Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:27 PM

23 posts, read 26,985 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am a single mom with 1 toddler and have a job opportunity in the Back Bay area. I've estimated my post-tax income to be around $4500/month. First, considering rent, utilities, childcare, gas, groceries, and all other expenses, will I be able to comfortably afford somewhere within a 30 minute morning commute (in rush hour or on a train)? I've seen that rent and childcare are ridiculously high there, especially in comparison to my current town in Michigan.

Second, what cities/neighborhoods would one recommend given the following info:
I'm open to buying or renting a 2 or 3bd with 1000+ sqft. If I buy, the house price should preferably be less than $300,000, but I can go up to $350,000 (I've seen some options in Lynn, is this a good city?). If I rent, rent ideally would be less than $2,200.
Safety is a big concern as I am young with a young child.
I'm black (is racism really that bad?) and would prefer a more diverse community. I don't want my child to be 1 of few people of color growing up.
I hate driving so a 30 minute rush hour commute is a hard limit.
I would prefer a family-friendly area with parks/playgrounds, a community center, etc. so I and my child can meet others.

Third, what are real people paying for childcare? My daughter will be 2. Any good recommendations for daycares as well?

Last edited by 2sha23; 05-08-2018 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 AM

649 posts, read 817,507 times
I think childcare will be your biggest shock. Do not take this the wrong way but your salary puts you at the edge of low income for MA. The low income line for Boston/Cambridge/Quincy is about $65k for a two person family. So you may be eligible for section 8 housing and child care discounts.

I would think very carefully about why you want to move. If you are just starting your career and this job will a step toward higher earning (and quickly) I would say do it. On the other hand MA employers often recruit from out of state specifically because they cannot get anyone in-state to work for the wage offered. So if you are in social work or non-profit I would not take the bait as these wages will not increase in the way you need.

Childcare is about $1500/mo last time I looked, may be higher now. Keep in mind that childcare and the hours demanded by commuting are often incompatible. Also many places have waitlists.

Most of greater Boston is safe. An easy commute to the Back Bay would be the orange line. Living without a car will probably be necessary during your daycare years so I would not buy a house just yet but work on finding T-friendly daycare and housing. The daycare part will not be easy. Often the most affordable are the ones in someone's house and they do not have websites for the most part.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:47 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,729,725 times
When I just casually looked at daycare prices, I was seeing them closer the $3K/month. I didn't look too hard, though, because I wasn't in need of daycare when we moved. But that was twice what I paid in Pennsylvania. Nannies, nanny-share, au pairs, and in home daycares might be less.

I don't think there are any SFHs here under $350K. Maybe some condos. Everybody wants a 30 minute commute, but homes within that radius are expensive for that reason.

I agree with Salamander that it really depends on what your opportunities for advancement are with your job. At least you won't have the daycare expense in another 3 years, but there will be the expense of after-care, care during school holidays and half-days, and summer camps.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:17 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
I think that you are likely better off staying in Michigan, to be honest. The housing costs of eastern MA are becoming prohibitive, and your money will go much further in Michigan. You will never find a house for the prices you are suggesting, so i question the wisdom of even getting involved in this market. Just my .02 cents...

Old 05-09-2018, 06:31 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,397 times
Maybe look at Framingham because the commuter rail from there goes directly to Back Bay. I mean personally I don't think a train ride is as bad as driving due to the fact that you can do things on the train.

I mean a number of people have a salary similar to yours and are fine. But you might have to look at condos instead of SFH.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:42 AM

23 posts, read 26,985 times
Thanks everyone! My offer is for $80k/year gross so I don’t think I’ll be eligible for state assistance. After taxes I estimate this to be around $55k/year not including any deductions. The job is with a tech company and I would really like to take it if I can afford Boston. A condo/townhome is fine.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:06 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
I'm going to suggest Malden as a place where you can rent and buy in your price point. It's on the Orange Line so you can get to Back Bay on one train. It's a diverse city that has implemented a smart growth policy in order to avoid growing too big too fast.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:06 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,841,716 times
Lynn is closer than Framingham but involves a more complicated commute to Back Bay. Framingham is much more middle class than Lynn, more suburban and has better but still diverse schools. But you’re 20 or more miles from Boston— hard if you have to get home in a hurry. Orange line only commute means Medford or Malden on the north or Roxbury and Jamaica Plain on the south (although bus to orange line opens up Roslindale and Hyde park which are more affordable. All those areas served by orange line on the south are Boston Public Schools which take some navigating to land in the right spot. The northern areas are cheaper overall and diverse but probably more $ than Framingham. We have some good charters in and around Boston but nothing like Michigan (with all that DeVos politicking.)

Old 05-09-2018, 07:10 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,397 times
Id try to negotiate a COL adjustment. If money is what is holding you back from the move it can't hurt to ask.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:14 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 222,324 times
There are lots of 1-2 bed condos in West Natick (very safe) right next to the station in $1200-1500 range. The commuter rail is the best option in my opinion and can get you to Back Bay in 25-35 mins (Express is faster). Childcare in the area should be cheaper than Boston.

I would not look at anything that is not on the Worcester, Franklin or Providence lines.

Last edited by r_p; 05-09-2018 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts