Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:03 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
However, when I sold it and bought a SFH, I truly was happy about that, and 10 months later I still am.I had much more freedome to do certain things that I could never do in an apartment, or even under an HOA in a condo.

Fair enough. That is something that I really never want to do, I don't think. The only appeal of having a SFH for me is the potential for a nice garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 05:32 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
I grew up in a suburban area and moved to one more rural and now in a city.

Although one could argue that cities have more noise I find that isn't exactly the case. In a rural area I could easily hear trains 3.5 miles away. Buildings can block sound but trees not as much. Wild life can also be noisy especially early spring.

Crime varies in both areas. I'm in Springfield and naturally one can say there is higher crime but when you adjust it for population. Sometimes I rather be in a urban area that knows how to deal with crime vs one that has no crime and when the @%#^ hits the fan they know what to do. Lack of police access to some is an excuse to be armed, sometimes heavily.

Diversity is good to me because it means that I can see more and it isn't the same. Having generic restaurants with no competition is annoying. Being able to walk to bars is just...nice. Oddly enough in terms of restaurant access there's less access in springfield vs many towns on the south shore per capita. Having street lights and sidewalks is easy to take for granted. Aging in place is much easier in a urban vs rural area. Once someone cannot drive and if there's no ubur/lyft/taxi then they are effectively stuck. Colleges are nice to have.

don't get me wrong there are some types that would like something more rural. It can give space to do other things like a big cookout or a bonfire. But those fade with time and frankly is it worth paying for that type of access. For that mentality there is this Home - Outstanding in the Field - Outstanding in the Field

Maintaining a house can be fine but frankly if someone is to flip a house I don't think they'd stay in it for years on end. Condos can be ok. I've entertained a bit of having one but the HOA fees can add up. If I want a workshop there's plenty of mills here that have working space in Holyoke, Indian orchard and Revival Homestead supply

gatewaycityarts
Indian Orchard Mills
Revival Homestead Supply

As for gardens there are co-ops and farmers markets. I understand the idea of being in a rural area and maybe roughing it but if you need things more specific then you pretty much have to go to a city. I'm not saying there's a given number maybe it's 50,000, 80,000 people etc.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:29 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,388 times
So what is people's definition of rural? With our state's industrial heritage of numerous dense urban to urban-ish settlements, it's hard to find truly rural isolated axe murderer places in MA (except Warren and Winchendon and Savoy and Lakeville) because you're basically always within 20 miles of a city or town that's bigger than anything in Vermont or South Dakota (for example places considered to be fifth rate outposts for Mass, like Leominster, Westfield, or Billerica are all about the same size as Burlington VT, the biggest "city" in that state, which doesn't feel rural if you're right in it). Basically anywhere you are in Massachusetts, no matter how small, is a suburb to somewhere. Are we talking anywhere outside the megalopolis = rural, or is there some population cutoff like any city or town under 50k people, under 10k people, places with 3-figure as in sub-1000 populations (Leyden or Sandisfield anyone?). Is it anywhere beyond the commuter rail? Any town with less than 10 Dunkin Donuts? Is it just entirely subjective? You can live a non-rural life with walkable amenities and some arts and culture momentum in numerous Western Mass small cities and towns (Northampton, Easthampton, Amherst, Greenfield, Holyoke, Chicopee, Springfield, Westfield, Pittsfield, etc) where a typical mouth-breathing and proudly geographically illiterate yet affluent Massahole might think they're in Kansas, or have a walkable existence in SE Mass cities (New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, etc). Is it all black and white - if you're not inside 128 right in Boston or its inner urbanized suburbs are you living a rural life?

Last edited by FCMA; 09-23-2016 at 10:42 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 02:15 PM

324 posts, read 387,605 times
Come on down to NC! Great beaches lower taxes, very little snow and more elbow room.

walessp

Old 09-24-2016, 02:17 PM

324 posts, read 387,605 times
PS - Forgot to mention I'm a former MA resident.

walessp

Old 09-24-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
Come on down to NC! Great beaches lower taxes, very little snow and more elbow room.

walessp
NC now...I'll pass. Not saying Mass is perfect but relations w/ police seem to be much better than other areas. I account much of that to the quinn bill.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:51 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post

walessp
And an insane legislature and horrible governor. I wouldn't move back there until they get their act together.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:25 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
And an insane legislature and horrible governor. I wouldn't move back there until they get their act together.
Lol, our legislature is awful and the governor isn't much better. Only states that are probably worse are NY and CA. Though there are a few other daisies out there. [insert barf emoji here]

Old 09-25-2016, 04:57 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Lol, our legislature is awful and the governor isn't much better. Only states that are probably worse are NY and CA. Though there are a few other daisies out there. [insert barf emoji here]

Sadly, WI is 10000X worse right now. One of the worst governors ever.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:40 PM

There's a interesting contrast with Ma with NY and Ct

When people in Mass don't like the governor it isn't a big thing. In CT and NY the unions will easily advertise on transit and TV to show they are pissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts