Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:48 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklingforest View Post
ha ha, my house came with a jumbo deck. I wish it was a screened in porch. In fact, the owners I bought from took down a screened in porch to put in the big deck with built in hot tub. I hate it so much. I can't wait until I can rip it out and get some of my side yard back. I think screened in porches make great transitions from inside to outside.
I have both a screened in porch and a deck. We use the porch much more than the deck. I use it every day from late March to the end of October. It has a ceiling fan and 4 outlets (code). I can plug in a heater when it gets chilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 08:06 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklingforest View Post
ha ha, my house came with a jumbo deck. I wish it was a screened in porch. In fact, the owners I bought from took down a screened in porch to put in the big deck with built in hot tub. I hate it so much. I can't wait until I can rip it out and get some of my side yard back. I think screened in porches make great transitions from inside to outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Haha, my wife wanted the screened porch and I wanted a deck so we had to find a house with BOTH. Now that we have lived in the house for a while, we would've preferred a 60' deck that spanned the entire back of the house instead of instead of 1 porch and 1 deck. Or a deck plus a patio and firepit. Sometimes you think you want something, but you end up never using it. Live and learn.
At some point, I'm definitely going to add a deck next to the porch. I think it will be a great combination. I have a number of other projects that need to get done first though. I need to sell a lot of houses to fund all the projects on my wish list.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I love homes with big screen in front porch rooms. Those are a rare find in New England.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:37 PM

248 posts, read 342,906 times
Our house came with a screened porch. We really don't use it that much. Mostly, it holds plants. We used it last fall when cleaning/sorting gallons and gallons of wild grapes we'd picked to make jelly. My son sometimes uses it for messy projects. Otherwise, it is a place for the dog to hang out and watch rabbits. Maybe we'd use it more if we had something other than a picnic table and a few uncomfortable wrought iron chairs in . But, a lot of snow gets in there in the winter (it faces north), so anything out there has to be weather proof, as I'm not carting stuff down to the basement every fall.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKay9 View Post
Our house came with a screened porch. We really don't use it that much. Mostly, it holds plants. We used it last fall when cleaning/sorting gallons and gallons of wild grapes we'd picked to make jelly. My son sometimes uses it for messy projects. Otherwise, it is a place for the dog to hang out and watch rabbits. Maybe we'd use it more if we had something other than a picnic table and a few uncomfortable wrought iron chairs in . But, a lot of snow gets in there in the winter (it faces north), so anything out there has to be weather proof, as I'm not carting stuff down to the basement every fall.
We have all-weather wicker furniture. It stays out there all year.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:57 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
We have all-weather wicker furniture. It stays out there all year.
I assume plastic/resin, artificial wicker would work just fine. Remove/store any cushions in construction grade trash bags and leave them on the porch during the winter.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:50 PM

187 posts, read 217,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
Oh wow. Does it cost so much? But to clarify, I meant a screen-room, not a sun-room. It will be unheated. But I should pause, given your note about the poor returns.

Perhaps I should fix up my cracking bluestone front entrance walkway first.
We love our 3 season room in the spring, summer and part of the fall. We eat dinner out on the table there, held a small party in July with all the food in the room and then the party moved to the backyard. In the first house we owned, we had a front porch and loved it. We moved a little over a year ago and at first thought we would really miss the porch, but we use the 3 season room even more, its a place to eat and entertain. 60k to build on is crazy!

Old 08-05-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
Oh wow. Does it cost so much? But to clarify, I meant a screen-room, not a sun-room. It will be unheated. But I should pause, given your note about the poor returns.

Perhaps I should fix up my cracking bluestone front entrance walkway first.
I think ours was more like 10K, if that. Just a screened-in porch. No windows, no heat.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I think ours was more like 10K, if that. Just a screened-in porch. No windows, no heat.
Wow, that's cheap. The quotes I'm getting to extend my deck are more than that!

3cents: Just get 1 or 2 quotes for a ballpark figure so you can prioritize your projects.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 AM

It was part of a bigger renovation project and really just involved enclosing one end of the deck and making that end a porch. We were paying for the deck flooring anyway and the crew was already there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts