Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:21 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times

Advertisements

I doubt you can get much in Dover for $700k. You probably could in Sherborn, though. They attend the same middle school and high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 01:58 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquishedagain View Post
Have you considered Dover? The You might not be able to get as much house for 700k (I would guess that's at the bottom end of what's for sale in Dover) but the schools are the best and you'll get the best roads in the state too, lol.

Definitely a more secluded lifestyle though. Medfield is pretty good, not as exclusive as Dover, since it has some retail and other business but it's safe and has pretty good schools. The Westwood side of Norwood is also a nice place to live and much cheaper than westwood, very safe but Norwood schools are.... bad
They've mentioned they want activities for their family and something of a small town center in their earlier posts.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:32 AM

58 posts, read 43,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
They've mentioned they want activities for their family and something of a small town center in their earlier posts.
Medfield definitely has more of a town centre, no argument there. As far as activities go, Dover has plenty of activities for families. Also very close to medfield, westwood, natick, needham. Absolutely zero violent crime in Dover (probably quite similar for Medfield and Westwood). If the OP can find a comparable house in Dover I would still recommend that, better schools (medfield schools are still excellent) and prestige. Also Dover hasn't really recovered fully from the recession so I think there is still room for the houses to appreciate.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:38 AM

317 posts, read 331,463 times
Quote:
Medfield definitely has more of a town centre, no argument there. As far as activities go, Dover has plenty of activities for families. Also very close to medfield, westwood, natick, needham. Absolutely zero violent crime in Dover (probably quite similar for Medfield and Westwood). If the OP can find a comparable house in Dover I would still recommend that, better schools (medfield schools are still excellent) and prestige. Also Dover hasn't really recovered fully from the recession so I think there is still room for the houses to appreciate.
The budget is $700k. Why would she want to live in Dover?? I’m pretty sure Medfield has enough “prestige”. Saying the schools are better is splitting hairs. US News just came out with their best high schools list and Medfield came out on top of Dover-Sherborn. I don’t live, nor have I ever, in Medfield so not sure why I care, but your comment comes off as so snobby. It’s like saying to someone in Wayland, you really should live in Weston, lol.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:07 PM

8 posts, read 16,629 times
Hi - I live in Medfield and it does seem to clear out for the summer, especially July. Lots of families have memberships to the Kingsbury Fitness Club which has a year round pool. If your kids are young that would be a great place to meet other young families. We do have a small town pond too, Hinkley Pond, with swim lessons for the kids but I think a lot of families in town prefer memberships at pools.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 PM

58 posts, read 43,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
The budget is $700k. Why would she want to live in Dover?? I’m pretty sure Medfield has enough “prestige”. Saying the schools are better is splitting hairs. US News just came out with their best high schools list and Medfield came out on top of Dover-Sherborn. I don’t live, nor have I ever, in Medfield so not sure why I care, but your comment comes off as so snobby. It’s like saying to someone in Wayland, you really should live in Weston, lol.
Okay... If you live in Wayland and cost is not an issue, yes you should move to Weston. It's a better town. I suggested Dover because it has not had the as much of a run-up after the recession as the surrounding towns. Making it more stable if we have another one and representing somewhat of a bargain at the moment. You might still be able to get a better house in Medfield for 700k and if that's the case go for it. They're both fine towns.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:40 PM

There are two active threads going about Medfield on this forum, right now. I think that says a great deal about the desirability of the town.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
for example?

Old 05-24-2018, 09:21 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,136,633 times
Quote:
I suggested Dover because it has not had the as much of a run-up after the recession as the surrounding towns.
I've been debating this as well, as I've noticed in central MA towns like Bolton and Harvard haven't had the run more suburban towns have.

More stable? Or are gen X/Y buyers seeking a different path? I suspect the latter. Large estates are trending out.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:30 AM

317 posts, read 331,463 times
Quote:
Okay... If you live in Wayland and cost is not an issue, yes you should move to Weston. It's a better town. I suggested Dover because it has not had the as much of a run-up after the recession as the surrounding towns. Making it more stable if we have another one and representing somewhat of a bargain at the moment. You might still be able to get a better house in Medfield for 700k and if that's the case go for it. They're both fine towns.
But there are literally no houses in Dover for that amount. That’s my point. Why suggest something because it’s “better” if it’s not affordable for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts