Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:00 PM

101 posts, read 116,098 times

Advertisements

'Too much affordable housing in western mass and too little in eastern'

There are waaay more jobs in the eastern part of the state than there are on the western part. Im pretty sure that was the point you were trying to make. Ive said on here before that it would be great if there were more job opportunities in places like Worcester or Springfield...but there arent. And the further people live from boston the worse the commute into boston. I dont know how in the hell these people who make under 35k are surviving around these parts. Seems hard to believe that half of boston makes under 35k. Theres nowhere in boston, not even mattapan, that someone could be living comfortably on that...is half the city on welfare? Lol..wouldnt suprise me in this godforsaken liberal place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:44 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium78 View Post
'Too much affordable housing in western mass and too little in eastern'

There are waaay more jobs in the eastern part of the state than there are on the western part. Im pretty sure that was the point you were trying to make. Ive said on here before that it would be great if there were more job opportunities in places like Worcester or Springfield...but there arent. And the further people live from boston the worse the commute into boston. I dont know how in the hell these people who make under 35k are surviving around these parts. Seems hard to believe that half of boston makes under 35k. Theres nowhere in boston, not even mattapan, that someone could be living comfortably on that...is half the city on welfare? Lol..wouldnt suprise me in this godforsaken liberal place.
That number is per worker. Put two family members making $35K each and all of a sudden it's $70K household income. It's not living large by any stretch but it's enough to keep the family off of public assistance.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
That number is per worker. Put two family members making $35K each and all of a sudden it's $70K household income. It's not living large by any stretch but it's enough to keep the family off of public assistance.
The marriage rate among Millennials is dropping like a stone. Only 26% marry before age 29. The economic reality for the working class is that you need to get married to someone with at least your income level and stay married.

The last time I looked a few months ago, it looked like it would take about $90K of household income to buy a starter home that needs some TLC in a GreatSchools 7 town. $70K lands you in a GreatSchools 5 town and continues the socioeconomic self-segregation.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:11 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The marriage rate among Millennials is dropping like a stone. Only 26% marry before age 29. The economic reality for the working class is that you need to get married to someone with at least your income level and stay married.

The last time I looked a few months ago, it looked like it would take about $90K of household income to buy a starter home that needs some TLC in a GreatSchools 7 town. $70K lands you in a GreatSchools 5 town and continues the socioeconomic self-segregation.
How many of them marry after 29? Under 30 was generally considered too young to get married among my guy friends 10 years ago. Also, as people marry later and put off children until later they end up with higher incomes when they actually do have kids.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:16 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

They're smart. People shouldn't get married that young. Finish school, get established in a career path, live a bit, date around and find the right person. The divorce rates for people 30+ with college education plummets. It's not surprise and getting married when still a child in one's 20s is generally ill advised.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:21 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Right if anything it's the high income people who end up marrying other high income people and here we all are with this crazy real estate market..

Old 06-23-2016, 06:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They're smart. People shouldn't get married that young. Finish school, get established in a career path, live a bit, date around and find the right person. The divorce rates for people 30+ with college education plummets. It's not surprise and getting married when still a child in one's 20s is generally ill advised.
You're entitled to your opinion but scientifically both the mother and baby have a better outcome when the parents are in their 20's vs 30's and 40's. Fertility also declines with age.

People in their 20's are not children anymore, even if they want to act like they are.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:39 AM

It's true that fertility does decline...but i managed to pregnant at 35 and 37 very easily. I'm done now...and i dont recommend waiting because it's not easy for eveyone...but many people are open to IVF and it's free in MA. I wouldn't want to have to go that route...but a lot of people do.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion but scientifically both the mother and baby have a better outcome when the parents are in their 20's vs 30's and 40's. Fertility also declines with age.

People in their 20's are not children anymore, even if they want to act like they are.
And couples have much better outcomes with its adults getting married. But 20s is just too young mentally, emotionally, and financially to be a parent. Great, the body is ready for it, big whoop, the body is read for sex in one's early teens.

20s, especially early 20s, are definitely still children in body development and brain formation, we don't have adult brains until 25... and then there should be time spent in the world using those brains while choosing a life partner and making life changing decisions.

And good, fertility declines, fewer people have children and fewer children are born. This is a bonus for society.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:42 AM

I also agree that people in their 20s, particularly late 20s are certainly not children...but also some people dont find someone to marry in their 20s...i didnt...shocking i know, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts