Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 09:40 AM

16 posts, read 23,122 times

Advertisements

I have an odd question just to satisfy my curiosity...I grew up in IL where we had Physical Education class every day as part of our core curriculum, K-12. We will be moving out of state and contemplating a few options and I was surprised to learn that IL is the only state with this daily requirement. For students who have PE just a couple days a week, what do they do for the other, "off" days? Which class is filled in for the other days? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 09:56 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
Depends on the school districts, but mostly kids have music, art, foreign language, science, library. Things like that. Younger kids usually have outdoor recess so they can move around during the day. Older the kids, more subjects and electives gets in to curriculum. It is hard to speak uniformly about K-12 as it gets different every year as kids mature. Elementary school is different from the middle and this one different from the high school. Hope it helps you a little.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:36 PM

33 posts, read 58,036 times
I grew up in NY and had gym every other day in high school. I work as a teacher now in MA and have worked in different middle and high schools...to my shock there are students with tons of studies...a complete waste of time where students can just do nothing if they want. I worked at an urban district and now at a suburban district.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass100 View Post
I grew up in NY and had gym every other day in high school. I work as a teacher now in MA and have worked in different middle and high schools...to my shock there are students with tons of studies...a complete waste of time where students can just do nothing if they want. I worked at an urban district and now at a suburban district.
Thanks. What class did you have every other day in high school when it wasn't a gym day? A study hall?

Old 03-15-2014, 04:31 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
My high school sons have PE 2 days out of 7. Their schedule rotates each day. The other electives could be art, computers, business, etc.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:17 PM

404 posts, read 827,041 times
Bringing back some baaaad memories, but I had gym everyday for the years in high school I had to take gym, i think 2 years of gym. In younger grades it was once a week for me.

Elementary near me in MA alternated gym with art/music/drama, etc. This is also what they do here in OH my kindergartener has gym 2x a week.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 AM

33 posts, read 58,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2033nr View Post
Thanks. What class did you have every other day in high school when it wasn't a gym day? A study hall?
I graduated from high school in 97 from a HS on Long Island and if you asked about studies they would think you were crazy...lol. Only seniors had them...I think I had an elective like art or health on days with no gym. The studies are the biggest waste of time and to me really say something about the schools.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 AM

Thanks everyone! With seven class periods in high school we still had room for electives plus daily PE. I guess other schools just have more electives each semester? Thanks for clarifying this for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts