Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,458 times

Advertisements

My young family and I are moving from DC to Concord. There are multiple drivers behind this decision and I am hoping to get some feedback to determine how crazy or not crazy we are.

1. Better public school system in Concord (feedback welcome)
2. Slower pace compared to DC / better quality of living (feedback welcome)
3. Lower housing costs (feedback welcome)
4. Small community feel...
5. Access to the outdoors...

We will really miss the museums, shopping, diversity, and international flavor of DC...(feedback on how Concord will compare welcome).

If anyone wants to throw their analysis into the mix, please do.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:04 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
1) Probably
2) Doubtful if you work in Boston
3) Perhaps, but not by much and the cost of living here is still pretty high.
4) Sort of
5) Yes.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaMcclelland View Post
My young family and I are moving from DC to Concord. There are multiple drivers behind this decision and I am hoping to get some feedback to determine how crazy or not crazy we are.

1. Better public school system in Concord (feedback welcome)
2. Slower pace compared to DC / better quality of living (feedback welcome)
3. Lower housing costs (feedback welcome)
4. Small community feel...
5. Access to the outdoors...

We will really miss the museums, shopping, diversity, and international flavor of DC...(feedback on how Concord will compare welcome).

If anyone wants to throw their analysis into the mix, please do.

Thanks.
1. Yes? Depends where you are moving from in DC. We do have better public schools in general.
2. Depends on your job, but I highly doubt it's that much slower here. Commutes and the daily grind are pretty bad in both cities. Maybe if you're a lawyer it's a little better up here What do you do for work?
3. No, housing is more expensive here. Even Potomac or Chevy Chase don't compare to towns like Weston and Wellesley. I'm surprised you're asking this question though. If you've looked at any listings in Concord you'll know it's not cheap either (probably comparable to Potomac). We've had a couple members move from DC who talked about sticker shock. I personally know a couple people who moved from Boston to DC because rent was significantly cheaper down there.
4 + 5) Yes on both counts. Both are reasons why I stayed here after living in NJ and Atlanta previously. But I really can't help you compare to DC in that regard because I've only visited and not lived there (I have family in Alexandria).

Old 06-21-2015, 08:25 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Both previous posters were spot on.

Here, it is all about budget, and which town and lifestyle you can afford. Concord area is beautiful with high quality of living, and high RE prices. Your job should be close by, since Boston area traffic is miserable.

Do not forget long, harsh, and fairly costly winters (heating, winter clothes, wear and tear on homes, people and cars), and very, very old housing stock. Newer build is rarer, and space is at the premium. Many regular updates in majority of homes in the US, are often luxury in NE and MA.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:12 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Concord is anything but international. If you are looking for a little of that Lexington and Arlington would suit you much better.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:05 AM

132 posts, read 182,282 times
I guess if you compare DC proper with Concord but it's not a fair comparison. DC to Boston? Not too different.
Affluent Washington suburb to Concord? Not too different.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:37 AM

779 posts, read 876,966 times
I do not live in Concord, but did move from the DC area (Chevy Chase, MD) to the Boston 'burbs (I'm on the South Shore) back in 2004.

I would say:
1. Schools here are better comparing DC 'burbs to Boston 'burbs, though I'm no expert
2. The pace is actually faster here and feels more competitive. I'd say the quality if living is better, though. For me proximity to the ocean and mountains is key and while there was a lot to do in the DC area, I think there is more variety here
3. I'd say housing costs are similar, maybe even slightly cheaper in DC. I find that the cost of maintaining a home is very high here (though I live in an antique, so that might play a part)
4. More of a community feel in the Boston 'burbs vs. the DC 'burbs. Also feels much more quaint.
5. Access to the outdoors is prevalent here--you'd be hard pressed to find an area that doesn't have access to parks close by.

One thing that was an adjustment for me was transitioning from the metro to the T. The metro is much more efficient than the T--it's just a newer infrastructure. I spend a lot more time driving now than I did in DC (I was also closer to the city in DC). I also miss access to the museums, especially now that I have kids.

ETA: I forgot to mention traffic. As a person who has been on the beltway during rush hour traffic, it's hard to imagine me saying that Boston traffic is worse, but it is. Again, I'm on the South Shore, so I think we have it the worst, but the traffic here kills me (not just during the week, but on weekends, too)

Last edited by NewfieMama; 06-22-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 04:31 PM

226 posts, read 386,541 times
Concord is lovely. I can't comment on pace since I've never lived in dc

I think you'd love concord.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:32 PM

466 posts, read 643,762 times
Concord IS lovely, if you're ok with touristy feel and lack of grocery stores or practical shopping in the immediate area. I remember the 200-year old house we looked at near the center.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:58 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
Concord IS lovely, if you're ok with touristy feel and lack of grocery stores or practical shopping in the immediate area. I remember the 200-year old house we looked at near the center.
And I still remember the 2 bedroom condo I looked at in West Concord that was listed for $199k in 2008. I actually considered it for a little while just to get my kids into Concord schools until I could afford a single family house in town. It was a gamble I didn't want to take, but I still think about that cute condo within walking distance to the train. Not to mention its worth a whole lot more money now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts