Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,110 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My partner and I are looking to buy our first home and would like to stay within a 45 min commute of Jamaica Plain(my work). We have a budget of around 350k. We are young (mid 20's) and don't have children yet but plan to in the next few years. We are very progressive and love to shop at local stores, thrift shops and farmers markets.

Some things we are looking for in a community:
-welcoming/accepting of gay families (and diversity in general)
-close to the beach
-good place to raise children (schools and rec programs)
-walk-able town centers/local shops

Some towns we have been considering:
Weymouth, Braintree, Milton, Dedham, Norwood...

Any advice on the quality of living in these towns would be appreciated. We currently live in the Roslindale/West Roxbury area of Boston and love it. I grew up in NH and my partner on the north shore, so we have no idea what the locals think of these towns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 02:05 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,149,038 times
My initial thoughts are you really need to review current and recent sold listings for each town. I don't know that part of MA well, but $350K sounds very low (too low) for SFH in Milton, Norwood, or Dedham.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:22 PM

344 posts, read 336,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
My initial thoughts are you really need to review current and recent sold listings for each town. I don't know that part of MA well, but $350K sounds very low (too low) for SFH in Milton, Norwood, or Dedham.
It's WAY too low for Milton, Norwood, Dedham, and Braintree. It's right about average for Weymouth.

OP, at 350 you're looking at the lower tier South Shore with 350 as a budget. Weymouth with probably be the best you can do. You can check out Rockland, Stoughton, Abington as well, but you won't have the luxury of being picky.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:30 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,328,228 times
What about Dorchester? You say you want to be near the beach, well the beach is there and it's close to JP. None of the towns you mentioned above seem close to the beach. What's wrong with the area you are in now? 350k is probably too low if you want to buy, but you could also check out hyde park which is in that area also. The prices in HP seem to be going up too. Very difficult to find anything for 350k in the boston area unless you go for a condo.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:57 PM

344 posts, read 336,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
What about Dorchester? You say you want to be near the beach, well the beach is there and it's close to JP. None of the towns you mentioned above seem close to the beach. What's wrong with the area you are in now? 350k is probably too low if you want to buy, but you could also check out hyde park which is in that area also. The prices in HP seem to be going up too. Very difficult to find anything for 350k in the boston area unless you go for a condo.
Weymouth has beaches. They aren't great, but the exist, and it's an easyish drive to Nantasket for a real beach.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:27 PM

536 posts, read 846,282 times
Hull (though the water is cold there) might be worth looking into. Or Marshfield? Just be sure (in both these seaside towns) that you know whether the house is on a flood plain and what the insurance and taxes will be.

If you are handy you should be able to find something in several South-of-Boston towns as a fixer upper. Quincy has homes in that price range but they tend to be in rough shape--too rough for me. I am looking, too, but am below your price point.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:43 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,328,228 times
Oh right theres also quincy and weymouth. Im sure there is something there in the 350k price range. She did also mention they want to stay close to JP.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:32 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,704,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
It's WAY too low for Milton, Norwood, Dedham, and Braintree. It's right about average for Weymouth.

OP, at 350 you're looking at the lower tier South Shore with 350 as a budget. Weymouth with probably be the best you can do. You can check out Rockland, Stoughton, Abington as well, but you won't have the luxury of being picky.
Pretty much this. There is no point in being picky in that price range. The best option is the best house you can find for the money. All the other crap people usually obsess about on this forum like schools are meaningless at that price point.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,110 times
350 is the middle of the budget. We have seen places (open houses) in Norwood/Dedham in our price range. Braintree is probably to uppity for us anyways. We are trying to avoid dealing with Boston school system. I was really hoping to get feedback from folks who live in these towns as to whether they like it or not.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:39 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,704,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carney1006 View Post
350 is the middle of the budget. We have seen places (open houses) in Norwood/Dedham in our price range. Braintree is probably to uppity for us anyways. We are trying to avoid dealing with Boston school system. I was really hoping to get feedback from folks who live in these towns as to whether they like it or not.
You have very specific criteria that make it hard for most people to relate to.

I would say the towns you mentioned are basically your average suburb. Not overly progressive and not very walkable for the most part. If you're trying to recreate what you have in Roslindale you'll probably be disappointed. Dedham is probably as close as you can get to West Roxbury. The schools are better than BPS but they're nothing stellar, and the same can be said for any town where $350k buys you anything more than a tear down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts