Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 AM

8 posts, read 22,809 times

Advertisements

After doing a lot of research, my family has decided these 3 towns seems to be the best for us. We have 4 young children. All under the age of 6. So, we are looking for a strong school system. We will be in the market for a 4 bedroom and 2 bathroom home in the $400K to $475K range.

I was hoping people could share some insight on these towns that I might not be privy to. If people want to send in order what towns they choose. That would be helpful. Or send pros and cons of each town.

Thank you for your help and I hopes this makes our decision easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
They're all great towns IMO. Your budget is low for a house of decent square footage and bedroom size unless you are willing to buy a house that needs a lot of work.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 22,809 times
Right now inventory is really low. However, I checked recent sold houses in these towns and my price range is doable towards 475k. So, I have a feeling I will be spending at the top of my budget.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold77 View Post
Right now inventory is really low. However, I checked recent sold houses in these towns and my price range is doable towards 475k. So, I have a feeling I will be spending at the top of my budget.
Again though, pay attention to square footage and condition of the house. A 4 BR at 1,600 Sq ft will be cramped. And if you buy a house that's bigger but needs serious work, you may still be over budget.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:53 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Any reason you are zooming in on these towns?

Old 02-26-2015, 10:26 AM

417 posts, read 734,026 times
The thing about Mansfield & Foxboro is that they are next door to each other, but Mansfield has a commuter rail and if you live in Foxboro, depending on where in Foxboro, you will drive to Sharon's or Mansfield's stations. (Which is not a problem, just keep in mind the location within the town if you plan to commute daily into the city.)

DM84- I am not sure why you are thinking OP will be over budget and looking at a house that needs a lot of work at 475k in those towns. if you go to redfin and see what's been sold for 475k and under in the last 3 months and what's on sale now in those towns, it's not 1600sq ft homes or homes with a ton of work.

My choices would be
1-Foxboro, but close to one of the commuter rails, my preference would be to the Sharon station due to proximity to the city/etc.
2- Mansfield, preferably close to foxboro to drive over to patriot place/etc.
3- Easton

Stay away from being too close due to noise/congestion to the xfinity center for concerts and patriot place for games. I like how Mansfield & Foxboro are accessible to 95 (Mansfield also to 495,) but Easton not so much- very nice town though.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 AM

44 posts, read 53,546 times
I grew up in Norton, so I'm very familiar with the three communities you mentioned. All three of them are very nice. Which one you choose is up to you.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:36 AM

295 posts, read 317,040 times
Mansfield has the mbta stop if you work in town. I think its actually a pretty underrated stop because looking closely at the schedule you can get to boston in a half hour in morn and home in around 40 min if you take the express trains.

Having said that i like easton, especially the area close to borderland state park amd seems to be more private and has more of a small town feel because its not close to 95,rt 1, or 495. But theres definitely less shopping though.

I also believe they will be expanding the stoughton commuter rail further south in the future leading to two stops in easton on mbta.(south coast rail)

Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM

Commuter rail rule number one: The published schedule is just a guide, not a reflection of reality. You should add at least 10-15 minutes to any schedule that's published.

That being said, OP mentioned nothing about commuting, but yes, only Mansfield has a commuter rail station in town.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
I have friends in Easton. It has a small town feel. It is more like Bridgewater than Brockton or Sharon. Abington, Whitman, Pembroke, Hanson are similar towns close by. It is the kind of town people live in for generations. The Stonehill college kids get a bit wild sometimes. Luckily the school is on the outskirts of town.

Borderland State Park is a highlight of the area.

Our moderator lives in that vicinity, so I'm certain she'll have some words of wisdom about the area for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts