Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,850 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Boston Area with 2 elementary age kids. I will be commuting in to Boston (Copley area) while my husband will be working either in Lexington or Cambridge. We are looking to rent a 2 bed 2 bath for the first year. I am open to both taking public transport and driving although would prefer to drive.

I am considering Lexington strongly because of the schools and because it is very much possible that my husband will be working there. I see that there are two nice Avalon buildings where I could rent a 2 bed 2 bath for around $3K. I am wondering if you know which elementary school is assigned to Avalon Lexington (100 Lexington Dr) and Avalon at Lexington Hills (1000 Main Campus Drive).

Apartmentfinder.com shows that both these addresses are assigned to Bowman Elementary. But the Lexington school map (http://townlex.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...129a517152f138) shows that Avalon Lexington is assigned to Maria Hastings and that Avalon at Lexington Hills is assigned to Bridge.

I understand that all Lexington elementary schools are really good but was just wondering if any of you that live there can tell me the correct facts.

Also, would you know when the construction at Maria Hastings is scheduled to begin?

Lastly, if any of you drives from Lexington to Boston. Can you tell me the average time it takes in the morning and afternoon. I hear the afternoon commute may be slightly shorter than the morning commute especially in peak hours. Just trying to understand if I am making a huge mistake picking Lexington in terms of my commute :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 10:32 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus78 View Post
We will be relocating to Boston Area with 2 elementary age kids. I will be commuting in to Boston (Copley area) while my husband will be working either in Lexington or Cambridge. We are looking to rent a 2 bed 2 bath for the first year. I am open to both taking public transport and driving although would prefer to drive.
There's not much in the way of public transportation options in Lexington. The MBTA (local public transportation authority) has a great trip planner tool on their website (MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System) if you want to explore what transportation options are available from different locations.

People who want to drive in to Boston and have the housing budget to live in Lexington tend to choose other towns like Newton, Weston, Wellesley, Needham, etc. which are located convenient to the Mass Pike (I90) as it's generally a better drive.

Quote:
I am considering Lexington strongly because of the schools and because it is very much possible that my husband will be working there. I see that there are two nice Avalon buildings where I could rent a 2 bed 2 bath for around $3K. I am wondering if you know which elementary school is assigned to Avalon Lexington (100 Lexington Dr) and Avalon at Lexington Hills (1000 Main Campus Drive).

Apartmentfinder.com shows that both these addresses are assigned to Bowman Elementary. But the Lexington school map (http://townlex.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...129a517152f138) shows that Avalon Lexington is assigned to Maria Hastings and that Avalon at Lexington Hills is assigned to Bridge.
I wouldn't worry about what ApartmentFinder.com says. It's a 3rd party source. If you're getting the information from the source (i.e. the Lexington School Department) then I would trust that information over anything else on the internet. If you want to confirm what you're seeing, then I would suggest calling the Lexington School Department directly.

Quote:
Lastly, if any of you drives from Lexington to Boston. Can you tell me the average time it takes in the morning and afternoon. I hear the afternoon commute may be slightly shorter than the morning commute especially in peak hours. Just trying to understand if I am making a huge mistake picking Lexington in terms of my commute :-)
Right now, it's about a 30 minute drive according to Google maps. RT 2 has pretty nasty traffic. So, I would expect the ride to be at least 45 minutes if not an hour during peak rush hour. Hopefully, someone who actually does the drive will chime in shortly.

When commuting to Boston though another issue is parking. We live in a city primarily developed well before the invention of the automobile. So, parking is scarce and expensive. Will your employer be providing you with parking? If not, be sure to add that in to your budget as well.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Drive to Alewife then T would work too, but that's not a short trip.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 AM

652 posts, read 750,740 times
In my opinion, Lexington would be a huge mistake for a Boston commute. I'd say Lexington would be better for a commute to Burlington or the jobs on I-95 than for a Boston commute.

It will involve a lot of congested back roads to get to a highway that will take you into the city. (Because they did not complete Rt. 2 into Boston so as to not devastate most of Cambridge)

Consider also the fact that your parking in the back bay will cost you something like $300 a month, depending where exactly. Personally I'd rather apply that to my housing budget and live somewhere with easier public transit options, rather than sitting in traffic.

If you are willing/able to shift your hours, you may have an easier time with things.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:15 PM

Thank you everyone for the responses so far. My employer will not be paying for parking but I can use flex spending account up to $250.

Given that I will be working in Copley Place and my husband in Lexington/Cambridge and that top schools are a big priority, which towns would you recommend for rentals? We are used to midwest suburban life. So anything city like I would not enjoy. Please don't judge but I also like newer/renovated spaces because that is what we are used to. Have a housing budget of $3k and need 2 bathrooms. Did not know that would be hard to find until I started looking Although not a huge priority a sizeable Indian community is nice to have.

MikePRU already mentioned Newton, Weston, Wellesley and Needham. I am curious if these towns would suit our needs. Please do let me know any other towns that would be suitable.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited by stratus78; 05-31-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 01:17 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,334,272 times
You might also want to consider your staying power in Lexington if you plan to rent for 3k and enroll in the schools. Do you plan to eventually buy, and will you be able to swing a mortgage for more than 3k? Lexington is pretty expensive.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:42 PM

At this point, we are not even sure we want to stay in Boston long term. So we are only thinking about the first year and rentals at the moment. Although we could possibly afford Lexington, I am also OK with buying in a different town and switching schools.

It is worth mentioning that both Avalon buildings in Lexington run a free shuttle to Alewife Station during commuter hours.

I was leaning towards Lexington given that my husband may work there but I am open to your suggestions.

Are there any good apartment complexes in Newton that would fit our needs?

Old 05-31-2017, 04:13 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Youre going to be paying extra for a apartment complex, FYI.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:28 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,433,571 times
I think Avalon at Lexington or Avalon at Lexington Hills would be fine for your purposes. There is a sizable Indian population in these developments and virtually everyone works in Boston or Cambridge or at the tech companies in Lexington, Bedford or Burlington.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:05 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the responses so far. My employer will not be paying for parking but I can use flex spending account up to $250.

Given that I will be working in Copley Place and my husband in Lexington/Cambridge and that top schools are a big priority, which towns would you recommend for rentals? We are used to midwest suburban life. So anything city like I would not enjoy. Please don't judge but I also like newer/renovated spaces because that is what we are used to. Have a housing budget of $3k and need 2 bathrooms. Did not know that would be hard to find until I started looking Although not a huge priority a sizeable Indian community is nice to have.

MikePRU already mentioned Newton, Weston, Wellesley and Needham. I am curious if these towns would suit our needs. Please do let me know any other towns that would be suitable.

Thanks a lot for your help!
I'd throw Belmont into the mix. Newton is probably a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts