Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:15 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times

Advertisements

Timberline, you've mentioned live music quite a bit. Any particular venue?

There is a billiards place in downtown Ayer that is pretty lively and a large venue with bluesy rock type music. Ayer as a town might have some of that grit you are seeking. Seems to be more childless couples and singles than families in that town.

There is also a music club/art gallery I've heard of in Southbridge that is supposed to be pretty happening.

I have a feeling you'd love Lowell. But too far for a Westborough commute unless you want to spend over an hour driving each way, every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
No, I'm an underground guy. AS220 and Olneyville, basements in Allston, lofts in Lowell, granges in Western MA, the Firehouse in Worcester... etc.

I've been "spoiled" I guess, in my 20 years of working professionally I've only had to drive to work once (for less than a year) and never lived more than 30 minutes (walking and public transit) from work. The idea of spending life driving is abhorrent. Such a waste.

Maybe Providence would work, but 1.5 hrs driving? Ugh. Perhaps staying in Boston and doing a 35-40 min commuter rail from Salem is the way to go.

I'm into the music, but access to the outdoors is also important... but need a social life... Burlington Vt, Madison, WI, even the Bay Area were pretty aces for this. It is harder here.

There may be no good options. Thanks for the ideas. Is Worcester that bad? It's affordable. There is stuff going on. Commute isn't bad. Dunno.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, I'm an underground guy. AS220 and Olneyville, basements in Allston, lofts in Lowell, granges in Western MA, the Firehouse in Worcester... etc.

I've been "spoiled" I guess, in my 20 years of working professionally I've only had to drive to work once (for less than a year) and never lived more than 30 minutes (walking and public transit) from work. The idea of spending life driving is abhorrent. Such a waste.

Maybe Providence would work, but 1.5 hrs driving? Ugh. Perhaps staying in Boston and doing a 35-40 min commuter rail from Salem is the way to go.

I'm into the music, but access to the outdoors is also important... but need a social life... Burlington Vt, Madison, WI, even the Bay Area were pretty aces for this. It is harder here.

There may be no good options. Thanks for the ideas. Is Worcester that bad? It's affordable. There is stuff going on. Commute isn't bad. Dunno.

Yeah, I don't think Maynard or Ayer or any of these towns around here will be underground or alternative enough for you. I remember Worcester having its own version of the Phoenix entertainment paper, back in the day. Most I know from Worcester grew up there, so it could be closed to newcomers.

Your original Salem plan sounds like it could be better for you. Although, not sure about live music venues there. Definitely an underground current to be found.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Oh, I put out music from bands in Worcester and areas, not worried about acceptance. Going to shows at 40+ when the mean in 20 is enough of a reason to not include me.

Salem may work, I guess... there isn't a ton of music, but labels and band people abound. The Westborough office is nicer, and closer to the outdoors. Maynard is just out of the prive range. I just need singles, fun, and non-norms... Boring people suck. People that have the idea is that a delivery pizza and a dvd, or a bottle of wine after cooking some whole foods overpriced veggies is a good time won't cut it. Too lame.

I guess I'll re-check Providence (and insanely cool city, but crud commute), Westborough, Worcester, and Salem.... I have time to decide. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 AM

Oh, that sounded really harsh. I just want something to do and access to the outdoors too.

I'll do some driving around there this weekend.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:13 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Oh, that sounded really harsh.
You think? You just described 90% of us as boring, lol. It's all good, to each their own.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You think? You just described 90% of us as boring, lol. It's all good, to each their own.

Sorry, I try not to be that honest usually

Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
wow...

So if you want to work in Westborough, you should live close to Westborough since you don't like driving. I would check Northborough, Westborough, Marlborough, & Shrewsbury for a place to live. Shrewsbury is closer to Westborough & close to Worcester for entertainment. I think Shrewsbury has more going on. You're going to have to buy a car & you can drive to entertainment.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Thanks. I like driving for fun, it's the idea of commuting that stinks. I zip a lot on the weekends to get out and hike/bird, etc. Looks like there is no way to avoid it. I think I'd rather commute an extra 15 min or so each way and not have to drive to go out on weekends. I think I'm realistically down to Salem and work in Boston, Providence or Worcester and work in Westborough. I kind of felt it might go in that direction, but I was hoping there might be a gem elsewhere. I'll look at the boroughs again though and I've not been to Shrewsbury that I can recall.

The prices in Providence are attractive (lovely places near the train station for under 120k) and the one day or so I need to go into Boston I can take the train. 90 min on a train isn't bad. Good reading time. Providence has some great restaurants, music clubs, and some cool people. I just wish I knew the Worcester scene better.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I like driving for fun, it's the idea of commuting that stinks. I zip a lot on the weekends to get out and hike/bird, etc. Looks like there is no way to avoid it. I think I'd rather commute an extra 15 min or so each way and not have to drive to go out on weekends. I think I'm realistically down to Salem and work in Boston, Providence or Worcester and work in Westborough. I kind of felt it might go in that direction, but I was hoping there might be a gem elsewhere. I'll look at the boroughs again though and I've not been to Shrewsbury that I can recall.

The prices in Providence are attractive (lovely places near the train station for under 120k) and the one day or so I need to go into Boston I can take the train. 90 min on a train isn't bad. Good reading time. Providence has some great restaurants, music clubs, and some cool people. I just wish I knew the Worcester scene better.
I will be interested in hearing your updates about Providence vs Salem. I have been considering both of those too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts