Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 03:52 PM

77 posts, read 127,457 times

Advertisements

After leaving Boston 25 years ago I'm considering moving back home to NE, originally from CT. I work in IT testing software and could likely work remotely, at least for awhile. Have a brother who lives in southern New Hampshire and a sister who lives in Charlestown. While I think I'd like NH being in late 40's and single I don't know if that is the best idea? I need to find other single folks to hang out with and mix with if that makes sense. I'm into outdoorsy stuff particarly water sports, kayaking, sailing, hiking etc... Have a 23 foot sailboat I could bring with me if I can find a suitable place to sail it. I'd like to be close to my brother and sister but also close to the ocean and commuter rail. Looking for a descent town not too sketchy somewhat affordable which provides access to the city. I'm okay with living in a quiet area and going into the city if I want excitement. For one year I'd likely need to rent a place until settled. Once I'm ready to buy I could afford up to about $250-330K for a townhouse, something low maintenance. Any helpful advice appreciated or if one has any opinions about living in NH versus north shore? Thanks, good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 03:57 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Your budget might be a little low for something decent on the N. Shore. Maybe the Portsmouth area?

Old 10-01-2015, 04:26 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
RE prices went up quite a bit in a last decade. If you do not need too much space I would look at Beverly, Salem, maybe Newburyport for a smaller 1-2 bed condo. TH are rarer, and might be more expensive, but who knows, maybe you bump into something decent. If you want to be closer action then Cambridge, Watertown, Waltham, Arlington, Charleston etc..but they will cost you plenty more overall.

Anything newer and more updated will probably cost you more, but if you are not needing all the bells and whistles, and understand that housing stock is much older here, then from where you come from, you can do well. My advice is to rent first to acclimate, and then figure out your long term plan.

Portsmouth NH is very good suggestion too. NH will be cheaper, and if low budget is really important, look there first. Make sure you understand tax issues if you end up living in NH but working in MA.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:01 PM

649 posts, read 817,019 times
Eastie. Nobody ever says move to Eastie on this forum but it is dense, walkable, on the subway, and becoming more gentrified slowly therefore affordable. Also there is a marina, you can moor your boat and walk to it from your house. I have friends in Eastie and they LOVE it. But it is not for everyone. Being single in your 40s also lends itself to the Cambridge, Somerville, Arlington stretch. Join a cycling club and meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts