Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,962 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Just found out that my son will work for Raytheon this summer for 12 weeks. While I am elated that he landed a summer internship, we are not familiar with that area - Sudbury, MA. I wish he thought about it more in terms of logistics, because, we live in the Midwest and I am stressing out on how best to help him relocate.

short term housing? - Are there apartments close to the Sudbury location that Raytheon employees usually stay for short term rentals? Safe neighborhood is high on our priority (I am a worry-wart mom).

Commute? - driving a car is highly unlikely because it would cost too much to rent one, and not even sure if there are rental companies that would rent to a 21 year old? Is it walkable or bikeable?

If you have any advice for us Midwesterner parents, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 01:33 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
I would try craigslist for someone renting out a room. There aren't many rental properties in Sudbury and the ones that exist are probably prohibitively expensive or not short term. Marlborough is most likely where he will be staying, many areas are bikeable but Route 20 isn't a very safe road to bike on. My neighbor growing up (in Sudbury) was killed riding his bike on Route 20 in that area. I would try to rent a car and maybe stay at the Extended Stay (15 min drive on the other side of Marlborough) as an alternative.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:21 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Look in Waltham, Marlboro, Framingham, Natick, Maynard as they are within about 10 miles and will be the more reasonable rental towns in the area. There are several Raytheon locations in the Sudbury area but most are located on Rte 20. A car will be a necessity as there is no public transportation. If for no other reason then Sudbury would not want them trash public bus riders coming to their town.....LOL

Keep the car it registered/insured in the state you live in. After all he is just visiting for the summer. He is not going to be a resident.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:40 PM

154 posts, read 257,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebtee View Post
Hello all,

Just found out that my son will work for Raytheon this summer for 12 weeks. While I am elated that he landed a summer internship, we are not familiar with that area - Sudbury, MA. I wish he thought about it more in terms of logistics, because, we live in the Midwest and I am stressing out on how best to help him relocate.

short term housing? - Are there apartments close to the Sudbury location that Raytheon employees usually stay for short term rentals? Safe neighborhood is high on our priority (I am a worry-wart mom).

Commute? - driving a car is highly unlikely because it would cost too much to rent one, and not even sure if there are rental companies that would rent to a 21 year old? Is it walkable or bikeable?

If you have any advice for us Midwesterner parents, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
Sudbury is an extremely safe town. While cycling down Route 20 is not advisable, the area in general shouldn't worry you at all. Maynard and Marlborough are probably his best bets for a short-term rental. He'll be a ways outside of Boston so he may not find the nightlife too exciting, but there are a lot of outdoor rec opportunities if he's into that. Congrats to your son on securing a good summer internship!

Old 04-25-2015, 03:49 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
A car is definitely a must in Sudbury which is an upscale suburb of Boston.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:15 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
A. Get him a used car

B. Get him a short-term rental in Marlborough

Old 04-26-2015, 12:41 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Has your son inquired about short-term housing with the employer, ie. HR-dept?
Companies hiring kids from out of town for summer internships often helps with the accommodation as well.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,962 times
Wow - THANK YOU all so much for responding to my query!

I googled the area and you are all spot on about him needing a car. The area looks really nice, and seem so 'far' from the city

I think Marlborough, Framingham are good areas to start? Framingham has a commuter rail to Boston, so that might actually be good for him to venture out on weekends, maybe.

Cars - I am afraid after reading your comments that it is something we will need to look into as well. I don't want to fork more than $3000 for a used car, am I far off with my estimate given how expensive it is in Boston cost living wise? So, with that in mind, the easiest/safest/fastest way to purchase might be from a used car lot? And sell it back to them after summer...

Alternatively, we could maybe drive his car (hardly used here actually) -to Boston or.... ship?

mmyk72 - I will ask him about possibly getting HR to assist him. I didn't even think about that - my worry wart mind just went into overdrive when he told me he got accepted.

Thank you so much for all your assistance. You've all been so great!

Last edited by eebtee; 04-26-2015 at 12:42 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 01:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Wait, he already has a car? Why wouldn't he just drive it East for the summer?

I would take Marlborough over Framingham for an apartment.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:35 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I would have him ship his existing car or do a short term car rental.

Marlborough would be best for the short term housing accommodations. It has the most going on for a young single person of the surrounding suburbs and the most apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts