Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 606 times

Advertisements

I am starting a job downtown Boston this fall and I am starting to look for rentals now. We are willing to move anytime after 4/1. I have 2 kids, one in elementary school and one in preschool, so we are looking for a place with 2+ bedrooms 1.5+ baths, preferably 1500+ sq ft. Budget is $2200-2700/month. I've been looking for a couple of months, but there isn't much on the market and the things that come up that I do like move quickly. We are AA so we prefer something that is more diverse. We are in Belmont now, but have outgrown our unit and don't feel the need to stay locally. Ideally, we are looking for something with a 30-45 minute commute downtown. We prefer metro west or south of Boston, but there is so little out there that I'm wondering if we need to wait of take something that's more expensive than we'd like before prices get even higher. We would like something that has a bit of yard and prefer a single family or a townhouse.

So far, I've been looking in the following towns: Belmont, Milton, Arlington, Winchester, Needham, Wellesley, Newton, and Sharon. We liked Sharon, but the commute would be too far for my husband. Milton seems great but there just isn't a lot out there and what is there is pricier than I'd like such as http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent..._zm/?3col=true

Should we be waiting a month or two? Will rentals start to come on the market in the late spring/early summer?

Last edited by mlm2; 02-28-2016 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 07:05 AM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
There will be MA RE experts here who will know much more, but it occurs to me as a college teacher that students, as they move away in the summer (having graduated) may open up the rental markets a bit in the Boston area starting in April/May/June?

I am looking at rentals in the Boston area, too, and agree the selection is limited in many of the nicer towns.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:05 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I see no reason to wait. Good rentals get snatched up fast no matter the season. I always tell people to be prepared to write a deposit check on the spot when viewing apartments.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:28 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
There will be usual flood of rentals starting in March or April. That being said, good places do tend to go quickly. If you see something that you like jump immediately.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts