Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 01:57 PM

90 posts, read 297,267 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are at a point in our lives that we would like to venture out into the vacation rentals. We live in Atlanta area (originally from Florida) and to be honest, I just get way too hot in the summers now. I'd like to have a place that we can go to, at least a few weeks every summer, to get cooled off and relax, then rent the rest of the time. I would like to find a realtor who specializes in these types of situations (mortgage and upkeep and how long we'd have to rent to pay yearly fees, etc.)
I'm not even familiar with all the little towns that are good for this type of thing. I do know I just paid a small fortune to rent for a week in Newport, RI. We'd like a very walkable town within walking distance of the ocean or a port. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 04:02 PM

434 posts, read 510,636 times
If you can narrow it down to a general area you'd like to investigate, I'd go through vacation rental listings for that area and see what agents/firms come up the most and call him/her/them.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:51 AM

Most of the places I am seeing are VRBO (vacation rentals by owner).

Old 07-03-2016, 07:50 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Do you want to rent or buy? We've used VBRO and HomeAway several times and been very happy with the properties we've rented.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:41 AM

I want to buy then turn around and rent.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:49 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Do you want to rent or buy? We've used VBRO and HomeAway several times and been very happy with the properties we've rented.
Those sites are for people who already own property and want to rent it out as a vacation rental. OP is looking for someone to help them purchase a property which they will use as a vacation rental.

There are quite a few vacation destinations throughout New England. Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, the Berkshires, Nantasket Beach in Hull are all in MA. Plus, various lake/Mountain areas in New Hampshire and Vermont, and also plenty of places in Maine as well. Even Connecticut and Rhode Island have vacation destinations.

What kind of budget do you want to stick to and what kind of house are you looking for?

Old 07-04-2016, 10:53 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Agree with everyone who has said a budget and area are important. We have a number of neighbors who rent their homes by various means. It seems those who rent weekly have homes that are under a $1 mil valuation. They use VRBO or similar and manage the rentals themselves. They do have cleaning services between. Those whose homes exceed that amount only rent monthly, only do so if they get their number and get final approval of the renters aftet they are vetted by the realtor who handles it all.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:58 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I work in real estate on Cape Cod and it is a very desirable area to live and vacation at. The only trouble is when buying a house in a desirable area the prices are usually higher due to the fact that people want to come.

I don't know what your budget is but as an example we have a 3 bedroom cottage on the beach for $950,000. It rents for $3000-$4000 per week.
We have sold regular year round houses for around $400,000 and those rent for $2000 but you need to drive to the beach.

Rentals are all about how desirable they are and that is all about location location location.

On the Cape we generally have a 8 week rental period, most rentals are to families with school age kids so their vacations work around the school schedule.
There is also a shoulder season in the Spring and Fall, September is the best time on Cape Cod, the weather is still excellent and most of the crowds are gone. It is a good time to rent but you won't get the most money like in the prime summer time.
We know people who actually move out of their house in the Summer to rent theirs out and make extra money.

Having a rental is great but you need ot have the right team to keep them turning over smoothly.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:46 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
I don't know if it still exists but there used to be a place in Framingham called Rent A Wreck. With a name like that I'm thinking it has to be cheap.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:14 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I don't know if it still exists but there used to be a place in Framingham called Rent A Wreck. With a name like that I'm thinking it has to be cheap.
That is for cheap car rental, not vacation homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts