Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 05:24 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
If you bring the temp too cold at night, in order to bring it back up to temp when you want, it may cost you more in the long run. 55 is a good recommendation so it is not that hard on the heating system to bring it back up. I agree with the freezing pipe thing. Some landlords have in the lease to not allow the temp to go below a certain degrees for that reason. I think that 52 is about the lowest. It is also hard on the house with all the expansion and contraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
This is great post. Thanks. You spend lot more fuel when constantly starting and stopping, than just cruising.
Yes, the optimal difference between your night and day time temperatures is 7 degrees in terms of cost savings. Any variance over 10 degrees costs you more money to heat in the long run. So if you set it to 65 during the day, then your night time temperature should be 58 or higher depending on how warm you want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:09 PM

417 posts, read 734,380 times
I've read that its a myth to keep the heat on bc it is more cost effective (or even turn it down less.) here is one such link (but you can find many with the reasoning)
https://campusops.uoregon.edu/utilit...ervation-myths

even if we turned off our heat completely only before bed though, it wouldnt get below 50 in only 8 hrs. maybe next yr when the baby is not a baby anymore i will turn it down more. i did 58 last winter.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
I built a passive solar home with a high-efficiency heating system. The furnace doesn't kick on much at all during the day when the sun's out and the house stays about 65. At night I keep it at 62. I burn about 550 to 600 gallons of propane a year. I wouldn't want the house too cold due to mold and as mentioned before it being hard on the house. It's easier to maintain a temperature in a well insulated house than to try and make large temperature movements.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:29 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Yes, the optimal difference between your night and day time temperatures is 7 degrees in terms of cost savings. Any variance over 10 degrees costs you more money to heat in the long run. So if you set it to 65 during the day, then your night time temperature should be 58 or higher depending on how warm you want it.
This flies in the face of conventional laws of heat transfer. The amount of heat lost is proportional to the temperature difference. Hence it takes more energy to keep something at a larger temperature difference than a smaller one.

Is there some reason that you think 10 degrees is optimal?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:14 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
From the Department of Energy

A common misconception associated with thermostats is that a furnace works harder than normal to warm the space back to a comfortable temperature after the thermostat has been set back, resulting in little or no savings. In fact, as soon as your house drops below its normal temperature, it will lose energy to the surrounding environment more slowly. The lower the interior temperature, the slower the heat loss. So the longer your house remains at the lower temperature, the more energy you save, because your house has lost less energy than it would have at the higher temperature. The same concept applies to raising your thermostat setting in the summer -- a higher interior temperature will slow the flow of heat into your house, saving energy on air conditioning. Check out our home heating infographic to learn more about how heating systems and thermostats interact.

Of course if you just turn off your heat overnight (when it's really cold outside) and it doesn't get that cold it means that you're going to save lots of energy because your house is well insulated. That's definitely the best situation to be in.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
I keep my house at 72 overnight. I hate cold houses. Nothing makes me dread getting up early in the morning than a cold house.

If you want lower heating bills, insulate your house and go gas, all this tinkering is a waste of time.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This flies in the face of conventional laws of heat transfer. The amount of heat lost is proportional to the temperature difference. Hence it takes more energy to keep something at a larger temperature difference than a smaller one.

Is there some reason that you think 10 degrees is optimal?
No, I didn't pass thermodynamics until my 3rd try in college so I have no opinion of my own. This is what I was told by 2 different heating/HVAC professionals: drop your thermostat by 7-10 degrees at night during the heating season and raise it 7-10 degrees during the cooling season. The links you and springmom provided makes me wonder how valid that claim is though.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
If you are in stop and go traffic, you will spend more fuel. Period. Thermodynamics theory presented doesn't take in the account different building materials, sun exposure, windows, and levels of insulation. It is not even field, far from it. However just like drivers have different styles, so the people differ at how they approach their heat. Some brake all the time, some cruse, most are in between. We can agree to disagree.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,005 times
Stop and go traffic is a bad example. In stop and go traffic you are using energy to accelerate and then you are converting kinetic energy to heat in braking (assuming a traditional, non hybrid car). That would be like instead of turning down the heat and letting the house naturally cool off, instead turning on the A/C to drop the temp 10 degrees, then turn the heat back on to bring it back up.

The reasons to set a floor below which you don't lower the temp is related to comfort, time to heat the house back up, and the potential worry about cold spots that might have pipes freeze. From a purely energy usage scenario the best thing would be to turn off the heat when not home and turn it back on when you were present. For a lot of reasons that is not practical, but the proper temperature to set an away temp to is basically a combination of how quickly your house heats/cools and how long you are going to be away. But leaving it at the same point all the time is definitely not efficient.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Last night I set the thermostat lower than normal and when I woke up in the middle of the night I felt like my face was frozen. I could not fall back asleep because it was so uncomfortable and now I'm half asleep at work. It doesn't matter how many blankets you use if your face still feels frozen. Not sure how you guys do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts