Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,159 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

I have been "lurking" and enjoying posts here for a while now. I have big question on my mind and would like to ask for some help.

We are family of three going on four. I am European and my husband is an American. I am living 10 plus years in the US and all of it in MA (had very short stint in Atlanta GA). We lived for most of that time in Cambridge on Porter Sq. and last couple of years we started renting in Belmont. My husband works on Harvard Sq. and I am running small business from home and take care of our son. We are easy, considerate and quiet type of people. We appreciate quality over quaintity. Both of us are more urban types and prefer sidewalks and public transit. We own one car and would like to keep it that way.

In a perfect world we would live most likely in Cambridge (or Brookline) and would not have to worry about home prices and/or quality of schools. But, in real life our budget is tight and will have to buy home for no more than upper 300' and even that is a strech. Ideally we will not spend over 350'.

Here is the question. We were thinking about condo in Belmont but with town budget shortfalls and already high taxes we do not think we can bear more expenses. Town aims to add up to one or two thousands in added taxes per houshold in the next couple of years by means of prop overides. (How anybody can afford such high taxes?)

Is there any place in MA that will not go down the drain with home prices going down and health costs going up? I know some of you might point to Weston or Wellesley but that is not our reality. Are they any walkable communities that have good safety and good schools BUT with sound town budgets? Is there any way to research towns on that issue? Any info is welcome.

Also as a side note:

By good schools we mean and hope for good quality teachers and educated parents who care. We could care less about all new school buildings. That is wrong focus. We are hoping to find place where community maintains well what it already has and focuses more on attracting and keeping good teachers with brains and not just building beautifull buildings with subpar education as no money left over for anything. Well treated and respected teachers plus good resources = well educated and happy kids. Or, at least for us.

We are willing to make a leap outside our comfort zone but we are not sure where to look. But, we do hope that my husband will not become an absent dad because of too long comute. Driving to work is not an option. There is no parking where he works.

Any opinions, advice and experiences are welcome.

Are any of you in similar position and what do you are trying to do? Since I never lived outside big city I do get scared about going "out". I do wonder if that is silly. Any experiences of urban dwellers going small towns in the country also appreciated.

Also, thanks for all the effort and numerous posts about MA towns. I read it almost daily and have learn about MA more than I could hope for. I enjoy reading about different perspectives quite a bit.

I appreciate any feedback.
All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts