Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 AM

229 posts, read 384,763 times

Advertisements

I would like to add a screen room, or a screen-in patio:
- Who do I find? A design and build company, or a general contractor?
- Will be great if anyone has any recommendations.
- Does the company handle the permitting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 01:47 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Before you spend big bucks building one (my friend paid $60k for hers), be certain you will actually use it! They are one of the worst home additions in terms of adding value to your home, so they are only worth it if you get many years of good use out of it. My wife made it one of her non-negotiable requirements when we were house hunting, but she still hasn't used it since we moved in 2 years ago. I don't mind because I use it as a 2nd shed now.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:20 PM

Oh wow. Does it cost so much? But to clarify, I meant a screen-room, not a sun-room. It will be unheated. But I should pause, given your note about the poor returns.

Perhaps I should fix up my cracking bluestone front entrance walkway first.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:52 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
I am confused by what you mean by screen-room. Screened-in porch? New yard structure like a gazebo? Home-theater?

If you have an existing porch and you want custom built wooden screens--that should not be huge cost, and it will add value to your quality of life, and your home, if done tastefully. If you are building something from scratch, and need permits since you are adding to an existing footprint- that is a completely different ballgame, and costs can be high. Parsec gave you great advice.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:23 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Follow the links:

https://www.google.com/search?q=scre...FQjPgAodT6gNLA

Old 08-03-2015, 03:40 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Before you spend big bucks building one (my friend paid $60k for hers), be certain you will actually use it! They are one of the worst home additions in terms of adding value to your home, so they are only worth it if you get many years of good use out of it. My wife made it one of her non-negotiable requirements when we were house hunting, but she still hasn't used it since we moved in 2 years ago. I don't mind because I use it as a 2nd shed now.
Our house has a screened in porch. We use it a few times per year. When I was buying the house the seller was the original owner and he said the builder wanted to put a deck there. I almost strangled him on the spot because I would have rather have had the deck.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM

132 posts, read 182,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Our house has a screened in porch. We use it a few times per year. When I was buying the house the seller was the original owner and he said the builder wanted to put a deck there. I almost strangled him on the spot because I would have rather have had the deck.
ha ha, my house came with a jumbo deck. I wish it was a screened in porch. In fact, the owners I bought from took down a screened in porch to put in the big deck with built in hot tub. I hate it so much. I can't wait until I can rip it out and get some of my side yard back. I think screened in porches make great transitions from inside to outside.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:03 PM

Wonderful problems you guys have...

Old 08-03-2015, 04:05 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
Oh wow. Does it cost so much? But to clarify, I meant a screen-room, not a sun-room. It will be unheated. But I should pause, given your note about the poor returns.

Perhaps I should fix up my cracking bluestone front entrance walkway first.
That was the cost for a screened porch attached to the house. That includes footings and support beams for the floor, 3 walls with screens and removable storm windows (for pollen season or else you'll be mopping it every weekend before you can use it), ceiling, exterior roof shingles, plus framing a new sliding door leading from the dining room into the screen room. It's pretty big (fits a grill and a 10-person dining table), but I figure it still would've been around $40k for an average size screened porch. She has a ceiling fan in hers and a couple electrical outlets to plug in a portable heaters in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Haha, my wife wanted the screened porch and I wanted a deck so we had to find a house with BOTH. Now that we have lived in the house for a while, we would've preferred a 60' deck that spanned the entire back of the house instead of instead of 1 porch and 1 deck. Or a deck plus a patio and firepit. Sometimes you think you want something, but you end up never using it. Live and learn.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:22 PM

132 posts, read 182,345 times
I guess we didn't answer your questions...

I'm talking to an architect because I have other things that I'm exploring that I will definitely need one for. I think if you want something simple an experienced contractor could handle it. Of course you can always use a design/build firm. Make sure they are near you. Contractor takes care of all permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts