Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 910 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me what it's like to live in plymouth? i'm a single young professional - is plymouth a good place for young 20s/30s people to meet, date, have lots to do, etc.? not just things that cater to tourists. i'm having a hard time finding social groups/clubs when i look around on the internet (except for stuff geared toward older people) so i can't get a feel for the social scene. i read on here that the median age is about 41.

i would also love any general feedback about cost of living and the job market there. how do you feel about the availability of jobs and rental/housing costs? does the high cost of living drive away younger people?

thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 01:14 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Live in Quincy, not Plymouth. Plymouth is for old folks and families.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:49 PM

604 posts, read 561,242 times
Second Quincy. Weymouth is a lot of single families too but close to Quincy, pretty affordable, with some nightlife around. Dorchester is obviously more urban/city living but more exciting too.

Plymouth is a nice place to own a home/raise a family but not a great place to meet singles. It's not worth it to rent there and pay for somebody else's kid to go to school

Old 07-13-2019, 06:01 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
OP where do you work? Plymouth honestly isn't lacking for the South Shore, but I echo what others said that Quincy would offer more as long as the commute won't be a killer. If you work on say, the Cape; then Plymouth might be better than what else may be an option. The Downtown/waterfront can be a good time, especially during the summer months. Again, not exactly a bustling singles scene but considerably more than say Kingston or Halifax.

I don't see how Dorchester is "exciting".

Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OP where do you work? Plymouth honestly isn't lacking for the South Shore, but I echo what others said that Quincy would offer more as long as the commute won't be a killer. If you work on say, the Cape; then Plymouth might be better than what else may be an option. The Downtown/waterfront can be a good time, especially during the summer months. Again, not exactly a bustling singles scene but considerably more than say Kingston or Halifax.

I don't see how Dorchester is "exciting".
Dorchester covers a massive chunk of the city ranging from Melnea Cass/Mass. Ave on the border of the South End to Lower Mills on the border with Milton. Some pockets of the neighborhood are rough, some have gentrified, and some are somewhere in between. Even if you're a little nervous about the name "Dorchester," you'll likely find that Savin Hill, Lower Mills, and JFK/UMass areas are perfectly fine. There are also a ton of great bars, restaurants, breweries, distilleries, etc. within the neighborhood. That's obviously not including the fact that much of Dorchester is adjacent to the South End, South Boston and provides easy access to the Seaport, Downtown/Back Bay, Cambridge and beyond. If you're looking for year round activity for a young single professional, I'd take Savin Hill/JFK UMass over Quincy any day of the week as it's still a reasonable value compared to Southie, the South End, the Seaport, etc.

But to your point, if the OP is working on the Cape, Carver, Wareham, etc. you can rule Dorchester, or Quincy out.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:13 PM

63 posts, read 52,499 times
Born and raised in plymouth. I disagree its just gor old folks or families. It has some great restaurants and bars, beautiful beaches. The spire center, memorial hall and its within an hour to boston and providence. I have commuted to canton and to yarmouth. Cost of living is way lower than the city. Loved my first apartment in plymouth. It was right downtown and i walked to everything. What kind of job are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts