Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,646 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am looking to move to Weymouth soon with two small children. My oldest will be starting first grade in the fall and my youngest will be in kindergarten so education is very important. How are Weymouth elementary schools? Especially compared other public schools int he area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 02:20 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,972 times
Most people will avoid Weymouth and go to Quincy, Hingham. Scituate etc. Weymouth is not good choice if education is very important. I do not live in the area but followed some threads on this forum about this particular town, and I must say that it is very rare to hear any good things. RE prices reflect this as well.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:03 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Most people will avoid Weymouth and go to Quincy, Hingham. Scituate etc. Weymouth is not good choice if education is very important. I do not live in the area but followed some threads on this forum about this particular town, and I must say that it is very rare to hear any good things. RE prices reflect this as well.

Good luck.
Quincy???

Old 05-27-2015, 05:05 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Quincy???
Not superb schools by any stretch, but up and coming. If OP has limited budget, it an excellent alternative to Weymouth.

Hingham and Cohasset are in the league of their own. Scituate and Norwell good but little less expensive than the other two.

Hopefully someone would be able to give OP more detail.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:48 AM

816 posts, read 996,052 times
Hi mcme1981,

I am pretty familiar with the area, since my wife and I were looking to buy a home initially in Weymouth, and we ended up in a town just south in Hanover. The general impression I got from Weymouth was it had more of a "townie" feel to it. This could be because of the white flight in the 70s, where a lot of white residents from South Boston and Dorchester fled to the southern 'burbs, especially Quincy, Weymouth, and Braintree. I wouldn't exactly call that an issue, but townies tend to not warm up to "outsiders" as quickly.

One red flag that stopped us from looking was the pretty rampant opiate problem Weymouth has. Not saying it isn't a problem anywhere else on the South Shore, but it was pretty out in the open. (Used hypodermic needles on the ground, junkies nodding out at dunkin donuts and walking around everywhere,etc) Some parts just seemed pretty grimey, especially Weymouth Landing and North Weymouth (Rte 3A area)

Now as far as schools go, there are 2 pretty good elementary schools that I know of. Ralph Talbot and Academy Avenue, both have excellent ratings and a general good reputation. If you are able to get your first grader in one of those 2, he/she will be fine. The only problem is that the Middle and High school in Weymouth are pretty bad. (I think the middle school had a 2 out of 10 rating) Maybe those schools will get better by the time you have to worry about it, but only time will tell. I know a lot of families in my town now who were originally in Weymouth, but ended up leaving with their families because they saw things declining in regards to schools, drugs, etc.

People may come on here defending Weymouth and bashing my opinion, but having almost invested ALOT of money on a home there, I did a TON of research and glad we ended up in Hanover.

Just something to think about.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:42 AM

374 posts, read 655,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Quincy???
North Quincy High School has good test scores. The place looks considerably better than Cambridge by the numbers. Yet, Cambridge made Boston Magazine's short list.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:45 AM

374 posts, read 655,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Hi mcme1981,

I am pretty familiar with the area, since my wife and I were looking to buy a home initially in Weymouth, and we ended up in a town just south in Hanover. The general impression I got from Weymouth was it had more of a "townie" feel to it. This could be because of the white flight in the 70s, where a lot of white residents from South Boston and Dorchester fled to the southern 'burbs, especially Quincy, Weymouth, and Braintree. I wouldn't exactly call that an issue, but townies tend to not warm up to "outsiders" as quickly.

One red flag that stopped us from looking was the pretty rampant opiate problem Weymouth has. Not saying it isn't a problem anywhere else on the South Shore, but it was pretty out in the open. (Used hypodermic needles on the ground, junkies nodding out at dunkin donuts and walking around everywhere,etc) Some parts just seemed pretty grimey, especially Weymouth Landing and North Weymouth (Rte 3A area)

Now as far as schools go, there are 2 pretty good elementary schools that I know of. Ralph Talbot and Academy Avenue, both have excellent ratings and a general good reputation. If you are able to get your first grader in one of those 2, he/she will be fine. The only problem is that the Middle and High school in Weymouth are pretty bad. (I think the middle school had a 2 out of 10 rating) Maybe those schools will get better by the time you have to worry about it, but only time will tell. I know a lot of families in my town now who were originally in Weymouth, but ended up leaving with their families because they saw things declining in regards to schools, drugs, etc.

People may come on here defending Weymouth and bashing my opinion, but having almost invested ALOT of money on a home there, I did a TON of research and glad we ended up in Hanover.

Just something to think about.
I would recommend Hanover. I have seen a lot of negative things about many other towns in the area.
I do not hear so many things about Hanover. Back in the day they didn't participate in things such as the Math Team league. They had a big football interest. Their Thanksgiving day rival was Norwell; Norwell's highest paid teacher was the football coach.

I think that they are squared away. They have a new high school building.

I know a couple that just left Weymouth. The worries about the Elementary schools are serious.

Bill

Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 AM

56 posts, read 73,158 times
Several family members of mine live in Weymouth. Most have sent the kids to Catholic schools. A few are in Weymouth public schools and it doesn't seem like it was a good idea. At least one of them got into physical fights in high school (this is a girl). The one who has graduated from high school did not go to college, although their younger sibling plans to apply at least. Drugs are rampant and it seems like many kids "get into trouble" in that school system. I would 100% choose Quincy over Weymouth if you want to stay in a similar budget.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:27 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
You would be much better off in Braintree than either Quincy (which is becoming rather $$$) or Weymouth. And yes Hanover would be a good choice too, if you can swing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts