Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:49 PM

404 posts, read 526,601 times

Advertisements

my vote is Reading & Medford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 07:56 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I'd say places like Deerfield, S. Deerfield in WMass. In EMass, places like Salisbury and Amesbury. Decent locations and beautiful areas. I disagree that Ware is underrated. I lived there for a while and it was worse than I ever thought any place could be. (I apologize if I offend anyone, but it was convenient to nothing at all, no jobs, run down, backwards.)

Old 08-29-2014, 09:02 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
have you looked at home prices there in the past year?
Nope, but I guess Littleton property is going up fast ?

Old 08-30-2014, 06:11 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Greenfield and Pittsfield are largely overlooked in western MA and both offer high QOL and low COL. Easthampton is also great but not talked much about.

In the middle, Worcester is the eternal scrappy underdog but offers a lot of cultural happenings. Also in Central MA, the towns Westah Wistah like the Brookfields, Barre, Oakham, Spencer are overlooked, ignorantly referred to as being part of Western MA, implied to be toothless hinterlands, but offer beautiful fairly affordable and rural living. In my neck, Orange is quietly coming back, loading up on Pioneer Valley-ness rather than descending further into Winchentuckyness (ie N Central MA rust belt hopelessness disease epitomized by places like Fitchburg and Winchendon) and becoming a very nice affordable place to live, even if Athol isn't keeping pace.

In eastern spheres, Lowell and Gloucester seem not recognized enough for some reason and places like Malden and Everett seem to have their well-known tough sides but a lot to offer. In the SE, Fall River and New Bedford are rising again.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Agreed also on Dartmouth area - Westport too (pricy though)- I'd add also Fairhaven, Mattapoisett, Marion - the Buzzard's Bay shore towns with wonderful seaside scenery without the Cape Cod traffic jams.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:37 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Greenfield and Pittsfield are largely overlooked in western MA and both offer high QOL and low COL. Easthampton is also great but not talked much about.

In the middle, Worcester is the eternal scrappy underdog but offers a lot of cultural happenings. Also in Central MA, the towns Westah Wistah like the Brookfields, Barre, Oakham, Spencer are overlooked, ignorantly referred to as being part of Western MA, implied to be toothless hinterlands, but offer beautiful fairly affordable and rural living. In my neck, Orange is quietly coming back, loading up on Pioneer Valley-ness rather than descending further into Winchentuckyness (ie N Central MA rust belt hopelessness disease epitomized by places like Fitchburg and Winchendon) and becoming a very nice affordable place to live, even if Athol isn't keeping pace.

In eastern spheres, Lowell and Gloucester seem not recognized enough for some reason and places like Malden and Everett seem to have their well-known tough sides but a lot to offer. In the SE, Fall River and New Bedford are rising again.
Gloucester is a huge tourist destination with a cruise port.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:32 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Haverhill and Worcester. both get a kind of bad reputation that isn't warranted imo. couple shady corners in worcester but on the whole it's a fine city. same with haverhill

Old 08-30-2014, 02:36 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Walpole, really a lovely upper middle class suburb, that gets unfairly downrated on C-D due to the presence of the prison.

Framingham, same thing, people who only know the area around the commuter rail, base their opinion on a small area of the town. West sides (area around country club and area closer to Callaghan State Park) are upper middle class and Northeast side (Nobscott and Saxonville) is solidly middle class.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:06 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Every town has it's stereotypes, but some are old and outdated.
Some cities/Towns are really underrated and have an unfair Reputation
In my opinion Lowell and Billerica are underrated. Also Fall River is called a ghetto when it's largely working class and has much less crime than similarly sized cities (Lawrence, Lynn, New Bedford, Brockton)
Then some smaller mill towns, Clinton, Ware, Pittsfield, are kind of unfairly looked down upon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I think Quincy is hugely underrated. It's usually compared to smaller and more affluent and homogenous towns (like Milton, Norwell etc) when it is a huge city of nearly 100,000 people with different economic and racial groups . For a city, Quincy does pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Haverhill and Worcester. both get a kind of bad reputation that isn't warranted imo. couple shady corners in worcester but on the whole it's a fine city. same with haverhill
I can't speak for the south coast or west and central Massachusetts; but I do endorse Lowell, Quincy and Haverhill as being underrated. I would also add Woburn to the list. It has a nice walkable downtown, in fact most of Main Street (route 38) is walkable. It also has a healthly variety of retail options with shopping centers located within a reasonable distance of all neighborhoods. It also has a substantial amount of conservation land within walking distance of downtown near Horn Pond. I think Woburn has always existed in the socio-economic shadows of Lexington and Winchester.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:34 PM

23,567 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I can't speak for the south coast or west and central Massachusetts; but I do endorse Lowell, Quincy and Haverhill as being underrated.
I don't think Lowell is underrated. It is one of the few satellite cites to get any recognition. Quincy has been up and coming for a long time, and it's not really a secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA
In the SE, Fall River and New Bedford are rising again.
Can't really speak for New Bedford, but I was in Fall River recently and it is certainly not rising at the moment. Almost seems cursed at times.

Last edited by massnative71; 08-30-2014 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts