Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:47 PM

32 posts, read 100,582 times

Advertisements

I am looking for Jewish communinty/town to raise my family in. The problem is most of the Jewish towns I cannot afford. For example Newton, Brookline, Lexington, and Needham. I can spend around $450,000. I am looking for a single family home that is not to far away from Boston. Any suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:10 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Try Sharon. You may be able to find something there. Commuter train to Boston, too.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-14-2018 at 05:21 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 05:18 PM

199 posts, read 948,220 times
Sharon has a sizable middle-class Jewish population. I think there's some middle-class Jews in neighboring Canton as well. I know there's a Jewish synagogue in Attleboro/North Attleboro, but I don't think the population is large compared to Sharon.

On the North Shore, try Swampscott and Marblehead. Swampscott, at least, has the commuter rail to Boston.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Although there's no synagogue located within its boundaries, many Jewish families have settled in Arlington (I know some.) Temples are located in neighboring communities in all directions, and are pretty much all degrees of "Orthodox-ness" except for the Lubavitchers. Housing prices typically fall within your range in most parts of town, with the exception being the section bordering Winchester where real estate is somewhat more expensive. (There's really no "bad" section to speak of.) Arlington's schools have fallen on hard times a bit, due to voter rejection of property-tax limit overrides, but are still above par. The town is adjacent to Cambridge and is fairly well served by MBTA bus service connecting to the Harvard and Alewife stations on the Red Line. Even with the relaxation of "blue laws" to allow for liquor service in restaurants, it maintains a definite suburban feel. It's one of those places where "the sidewalks are rolled up at 8 PM." Crime is so low that the cops spend most of their time on speed traps and minor traffic violations. I should know, I've been busted several times on both.

To the north of town, Marblehead tends to be on the "tony" side with prices to match, but Swampscott is somewhat more affordable. I'll let those better informed about the North Shore and north-suburban areas chime in. Ditto for the region to the south, where Sharon definitely has the largest Jewish population but is part of a corridor that stretches north to Milton. Stoughton is another relatively affordable community within that corridor, but its schools aren't quite as well regarded as those in Sharon and definitely not in multi-class (and expensive) Milton. The other town in that sector is Randolph, but its schools are abysmal and that plays a large part in why homes are so cheap. Easton and - yes - Canton have more of what I'd call a Jewish "presence" than a substantial population; then again, that's true of most communities these days. It sounds as though what's sought is a place where Jews comprise at least 15% of the population, and the towns I've enumerated fit that bill.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
There are some nice homes in Chelsea.

Melrose, Saugus, Swampscott, Marblehead and on and on.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:05 PM

925 posts, read 2,741,603 times
Chelsea? No thanks. We moved my grandmother out of there after their house was robbed three times in a matter of weeks, once when she was home. Terrifying.

Many people will recommend Sharon and Swampscott because they have a larger Jewish population than some other towns. I do think you could find something in Sharon in your price range & the commute to Boston isn't bad.

Also, there are plenty of suburbs with strong Jewish populations. Westborough, for example, has both a Reform & Conservative temple, well regarded public schools & easy highway & train access to Boston. You can get a nice home in town in your price range.

My folks belong to the Reform temple & one of our friends is very involved with youth education at the Conservative temple so feel free to pm me if you have questions about either. Personally I really liked the rabbi at B'nai Shalom& was sad to hear that he's leaving.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,811,944 times
I believe Marblehead and Swampscott are both approx. 1/3 Jewish. Swampscott values have dropped a fair amount the past few years, so $450k is very doable. Marblehead is a bit pricier, but is a better run town in my opinion.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
Chelsea? No thanks. We moved my grandmother out of there after their house was robbed three times in a matter of weeks, once when she was home. Terrifying.

Many people will recommend Sharon and Swampscott because they have a larger Jewish population than some other towns. I do think you could find something in Sharon in your price range & the commute to Boston isn't bad.
I couldn't agree more about Chelsea. It's not the lovely well kept suburb of Boston that it was when my Grandparents grew up there.

Sharon's a really nice town. The school system is very good. Crescent Ridge Creamery is in Sharon which is a HUGE plus. Best ice cream in MA in my opinion. My only complaints are that it's south of Boston (hate dealing with I93), not too much going on in town (i.e. few restaurants, shops, etc), and the real estate taxes are obscenely high last time I looked which is a big reason why the homes are so much cheaper. At one point, I'm not sure if this is still true, Sharon had the highest RE tax rate in the state.

One other town I would throw in the mix is Natick. A lovely suburb, very easy commute into Boston by car or train, lovely town center, solid schools, new high school approved to be built, easy access to the "golden triangle" (area between routes 9 & 30 with all the malls). As a real estate agent, I could lose my license if I told you where the Jews live (even though I am one and you asked) so I'll just say there is Temple Israel in Natick and also plenty of additional temples to check out in nearby Wayland, Needham, and Framingham.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
easy access to the "golden triangle" (area between routes 9 & 30 with all the malls).
Ha, I like the somewhat euphemistic term, "golden triangle." It's one thing to get there but another to navigate through the Bermuda Triangle of traffic.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
I was going to suggest Westborough as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts