Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 AM

10,037 posts, read 15,698,242 times

Advertisements

lorilou, they used to "nudge" that element into TriCountry High School until they balked at having all the problem kids dumped on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 02:14 PM

278 posts, read 1,064,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
lorilou, they used to "nudge" that element into TriCountry High School until they balked at having all the problem kids dumped on them.
I see what they mean...
But, like anything else, you try to do the best with what you have.
Still, on some days, I see these kids and hear stories from my own kids, and it's enough to make you want to climb under a rock somewhere.
...okay, maybe that was a bit melodramatic, but you know what I mean!
~lorilou

Old 03-12-2008, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,387 times
Default elementary music programs

Also relocating to the Franklin, N attleboro, wrentham area and looking for good elementary music programs. Both my children attend a public school in the Berkshires with excellent music programs as well as foreign language programs. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,176 times
Default Received a quality education at King Philip

I recently graduated King Philip High School in 2005. In fact, I went through the Wrentham/ King Philip public school system all my life. I can attest to the fact that I had a quality education. I now attend Northeastern University, a very prestigious private institution ( ranked in the US News and World Report top 100). In fact, the valedictorian of my class is now a senior at Duke University. The salutatorian attends Cornell. 85% of my classmates now attend public/private 4 year institutions, roughly 3% went into the military, and another 5% or so went to 2 year institutions. My class had roughly 263 students. Some of theschools my classmates now attend include: Boston College, Boston University, Brandeis University, Umass Amherst, UConn, UNH, Tufts University, and Syracuse University. I believe all these schools are listed in the top 100 in US News most recent rankings. Also, multiple KP alum have attended the aforementioned BC (5 in my class alone), Cornell, BU, and Brown. All very prestigious schools.
The high school offers numerous AP classes, has good MCAS scores last time I checked, and numerous extra-curricular activites. The sports programs is not as good as Franklin or North Attleboro. However, KP has produced two major league pitchers ( Joe Johnson and Jeff Plympton), as well as a professional football player, Lofa Tatupu ( class of 01). Not bad for a relatively small school. The music program is also top notch.
With all that being said, I believe FHS and North Attleboro High are also very good schools. They are all rivals in the Hockomock League. Franklin and KP particularly. For what its worth, either of these schools would be a fine choice.
I would tend to stay away from the private schools however. Xaverian Brothers High School costs roughly 10k a year and my old classmates from elementary and middle school who went the private route did not do significantly better than their counterparts. Especially when the price is taken into consideration. For anecdotal evidence, one of my uncle attended KP received a BS in computer science and than his Masters from Old Dominion and has now worked for Microsoft for over 14 years. My other uncle attended Xaverian went to Old Dominion, dropped out after a semester, went to Umass, dropped out, finished his Bachelor's at Northeastern and now works for EMC, but makes about 25K a year less than his brother. Bishop Feehan is also expensive and doesn't yield significantly better results IMHO. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts