Nantucket County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level between 2 and 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Moderate Potential
Click to draw/clear place borders
Notable locations in Nantucket: Nantucket Harbor Range Light (A), Brant Point Light (B), Nantucket Ferry Slip Light (C), Loines Observatory (D), Brant Point Racquet Club (E), Commercial Wharf (F), Jetties Beach Public Tennis Courts (G), Nantucket Community-School Pool (H), Nantucket Shipyard (I), Nantucket Town Pier (J), Nantucket Yacht Club (K), Old Brant Point Lighthouse (L), Old North Wharf (M), Old South Wharf (N), Steamboat Wharf (O), Steamship Authority Ferry (P), Straight Wharf (Q), Thomas Macy Warehouse (R), Academy Hill Housing (S), Fair Street Museum (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Nantucket include: Unitarian Universalist Church (A), Society of Friends Church (B), Saint Pauls Episcopal Church (C), Saint Marys Our Lady of the Isle Roman Catholic Church (D), Nantucket Worship Center (E), Nantucket United Methodist Church (F), Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses (G), Friends Meeting House (H), First Congregational Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Old North Cemetery (1), Prospect Hill Cemetery (2), Saint Marys Cemetery (3), African Baptist Cemetery (4), Friends Burying Ground (5), New Town Cemetery (6), Old Town Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Goose Pond (A), No Bottom Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Nantucket include: Soldier and Sailors Monument (1), Nantucket Historic District (2), Mill Hill Park (3), Main Street Square (4), Lily Pond Park (5), Greater Light Garden (6), Abiah Folger Franklin Fountain (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Beaches: South Beach (A), Childrens Beach (B), Cliff Beach (C), Clean Shore (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: Egan Institute of Maritime Studies (Museums; 4 Winter Street), African Meetinghouse On Nantucket (Museums; 29 York Street), Coffin School (Museums; 4 Winter Street), Maria Mitchell Association - Administration Office (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 2 Vestal Street), Nantucket Historical Association (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 2 Whalers Lane), Maria Mitchell Association - Vestal Street Observatory (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 3 Vestal Street), Mill Hill Press (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 4 Winter Street), Nantucket Atheneum (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 1 India Street), Nantucket Lightship Basket Museum Inc (49 Union Street).
Hotels: Brant Point Inn (6 South Beach Street), Le Languedoc Inn & Restaurant (24 Broad Street), Beachside at Nantucket (30 North Beach Street), Nesbitt Inn (21 Broad Street), Carlisle House Inn (26 North Water Street), Brass Lantern Inn (11 North Water Street), Manor House Inn Reservations Only (11 India Street), Breakers (50 Easton Street), Languedoc Restaurant & Inn 24 (16 Broad Street).
Court: Mass Commonwealth - Trial Courts- Juvenile Court Dept- Nantucket Juvenile C (16 Broad Street).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Nantucket and their reported violations in the past:
WANNACOMET WATER COMPANY (Population served: 30000, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- OCCT Installation/Demonstration - Between JAN-01-1996 and OCT-08-2000, Contaminant: Lead & Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (FEB-24-1998), St Compliance achieved (OCT-08-2000)
- 57 regular monitoring violations
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2012: 8.9%
(7.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 26.0% for Black residents, 7.6% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 13.0% for other race residents, 4.8% for two or more races residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This place: || 2.4 people|
|Massachusetts: || 2.5 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This place: || 55.8%|
|Whole state: || 63.0%|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
|This place: || 8.8%|
|Whole state: || 7.0%|
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Nantucket, MA
474 people in other workers' dormitories in 2000
People in group quarters in Nantucket in 2010:
- 35 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 13 people in workers’ group living quarters and job corps centers
- 4 people in group homes intended for adults
12 people in other group homes in 2000
Nantucket compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age below state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Nantucket (2011 data):
- Sovereign Bank, National Association: Orange Street Branch, Amelia Drive Branch, Nantucket Bank Branch. Info updated 2012/01/31: Bank assets: $78,146.9 mil, Deposits: $48,042.9 mil, headquarters in Wilmington, DE, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 718 total offices, Holding Company: Banco Santander, S.A.
- Bank of America, National Association: Pacific National - Main Street Branc at 61 Main Street, branch established on 1804/01/01; Pacific National-Sparks Branch at 15 Sparks Avenue, branch established on 1979/06/15. Info updated 2009/11/18: Bank assets: $1,451,969.3 mil, Deposits: $1,077,176.8 mil, headquarters in Charlotte, NC, positive income, 5782 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Of America Corporation
- The Cape Cod Five Cents Savings Bank: Main Street Nantucket Branch at Zero Main Street, branch established on 2012/01/17; Nantucket Branch at 6 West Creek Road, branch established on 2011/03/08. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $2,106.5 mil, Deposits: $1,831.3 mil, headquarters in Harwich Port, MA, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 17 total offices
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Nantucket, Massachusetts:
All 12 fire-safe hotels and motels in Nantucket, Massachusetts
- Corner House Inn, 49 CTR St, Nantucket, MA 02554 , Phone: (508) 228-1530
- House Of Seven Gables, 32 CLF Rd, Nantucket, MA 02554 , Phone: (508) 228-4706
- Hussey House 1795, 15 N Water St, Nantucket, MA 02554 , Phone: (508) 228-0747
- Jared Coffin House, 29 Broad St, Nantucket, MA 02554 , Phone: (508) 228-2400, Fax: (508) 228-8549
- Safe Harbor Guest House, 2 Harborview Way, Nantucket, MA 02554 , Phone: (508) 228-3222
- The Carriage House, 5 Ray's CT, Nantucket, MA 02554 , Phone: (508) 228-0326
- The Folger Hotel, 71 Easton St, Nantucket, MA 02554 , Phone: (508) 228-0313, Fax: (508) 325-6044
- The Wauwinet, 120 Wauwinet Rd, Nantucket, MA 02554 , Phone: (508) 228-0145, Fax: (508) 228-6712
- 4 other hotels and motels
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (39%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (37%)
- Electricity (14%)
- Utility gas (8%)
- Wood (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Nantucket CDP (based on Nantucket County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 38.33%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Catholic Church||Episcopal Church||National Association of Congregational Christian Churches||Jewish||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Here:||4.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (no gas):
|Nantucket County:||3.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|This county:||0.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|Nantucket County:||41.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|State:||8.1%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
10.19% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($48,768 average adjusted gross income)
2.12% of residents moved from foreign countries ($3,022 average AGI)
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
7.95% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($113,356 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Nantucket:
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Nantucket:
- WNAN (91.1 FM; NANTUCKET, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WRZE (96.3 FM; NANTUCKET, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WNCK (89.5 FM; NANTUCKET, MA; Owner: NANTUCKET PUBLIC RADIO INC)
- WXTK (95.1 FM; WEST YARMOUTH, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING LTD. PARTNERSHIP)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 20
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 23
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 10
- Fatalities: 20
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 41
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 3
- Fatal accident count: 96
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 135
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 31
- Fatalities: 103
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 219
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 12
See more detailed statistics of Nantucket fatal car crashes and road traffic accidents for 1975 - 2011 here
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
Incident types - Nantucket
See full 2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System statistics for Nantucket, MA
|Most common first names in Nantucket, MA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Nantucket, MA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Nantucket, MA|
|Decora Cabinetry||2||New Balance||1|
- #6 on the list of "Top 100 cities with shortest commuting times (pop. 5,000+)"
- #38 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest ratio of median house value to median household income"
- #75 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest median house value (pop. 5,000+)"
- #18 (02554) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the most museums in 2005"
- #28 (02554) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers reporting profit/loss from business in 2004 (pop 5,000+)"
- #70 (02554) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Scottish first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #81 (02554) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of New Zealander first ancestries"
- #97 (02554) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Cape Verdean first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #8 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006"
- #24 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"