Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:20 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkberry View Post
There are no good independent radio stations, few home-grown bands, and not a lot of artist types.

River 92.5
Emerson College Radio WERS
WGBH

All good quality indie music, at least to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 PM

41 posts, read 72,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
River 92.5
Emerson College Radio WERS
WGBH

All good quality indie music, at least to me
WERS is ok. The Emerson broadcasting students are more into broadcasting than they are into the music, if that makes any sense. They play an interesting variety but don't introduce any new, local or regional bands. No musicians in the studio playing live. That said, for me the bar has been set pretty high by KEXP in Seattle (although the station has moved slightly mainstream lately and isn't as good as it once was).

92.5 always comes in static-y where I live so I haven't given it much of a chance. I'll try to give it another shot.

Last edited by shrinkberry; 03-28-2014 at 11:02 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 02:59 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkberry View Post
few home-grown bands, and not a lot of artist types. .

Woah woah woah, what Boston are do you live in? There are amazing open studios and in general, artists all over it, seems everyone and their mom is an artist. It isn't out in your face like Providence, but it is there. The music scene is crazy lively. If I had the energy, I'd be out every night and have trouble picking which show to go to. If you're going by what is listed as playing at the Middle East or Great Scott (etc) alone you're missing 90% of what is going on in the area. It seems like there is a fest or two every month as well. There is an underground one at the Democracy Center this weekend and most bands are local (though this particular one the genre isn't for everyone).

Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Waltham has a small downtown. Lots of good restaurants and bars, maybe one or two places with live music. I'm not sure how lively Watertown is after dark.
Not very lively before dark either but a great place to live for its proximity to Cambridge.

And yes, whoever thinks Boston lacks a lively music scene isn't paying attention. Music is in the bones, from the BSO down to that busker on the corner.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 7,147 times
Waltham would be a good option which is cheaper than Cambridge, Somerville, Jamaica Plain and actually an easier commute to Hopkinton than any of those. Waltham is a small city/college town with a decent number of restaurants and bars, easy access to Boston, a good art house type movie theater, a brewery, and plenty of rental housing. Not as hip and artsy as Asheville, but probably the closest thing within a 45 minute commute to Hopkinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts