Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 04:52 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times

Advertisements

We keep hearing, year after year, to tip these regular people in our lives, as well as teachers, tutors, doormen, concierge, barbers, etc.

Some or many of us can't afford to do this, at least not with significant tips.

I do believe postal carriers can accept gift cards or gifts, just not cash or checks? Similar for many other categories?

I do like to tip, and often even tip $1 at takeout or coffee and ice cream parlors. Minimum $2-$3 on Uber and Lyft and taxis. But I rent and sleep days so have no contact with trash and mail workers, thus don't tip sanitation or postal workers at my building -- still no excuse, right? Seems homeowners and those in luxury rentals may need or want to tip more people vs. renters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 05:32 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,959 times
I'll keep my wallet in my pocket thank-you. 0

Old 12-17-2018, 06:12 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
Didn't know tipping postal workers was a thing. Mine is usually too lazy to bring Amazon packages to the door, and just leaves them in the driveway.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:43 PM

45 posts, read 28,526 times
I've had the same postal lady for 20 years and always give her at least $15-20. It depends on your situation what
you want to give.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
I just gave the postman $20. Do it every year. He's been my postman forever. Always checks on my house & the neighborhood. It's good to have a set of eyes around who knows everyone in the neighborhood and checks on folks, especially some of my elderly neighbors.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danii View Post
I've had the same postal lady for 20 years and always give her at least $15-20. It depends on your situation what
you want to give.
So cash is accepted? Obviously that's what they all want.

No matter what the policy about no cash tips allowed, which I thought I had heard?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:37 PM

178 posts, read 147,792 times
Default Tipping

My wife and I live in Brooklyn, which is a high cost-of-living area. We tip our letter carrier ($50), our building super ($200), our cleaning lady ($250) (she comes every other week), the newspaper delivery person ($50). That comes to $550, and we think it’s money well given.

Our letter carrier knows us and often knocks on our door when we have a package, and we feel like he is an extra set of eyes on our lobby and on our apartment. The super does us favors throughout the year and is there for us when we need something. Our housekeeper has been coming for some years and always does a great job. The NY Times gets delivered through snowstorms, downpours, and in 95 degrees heat and on single digit icy mornings.

We are lucky to have these services, and even luckier to be able to afford them and to be able to give such tips. We think that the people who are getting the tips would do the same for us even without the tips, so we are happy and gratified to be able to give them something for the holidays.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:09 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
We keep hearing, year after year, to tip these regular people in our lives, as well as teachers, tutors, doormen, concierge, barbers, etc.

Some or many of us can't afford to do this, at least not with significant tips.

I do believe postal carriers can accept gift cards or gifts, just not cash or checks? Similar for many other categories?

I do like to tip, and often even tip $1 at takeout or coffee and ice cream parlors. Minimum $2-$3 on Uber and Lyft and taxis. But I rent and sleep days so have no contact with trash and mail workers, thus don't tip sanitation or postal workers at my building -- still no excuse, right? Seems homeowners and those in luxury rentals may need or want to tip more people vs. renters?
We give a $10 Dunkin gift card to our Mail carrier.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:12 AM

530 posts, read 359,006 times
Box of chocolates for USPS, school bus driver, guy who clears the snow on the street, trash and recycle pick up guys every year!

Old 12-18-2018, 05:18 AM

9,884 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
So cash is accepted? Obviously that's what they all want.

No matter what the policy about no cash tips allowed, which I thought I had heard?
Postal employees are NOT ALLOWED to accept cash or cash equivalent gifts such as gift cards and gifts cannot be more than $20:

https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet.../cover_025.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts