Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,096 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

There's a great job beckoning my husband from Lexington, MA. We live in Los Angeles and were seriously considering it, but then I discovered information about the abundance of ticks and their diseases.

While I know we can get Lyme here- the amount of ticks around town and even in the woods is significantly less here. I think we only had about 50 confirmed cases of Lyme as compared to the over 3,000 cases confirmed in MA.

We need to move into a bigger house and better town so we've been shopping. This job perfectly matches my husband's skill set as he is an expert in a particular niche. Most likely they won't match his pay right now, but he would have the chance to go to MIT and get his PHD.

I like the schools. I love this town of Acton. If it weren't for the ticks I'd be so excited. I suffer from a bit of anxiety and the thought of little poppy seed sized ticks hiding in my children's ears or private parts terrifies me. I have three kids, two large dogs, and two indoor/outdoor cats. Doing tick checks every day sounds very stressful.

SO. My question is-- Are ticks a major concern for this area and is chronic Lyme a huge problem? Am I getting the wrong idea from my internet research?

All in all my family's health is my biggest concern.

Last edited by mermaspy; 12-04-2015 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 02:21 PM

161 posts, read 231,466 times
I live in Acton. We have 2 kids and a dog, and our house backs up to woods that deer regularly prance through. I have had Lyme. I knew the warning signs, sought treatment immediately, and was fine within a few days of antibiotics. Lyme is a concern in the northeast, but I think it is just one of those things you learn to deal with - like snow in the winter. You wear appropriate clothes, landscape your yard appropriately, use repellent, do tick checks, and educate yourself on symptoms to watch out for. The tick checks are not a big deal. Usually, after spending a significant time outside, my kids need a shower anyway. So, I throw them in the tub and do the tick check at that time.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:21 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,245,996 times
Is Acton only place? Did you even visited this area yet?

If you live closer to Cambridge/Boston urban core, abundant with family homes on smaller lots and sidewalks--ticks are not concern. Acton is more spread out, car oriented, with country vibe, but far from the not only place to live if you move to MA.

Acton is certainly good town where your housing dollars stretches little further. but you could also look in places like Arlington, Watertown, or Belmont, which are more semi-urban in character, with sidewalks, shops, and no ticks in your backyard unless you are backing into conservation areas, or your home is on the town outskirts. Same applies to closer to town center neighborhoods in Concord and Lexington. There are options for sure.

Ticks in MA are a fact of life when in the woods, with roaming pets, or having big acreage far in the burbs, but dressing accordingly, checking diligently, and using repellent is what people do. Most hike freely, and Lyme is not big topic around here. I would personally avoid living where daily checkups are a must, too.

You know what your priorities are when hunting for a new home, but all of us compromise on something when buying RE.

Good luck.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:45 PM

10,037 posts, read 15,698,242 times
Martha's Vineyard has a big problem with Lyme disease, I'm not sure anywhere else in the state does.

I live somewhere kingeorge would no doubt consider "rural" (2 acres backs up to conservation land). We get lots of deer wandering through the yard, none of us or the dogs have ever gotten Lyme.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:04 PM

26,660 posts, read 28,733,368 times
We live on the north shore and our dog got Lyme Disease. He was covered in ticks; even after we had pulled about a dozen off, the vet found 24 more. Of course we live by the ocean and ticks live around the salt marshes and grasses. Luckily we caught it soon enough so that with antibiotics and a vaccination, the dog is still doing great two years later. He still has the Lyme antibodies in his system though. As a previous poster said, the important thing is to catch it in time.

It's just a part of life now. You have to look out if you've been out in the woods or out walking around. Not so much in a built up suburb or city. People do live in towns like Acton and if ticks were a huge problem I don't think anyone would live there.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:11 AM

404 posts, read 527,562 times
I'm surprised how many ppl are unaware lyme disease was created by the US govt:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum...Disease_Center

I just went thru this exact dilemma with my wife. I urge you don't move to acton if lyme concerns you. The biggest benefit of living in towns like acton, groton, westford, concord etc is the abundance of natural space (hiking, woods, outdoor life). If you are too worried about ticks to enjoy it, this benefit is canceled.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:23 AM

513 posts, read 648,529 times
Take a look at the article below, which shows the incidence rate of Lyme by town. Acton had about 166 cases per 100,000 residents. Compare to other towns, Acton has a moderate risk of Lyme.
I live in a rural area. My town, according to this map, has about the same incidence rate of Lyme as Acton. Soon after we moved here, my husband got Lyme. It is nasty, but treatable. With antibiotics, he was fine after a week. It has been three years and he has had no further issues. Neither me nor my kids have had an issue with Lyme or ticks.
The bottom line is you have to practice prevention because even if you live in an area with a lower incidence of Lyme, you could contract it. Bug spray and tick checks go a long way as does recognizing the symptoms of the illness. We never saw the tick on my husband, so we had no idea that he contracted Lyme. Thankfully, his doctor recognized the symptoms right away.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...pWM/story.html

Old 12-05-2015, 06:27 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,364,973 times
Well don't vacation on the Cape or South Shore if you are afraid of Lyme either. It's an epidemic.

Most people I know on Cape have had or been treated for it. It amazes me how many people are unaware of the prevalence of tick born illnesses like Lyme, Babesiosis and Anoplasmosis and now red meat allergies? from the bite of a Lone Star Tick- which are very fast and very aggressive.

There's a new tick in town - News - capecodtimes.com - Hyannis, MA

Tick-borne diseases on the rise - News - capecodtimes.com - Hyannis, MA

Old 12-05-2015, 07:51 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,705,099 times
I don't think this is something worth stressing about. Just like people don't avoid LA because of earthquakes.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:38 AM

434 posts, read 511,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
I'm surprised how many ppl are unaware lyme disease was created by the US govt:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum...Disease_Center
Do you have any proof of this other than a wiki link to a book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts