Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,125 times

Advertisements

I got a job 10-15 miles north of Boston (and a bit to the West) that I'll be starting soon and am trying to figure out where to live. Currently I live too far away for my commute to be sustainable long term, and I want to move out anyway.

I am in my early 20s and single so I would be looking for somewhere somewhat "lively" and has a good amount of young people. I also absolutely need to live in a place where it is feasible to have a car. I have done a little bit of research and I am leaning towards Somerville, somewhere around Davis Square (not really sure what neighborhood specifically). My thought process is, it seems to fit the young/lively requirement based on what I have read, and I think it should be cheaper rent than most anywhere in Boston or Cambridge. (Additionally it would be slightly closer to my job.)

The only thing I'm worried about is the feasibility of having a car. I've read that since it's so densely populated it's extremely hard to find parking and I would need to do that every evening. Is this something I should be worried about? If a). this does not sound like a good plan because of the car thing or b). I am misinformed and Somerville is horrible in every way, are there any other suggestions on where to look at based on what I said I'm looking for?

Last edited by headphones456; 10-09-2016 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 12:15 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
It will be a pain in the ass unless you have off street parking available to you.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,126 times
not if you love yourself

Old 10-09-2016, 12:40 PM

187 posts, read 217,368 times
If you really want a car, I'd look at Waltham...

Old 10-09-2016, 01:08 PM

93 posts, read 82,976 times
Davis is great, I lived there for years a block from the square with a car and no off street parking. There is street parking by zone based on where you live. I rarely had trouble finding parking. You might have to park down the street or the next street over at times, but if you can handle that it's fine. In your early 20s with no kids it's much better than being somewhere boring but having a driveway

Old 10-09-2016, 01:08 PM

649 posts, read 816,721 times
Everyone I know in Somerville has a car, its not that big of a thing. Obviously harder the closer you live to any T stop. You switch sides for street cleaning and just fight the fight of parking on the street, or you get a rental with parking.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:51 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Where in somerville? I've lived in all neighborhoods, totally doable, easier or worse depending on place

Old 10-09-2016, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,125 times
Hmm okay, some different answers, the first three made me kinda sad but I guess some say that it is very doable so thanks for all your honest answers/opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Where in somerville? I've lived in all neighborhoods, totally doable, easier or worse depending on place
I was thinking Davis Sq or near it (sorry if I am confusing train stops and neighborhoods, I think Davis Sq is also considered a neighborhood?) because I read that it was the nicest and has the most going for it.

Last edited by headphones456; 10-09-2016 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 06:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Davis Sq I've lived in, probably the tightest parking situation in Somerville

Totally doable, but snow emergencies suck, no getting around that

Old 10-09-2016, 08:30 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Absolutely doable, I live in Somerville and own 2 cars, both parked on street. Not far from Davis either. Almost everyone I know (also in my 20's) own vehicles here as well without issue.

Look for a spot with a driveway to save the rare headache of a snow emergency. Either that or make sure you live near one of the snow emergency lots listed on the City website.

Also, parking is not zoned based on where you live. Somerville permit means you can park in resident spots anywhere in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts