Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You mean no bars. Isn't Arlington a dry town or did they change that recently?
They used to be completely dry other than social organizations like KofC.

I recall the law was modified years back. I know I went out with some friends several years ago to some Indian restaurant in Arlington center and some of the party ordered drinks.

I also know a guy who said he looked forward to living in Arlington so he could "walk to the bars."

I was coming home from Cambridge this weekend and it was completely dark in Arlington around midnight. So I take it few businesses are open at night. It seems to be going back to the way it originally was.

Most of the people I know who have moved there have families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 12:35 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Arlington has 3 beer & wine stores. They serve beer, wine & mixed drinks in most of the larger eating establishments.....and, believe it or not, Arlington Center is getting a "gastrobar": the Common Ground. Which is an offshoot of the Common Ground in Allston. Arlington was a "dry town" back in the day....but the hipsters & the "new money" crowd rule the town these days.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 09-03-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
Which towns has many establishments open after midnight around here? I am specifically using word town.
Really curios.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Which towns has many establishments open after midnight around here? I am specifically using word town.
Really curios.

I can't think of any, personally. Not drinking establishments.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I can't think of any, personally. Not drinking establishments.
That was my hunch too, but I was curious after the remarks of one of the posters about Arlington center being "dark" after midnight. Most towns are. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
That was my hunch too, but I was curious after the remarks of one of the posters about Arlington center being "dark" after midnight. Most towns are. Thanks.
Kingeorge, I did not mean to imply Arlington was lesser the town whether it was open late or not.

Just was addressing the OPs original query, a single 30s's woman asking whether Waltham or Arlington was best for a person like herself.

It just seems Waltham would have a little more nightlife for a young unattached single person, if that is at all important to them.

Arlington, with its proximity to Somerville and Cambridge, might offer more in that area if the OP doesn't mind driving or going by public transportation a small ways to entertainment.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:22 PM

Default informal survey of towns

Not sure if this is great advertisement for these towns or not.

Found by searching online:

On a Wednesday night:

Littleton, at least two pubs open to 1am
Westford, at least two restaurant/pubs to 1am
Acton, at least one restaurant/pub to 12pm and another to 1am
Chelmsford, at least two restaurant/pubs to 1am
Maynard (formerly the drinking capital of Nashoba Valley) only one

Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Kingeorge, I did not mean to imply Arlington was lesser the town whether it was open late or not.

Just was addressing the OPs original query, a single 30s's woman asking whether Waltham or Arlington was best for a person like herself.

It just seems Waltham would have a little more nightlife for a young unattached single person, if that is at all important to them.

Arlington, with its proximity to Somerville and Cambridge, might offer more in that area if the OP doesn't mind driving or going by public transportation a small ways to entertainment.

I did not mean it that way either, but was curious how "conservative" this area around Cambridge is compared with others. I am also curious if single people in their thirties gravitate toward establishments that are open later and into wee hours? This is the type of scene that I have no clue about.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post

I did not mean it that way either, but was curious how "conservative" this area around Cambridge is compared with others. I am also curious if single people in their thirties gravitate toward establishments that are open later and into the wee hours? This is the type of scene that I have no clue about. I always assumed that most would not care. Kind of "been there done that, thank you very much".

Not to veer off topic too much, I also think that Arlington is much better fit in general. Waltham has its pluses, but it is still bit rough around edges.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 AM

Sorry for double posting. Some trouble with web-site today. Tricked me twice already.
Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts