Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 PM

37 posts, read 61,553 times

Advertisements

In what Medford neighborhood is Manning St.? Is it considered Medford vs West or South Medford, etc.? My daughter will be attending Tufts Occupational Therapy graduate school and will be renting a room on Manning St. We are from the Central coast/Monterey Bay of California. This will be her first time living on the East coast. She will not have a car. I'm encouraging her to buy a cheap bike to get around Medford, especially for grocery shopping.

Anyway, I hope she chose a safe area for someone who will be doing a lot of walking and bus-taking. She's anxious to experience the seasons and the vibe of Boston and surroundings.

Thank you for any insight or advice you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:55 AM

76 posts, read 139,911 times
Medford neighborhoods don't necessarily have official borders, but I would say that is Medford Hillside. I suppose it could also be considered South Medford, depending on where you draw the line.

Regardless of what you call it, it's a safe area and close to Medford Square (the downtown area of Medford just across the Mystic River) and Tufts.

It's a great area to have a bike. She could easily get to other areas like West Medford, Teele Sq, Davis Sq, etc. Although it is hilly in places! A number of bus routes run nearby too (94, 95, 96, 101, 134, 326)

Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 AM

316 posts, read 724,124 times
I second what the previous poster said. I would tend to lump that area in with Medford Square before I'd call it Medford Hillside, which I tend to think of as being closer to Boston Ave and lower Winthrop Street. In any event, that's a nice and convenient area, and with any common sense, it is quite safe. Your daughter should have no issues.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:53 AM

560 posts, read 751,772 times
its safe. I wouldn't consider it hillside however. its just outside the sq.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I live very, very closeby and its a lovely area. While I do have a car and find it useful, I've had roommates who did not and did fine. There are tons of buses within a 10 minute walk and there is a Whole Foods less than a mile away. For basic staples, there is a Tedeschi's very close as well.

Its a very safe area. I'm a 26 year old woman who has lived here for 2 years and not had any problems. The neighborhood is a mix of young professionals/grad students and older families who have been here for a long time. I really like living here!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM

37 posts, read 61,553 times
Smile Thank you!

Thanks to all of you who so graciously replied with such positive comments! It's nice to get the lay of the land from those who live there! I know once she acclimates herself to the area and meets people who can give her even more tips, I'm sure she'll do great! Once again, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts