Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 06:47 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
11 Hales Pond Lane is currently listed at 700k. According to this website, it sold for 200k in 2017:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M43930-16925
There is no way that house sold for that on the market, that's not even possible. That has to be another kind of transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedsweater View Post
We are looking to buy and were attracted by some homes on Whipple Brook Road and Hales Pond Lane in Wrentham. All but maybe one or two on Whipple Brook was sold, is on the market or recently pulled off the market in the past year... similar with Hales Pond.

Is something wrong in the area? Why so many homes clustered in the same area being sold? They are very nice homes.
Nothing more than probably age of owners. I lived in Wrentham years ago, nice town and the people who bought my house still live in it over 25 years later. It just may be that the kids are now all grown and the houses are too big for the parents. It happens periodically with neighborhoods where everyone moves in at the same time, kids grow up, and then everyone retires and downsizes or moves out of the area.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There is no way that house sold for that on the market, that's not even possible. That has to be another kind of transaction.
Yeah it was probably a foreclosure. If you look at the history it was purchased for $699,000 in 2007 (Zillow says that is the year it was built). It went on the market for $229,000 in 2012 and remained on the market until 2017 when it sold. Perhaps it was vacant for that long it was probably bought by someone who put some money into redoing the house and is now selling it. Maybe someone in the area could do some research on it but that is what it looks like to me.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:43 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
I did some research looking up the records at the Registry of Deeds. It's difficult to follow, but apparently the original owners still own the house and what is being reported as a "sale" is different mortgage transactions. Sites like zillow and realtor.com can be very unreliable in what they report.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:04 PM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
I did some research looking up the records at the Registry of Deeds. It's difficult to follow, but apparently the original owners still own the house and what is being reported as a "sale" is different mortgage transactions. Sites like zillow and realtor.com can be very unreliable in what they report.
Yes it could have been some type of a refinance or something.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 AM

13 posts, read 22,921 times
It was an empty lot that sold for $200k. Labeled as Lot 11 Hales Pond Ln. Perhaps it was split off from the house at #11

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Wrentham/1...lspin-72094648

Old 12-06-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks, makes sense. I live in Florida now and when neighbors bought some property in the neighborhood to build a new house Zillow reported the house they were living in sold for the price of the lot they bought and didn't report the sale of the lot. They are unreliable and if you can get to the town or in my case the county records you get a better idea of what is going on.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:49 AM

1 posts, read 507 times
Lot of well water to. In-laws has it dried up twice. Absolute nightmare and it always happened when money was tight

Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,644 times
There's also 2 mixed use areas: Wrentham Village Premium Outlets & Ledgeview Way

Old 07-10-2020, 09:50 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Yes, I see faulty sales records frequently on Zillow/Redfin. Whats obnoxious is that it then corrupts their pricing estimate algos ... particularly Redfins. I pay little attention to their valuation estimates myself, but unfortunately many buyers do assume some accuracy.

For example, there’s a newer high end net-zero build down the street from me which Redfin values at least 200k below market as, somehow, the original 2013 land purchase was captured as a SFH sale. The algos then assume there is a valid driver of the depressed valuation based off the previous sale. Redfins algos continue to do this with my own former bank-owned home - valuation remains roughly 20-25% under market 5 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts