Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 05:42 AM

3,231 posts, read 2,134,721 times

Advertisements

Moving closer to the CRACK epicenter of southern MA to escape the horrors of POT makes a s4lt load of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, it's the new Easton.

I must confess that you could have given me a blank map of Massachusetts and I couldn't have picked out Whitman on a map. Median household income of $75K so way below Easton. Houses about 2/3 the price. 2,000+ per square mile population density way off the highway. Less than 30% college grads compared to half for Easton. Having never been there, I'm getting an image of ranches & splits on small lots. Lots of pickup trucks/work vans and where half the people in town are named Kelly, Murphy, or Sullivan. 49.1% Trump, 43.7% Clinton. The Eastern Massachusetts version of flyover country. The perfect wror town.

Yeah, I don't know Whitman at all, not sure I ever heard of it. But damn, that's a dismal sounding place from this post.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 AM

10,036 posts, read 15,695,582 times
I know Whitman a bit. Way back when we were looking for out 1st SFH, I fell in love with a house we saw in Whitman. It was a Victorian with all the beautiful original woodwork, paneling and stained windows plus a renovated kitchen. We could not come to an agreement with the sellers on the price at that time. A few months later, the broker called us and said they would take our offer, but by that time, my husband found out there was a rooming house down the street and a couple of other undesirable elements to the neighborhood. I will never forget that house, though. It was gorgeous.

Whitman is a poorer town, one of those former shoe factory towns. It shares a high school with Hansen. I doubt I would have liked it there.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:04 AM

636 posts, read 708,138 times
Whitman is a blank hole. Historically.
But the point is, banning and not having POT businesses on every street comer may bring gentrification to Whitman and drive out the undesirables and an upgrade to the community.

Buy Low.
City Data:
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $321,689
Whitman: $321,689
MA: $366,900
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Whitma...#ixzz5AII65k1w

Since Colorado legalized Marijuana in 2012, over 70% of Colorado communities have banned local pot stores. Those 70% of Colorado communities have seen the destruction being done by having local POT stores in CO communities.

Last edited by wror; 03-20-2018 at 07:19 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 07:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
But the point is, banning and not having POT businesses on every street comer may bring gentrification to Whitman and drive out the undesirables and an upgrade to the community.

Why would it do that? Seriously?

And what town is going to have a dispensary on "every street corner"?

Old 03-20-2018, 07:25 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
I humbly submit you don't understand the forces that "gentrify" and, more specifically, that the people involved are significantly less likely than the national average to have this attitude.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:31 AM

6,818 posts, read 6,066,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Our elected see the dollar signs from tax revenue but the increase in accidents from impaired high drivers? ahh who cares accidents happen.
Is there data showing a significant increase in car accidents in states such as Colorado and Washington after they legalized marijuana?

My gut says that people who would get high and drive were probably doing that long before weed was legalized. I don’t know why more people would be getting high and driving now that the drug is officially legal.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:38 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,309,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I humbly submit you don't understand the forces that "gentrify" and, more specifically, that the people involved are significantly less likely than the national average to have this attitude.
Meh. Anything with railed public transportation to the Boston job market has a pretty good shot at gentrification. That includes Brockton. I wouldn't want to own there when the next recession hits since prices will collapse but people making upper 5 figures in Boston are priced out of other options.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:40 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Is there data showing a significant increase in car accidents in states such as Colorado and Washington after they legalized marijuana?
https://www.livescience.com/59587-le...r-crashes.html

There will be some that say there have been an increase in insurance claims, but raw numbers of claims are going to go up in a city with a booming population like Denver whether cannabis is legal or not. It comes with being more crowded with more cars on the road. None of the "studies" that purport to show this effect adjust for such factors.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 AM

636 posts, read 708,138 times
My kids are all grown up adults. But if i had kids today, i surely would not want them to live a community where they would pass POT stores on the way to school and walk by POT stores and POTophiles in their neighborhood. Whitman Ma just banned local POT stores. That makes Whitman a children friendly community.

Also, Whitman Ma residents voted yes in the majority to legalize POT in Mass on the state referendum.
This past week, residents have changed their minds, Whitman Ma residents voted NO to POT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts