Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Traffic on Route 3 is indeed terrible, but tens of thousands of people seem to deal with it every day.
Yep. I've never driven on it when it wasn't, but I'm rarely on the south shore.

But on that note, depending on where his office is, the train from Halifax to Braintree take 30 minutes. About 40 from Plymouth. Not a great idea if he's not close to the station though - and if it's not a benefit, the intrazone pass is $200 less a month than the train pass all the way to South Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:08 PM

341 posts, read 302,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleyna73 View Post
Life4orce - wow! Thank you for that input! According to google maps it's only a 30 min drive on Rt 3 but it seems that reality looks a lot different.
Google will let you set the time you want to leave, so run that again about the time you think the commute would be. That would give you a good idea. You can figure out if it's something that is tolerable.

On the plus side, you are very close to Cape Cod!

Old 09-22-2017, 02:22 PM

434 posts, read 510,222 times
Oh, what about Scituate? Depending on where in Braintree your husband's job is, he could take 3A (a local rod) instead of rte 3 and the drive wouldn't be more than 45 minutes. The downtown area/Harbor is great and there are really nice beaches. Look up 32 Hughey Road or 2 Wampatuck Way (this one needs flood insurance but it's not super expensive).

Old 09-23-2017, 02:55 AM

43 posts, read 46,569 times
I will definitely look more into Scituate, Silverlake District (Kingston and Prembroke) and Braintree itself.
Thank you so much everybody for your insight and support - it makes a huge difference!

Old 09-23-2017, 06:44 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
What exit on Rte 3 or 93 would you use? If it's anything past exit 17, you might want to live nearby so you can use the T or the commuter rail.

The commute from Plymouth isn't great, but at least you wouldn't be driving into Boston. It also depends a good amount on what time you'll be on the road. If it's fairly early, traffic won't pick up until around Exit 14 or 15 on Rte 3 north and it'll add about 10-20 minutes to the commute to Exit 17 depending on the day. If it's around the peak rush hour time, it could add more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
What about Braintree itself? There are very quaint neighborhoods, some really good restaurants, you're close to the city but there's green space, the schools are very good ... $500,000 won't buy a huge house there but you could get something nice. For instance, look up 96 Standish Ave, 6 Blanchard Boulevard, or 1318 Liberty St on Redfin.
$500k is a very good budget for Braintree. And it does meet a lot of the requirements.

With that said though, there are some very nice areas in Plymouth. You could be near the cape, a state forest, and/or the ocean.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:53 PM

18 posts, read 15,994 times
Quote:
Hi 10Evergreen22 - I replied to your post earlier, but it did not seem to have posted. I'm still learning.
Thank you so much for your input - I will look into the Redbrook area.
Good luck with the house hunting this weekend and please let me know how it went!
Hi Boleyna73. Many thanks for your good wishes. We did indeed have a good time house hunting in Redbrook and it proved very successful for us! We found exactly what we were looking for and we found our new home although we will not be moving into it until February 2018 but that is OK. They have some lovely homes ready now though. It is a lovely community setting and quite scenic.

I hope you and your family also find your perfect dream home and I am sure you will. We have found the people in MA to be very helpful and easy to work with and all around quite friendly.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
What about Braintree itself? There are very quaint neighborhoods, some really good restaurants, you're close to the city but there's green space, the schools are very good ... $500,000 won't buy a huge house there but you could get something nice. For instance, look up 96 Standish Ave, 6 Blanchard Boulevard, or 1318 Liberty St on Redfin.
I really like the 6 Blanchard and also the 96 Standish Ave. Thank you so much for giving me an idea what the money could buy in Braintree. And the school district seems to be really great, too!

I hope we can make a decision in regards to the move soon. The job location could be in Boston or Philadelphia. But Braintree looks like an exciting option!

Old 09-27-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Evergreen22 View Post
Hi Boleyna73. Many thanks for your good wishes. We did indeed have a good time house hunting in Redbrook and it proved very successful for us! We found exactly what we were looking for and we found our new home although we will not be moving into it until February 2018 but that is OK. They have some lovely homes ready now though. It is a lovely community setting and quite scenic.

I hope you and your family also find your perfect dream home and I am sure you will. We have found the people in MA to be very helpful and easy to work with and all around quite friendly.
Congrats Evergreen and thank you for the update. Redbrook will definitly make it on our shortlist then!
I am so happy for you that you found exactly what you were looking for. It is so hard!
We will most likely rent first in the school district that we want to be in and then buy - unless of course the dream house available right away. We will most likely move within 2-3 months.

Good luck and all the best for you and your family!

Old 09-27-2017, 04:37 PM

18 posts, read 15,994 times
Quote:
Congrats Evergreen and thank you for the update. Redbrook will definitly make it on our shortlist then!
I am so happy for you that you found exactly what you were looking for. It is so hard!
We will most likely rent first in the school district that we want to be in and then buy - unless of course the dream house available right away. We will most likely move within 2-3 months.

Good luck and all the best for you and your family!
Many thanks! I am amazed at how good your English is-- I speak German and I know how difficult it is to speak a second language...especially English, and you speak it so well!

Renting is a very good idea. We are currently renting in NY. It makes it easy to move when you do find the right house because you do not have a house to sell in order to buy one, and that is nice.

I think you will like MA, it is not Germany but it is scenic and the people are nice and helpful. The food in the US is not as good as it is in Europe- we lived in the UK too and the food is so much better there we thought.

Best wishes in your search and I trust the members here on the forum are helpful. They know the towns and traffic patterns and housing areas.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Evergreen22 View Post
Many thanks! I am amazed at how good your English is-- I speak German and I know how difficult it is to speak a second language...especially English, and you speak it so well!

Renting is a very good idea. We are currently renting in NY. It makes it easy to move when you do find the right house because you do not have a house to sell in order to buy one, and that is nice.

I think you will like MA, it is not Germany but it is scenic and the people are nice and helpful. The food in the US is not as good as it is in Europe- we lived in the UK too and the food is so much better there we thought.

Best wishes in your search and I trust the members here on the forum are helpful. They know the towns and traffic patterns and housing areas.

This is all so nice of you to say! Thank you so very much for your kind words. Did you learn German in school or do you have German family/friends? I will miss Germany but am looking forward to settle down and I hope that the shore will remind me of England. I loved living there, and have an auntie & uncle there.

Where are you currently in NY? My hubby comes from just outside NYC.

Thank you again for your support and all the good wishes! The best to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts