or bathrooms has a better rate of return.

Last edited by MikePRU; 03-01-2014 at 06:59 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 06:42 PM

417 posts, read 733,905 times
Thanks mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts