Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,816,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
The company where my husband would be working is in Lexington. I'm not a member of the Mass bar, so I'm not sure I'd be getting a job at a law firm (or if I'd even want one if I could get one.) If I can find a job at a company, either in the legal department (which might or might not require me to become a member of the MA bar), or in some capacity where I'm not actually practicing law but using legal knowledge, that would be great, but I'm not counting on it. The housing budget is based just on my husband's job.

We don't really want to move twice -- wherever we go, we want the kids to start in a school and stay there, so wherever they start, we'd be committed to staying in that school district. (11 year old is already upset enough about the move, and we don't want to do that to him twice.) Plus, we'd have to pay moving expenses the second time, so we want to use whatever the company offers in terms of relo assistance on moving into the house.

I'm okay with an hour commute -- I just don't want it to regularly stretch beyond that. And there's no guarantee that any job I might find would be in Boston -- it could very well be in one of the suburban towns. But there's a good enough chance that a job for me would be in Boston, so I don't want to live so far out that it's impossible to consider a job there.
Sorry, I missed that right in the first sentence of your original post. I think you'd be relatively happy in Lexington in that case. It does feel like a suburb, yet is relatively close to Cambridge/Somerville to take advantage of the food scene. It's a great general commuting location for yours or your husband's future commute (actually anything along Rt-128 between Lexington and Needham is good). Arlington is really hyped on these forums, but personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money there. Its convenient location is the main reason housing prices have skyrocketed there recently. The schools aren't bad, but they're just not at the level I think you're looking for. Arlington's population is also a lot more diverse than Lexington's. They have a fairly large housing authority (low income and Section 8 housing) and the town still has a high blue collar population. Lexington on the other hand is very homogeneous with a high white collar Caucasian and Chinese population. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but everyone has their own preference.

Last edited by Parsec; 07-27-2015 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,743,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Sorry, I missed that right in the first sentence of your original post. I think you'd be relatively happy in Lexington in that case. It does feel like a suburb, yet is relatively close to Cambridge/Somerville to take advantage of the food scene. It's a great general commuting location for yours or your husband's future commute (actually anything along Rt-128 between Lexington and Needham is good). Arlington is really hyped on these forums, but personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money there. Its convenient location is the main reason housing prices have skyrocketed there recently. The schools aren't bad, but they're just not at the level I think you're looking for. Arlington's population is also a lot more diverse than Lexington's. They have a fairly large housing authority (low income and Section 8 housing) and the town still has a high blue collar population. Lexington on the other hand is very homogeneous with a high white collar Caucasian and Chinese population. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but everyone has their own preference.
So much misinformation in this post. Arlington is hyped on these boards for good reason. Yes it has a convenient location, but that's not the main reason house prices have skyrocketed there. The main reason is all of the grade schools have been rebuilt recently & the performance of those schools have been outstanding. The Brackett & Dallin schools are some of the best schools in the state. Arlington now has better overall school ratings than Brookline, Winchester & Newton North high school. That's what is driving young families to town.

As for not spending 700k to 900k in Arlington & insinuating that's not a good investment, well, you're off-base. These numbers you gave are fast becoming the average price, not high end any longer. New construction in Arlington runs well over 1.2 million dollars & most any home in the Moringside section of town runs close to a million. Cripes...when is the last time you drove through town....past the new Whole Foods, Trader Joe's & multiple Starbucks. It's not 1988 here any longer

Arlington, like Lexington, has a housing authority & some Section 8. Arlington does not have a large welfare/ sprawling population....just utter nonsense.

Arlington is 85% white & Lexington is 75% white. Arlington is 10% Asian. Lexington is 20% Asian. Both towns are about 5% other....pretty much the same demographics. Arlington is no more or less diverse than Lexington. The only thing in your post approaching reality concerning Arlington is that it has a larger blue collar population as opposed to Lexington & it's always been that way. For good or ill that blue collar demographic is being pushed out of town at a rapid rate.

Sorry for going off topic, but that kind of misinformation was just too much I still advised the OP to look in Belmont because Arlington does not seem quite the fit for her, but I bet in 5 years, if current trends continue, Arlington will be a top 10 school system in the state.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-27-2015 at 10:07 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 09:53 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
I think you should keep Concord on your list. Concord Center is anything but the sticks. The center is very walkable with Helen's for breakfast, Trails End Cafe for a late farm to table dinner, Emerson Umbrella for art events, historic library, its own train stop and much more. One drawback, your budget may be a bit low for the location.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:55 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
So much misinformation in this post. Arlington is hyped on these boards for good reason. Yes it has a convenient location, but that's not the main reason house prices have skyrocketed there. The main reason is all of the grade schools have been rebuilt recently & the performance of those schools have been outstanding. The Brackett & Dallin schools are some of the best schools in the state. Arlington now has better overall school ratings than Brookline, Winchester & Newton North high school. That's what is driving young families to town.

As for not spending 700k to 900k in Arlington. These numbers you gave are fast becoming the average price, not high end any longer. New construction in Arlington runs well over 1.2 million dollars & most any home in the Moringside section of town runs close to a million.

Arlington, like Lexington, has a housing authority & some Section 8. Arlington does not have a large welfare/ sprawling population....just utter nonsense.

Arlington is 85% white & Lexington is 75% white Arlington is 10% Asian Lexington is 20% Asian. Bother towns are about 5% other....pretty much the same demographics. The only thing in your post approaching reality concerning Arlington is that it has a larger blue collar population as opposed to Lexington & it's always been that way. For good or ill that blue collar demographic is being pushed out of town at a rapid rate.
A large part of Arlington's public housing is senior housing.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:09 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,334,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The Brackett & Dallin schools are some of the best schools in the state. Arlington now has better overall school ratings than Brookline, Winchester & Newton North high school.
What is this conclusion based on? Especially the Brackett and Dallin claims? Both are quite fine but Dallin as best in the state? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B28...ew?usp=sharing

Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
What is this conclusion based on? Especially the Brackett and Dallin claims? Both are quite fine but Dallin as best in the state? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B28...ew?usp=sharing
Schooldigger puts the Brackett as 5 star & 36th best in the state. Puts the Dallin as 5 star & 56th in the state, but the Dallin is catching up. Brackett ranks in the top 4% of grade schools in MA. Dallin ranks in the top 6% of grade schools in MA. I said these 2 schools are "some" of the best schools in the state...not the best.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-27-2015 at 10:40 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
A large part of Arlington's public housing is senior housing.
Yup. Arlington has extensive senior housing which I suspect shows up as subsidized housing if people are looking up stats.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-27-2015 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 12:32 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Get ready for a somerville recommendation!!

Old 07-28-2015, 04:33 AM

466 posts, read 644,173 times
As you can see from above, Arlington strives. Lexington is there already.

Both are fine investments, but the same purchase in Lexington would be a better investment. You'll get less house for the same money though and competition is fierce in your price point, at which there is very little decent inventory.

I think Belmont is a good choice for you as well.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:38 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
As you can see from above, Arlington strives. Lexington is there already.

Both are fine investments, but the same purchase in Lexington would be a better investment. You'll get less house for the same money though and competition is fierce in your price point, at which there is very little decent inventory.

I think Belmont is a good choice for you as well.
If by "investment" you mean a better place to live, then fine. If by "investment" you mean has a greater chance of appreciating, wouldn't the town that's up-and-coming have more room to appreciate than the town that's already there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts