Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 15,503 times

Advertisements

Hi All-
We’re contemplating a move from CT to Lexington, MA. What are your thoughts on the town? Our kids are older school age kids, so the most important elements are the safety of the town, commutability to the financial district in Boston, and to a lesser extent athletics.
- do most people drive or take the T or commuter rail? How long should we expect it to take to get into Boston on a daily basis?
- what private day high schools are in the area that kids from Lexington tend to attend (we think we want a slightly smaller environment for our kids in high school vs LHS?)
-how are youth/town athletics? Particularly lacrosse and field hockey?

Thanks so much for any and all input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 12:21 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Budget?

Old 08-28-2019, 12:38 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
I work in Lexington. Not sure why you would live in Lexington if you're sending your kids to private schools, although I imagine many of the uber rich do exactly that. There are other towns with similar pricing that provide a better commute to Boston or offer lower housing costs or both.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 15,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I work in Lexington. Not sure why you would live in Lexington if you're sending your kids to private schools, although I imagine many of the uber rich do exactly that. There are other towns with similar pricing that provide a better commute to Boston or offer lower housing costs or both.
Which other towns would you say have better pricing and a better commute? We’re struggling to find that, and want to be North/Northwest of Boston?

Old 08-28-2019, 01:36 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,605 times
Lexington is to Nashua, NH in this region as Westport, CT is to Danbury, CT in yours. Just to give you a frame of reference.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:44 PM

880 posts, read 820,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanburyCT View Post
Which other towns would you say have better pricing and a better commute? We’re struggling to find that, and want to be North/Northwest of Boston?
Need budget and home size/condition preference. Not needing public schools open up many options

Old 08-28-2019, 02:11 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,926,965 times
Quote:
Well, if you want to stay North/Northwest, the train won't take you to the financial district. It will take you into North Station, where you'll have to catch a bus, walk, or bike towards South Station.

In any event, Lexington is upper crust. One of the most desirable suburbs in the MetroWest. That being said, if you are willing to pay the prices, I'd inch a bit closer to the city or choose a town with train access. Winchester and Belmont are the two that come to mind immediately.. Concord would be a good option too, as long as you live within walking distance to the train. Beautiful town, and a bit more rural if you don't want the densely populated neighborhoods in Belmont or Winchester. Arlington is another that has traditionally been a step down from Lexington, Belmont, Winchester, or Concord. But, prices won't reflect that anymore. You should take a hard look there assuming you don't need a lot of space. Some really nice areas in town, with an active downtown, a great location.

If you don't have to live in a Tier 1 suburb, and based on your criteria including commute, there are other options that may be better for your family.. Reading is a nice town that, despite the hot real estate, is undersold on this forum. Very strong athletics, always have been. If your budget is >$700k, and I'm assuming it must be, look west of downtown in the Historic neighborhoods. Lynnfield is a small little town North of the city, and though the drive won't be fun, it'll be easier than from Lexington. If you're OK with a 60 minute train ride, I'd go with Andover over all suburbs North. Solid athletics, good mix of neighborhoods, nice core.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:49 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Quote:
What's your motivation for wanting to live North/Northwest of Boston? If you're commuting to the financial district then you're usually better off living West or Southwest of the city.

As others have said, unless you're insistent on living in a highly sought after suburb like Lexington since you're sending your kids to private school then that opens up a lot of options for you. So, it would help to have more information about your situation.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:36 PM

604 posts, read 562,809 times
Medford, in the less dense neighborhoods north of Mystic Valley Parkway and west of 93.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:57 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
Quote:

You need to define more specifically where in the Financial District you need to commute to and you should share your housing budget. If you're asking about Lexington then I'm assuming you can afford at least $1.5 million

Lexington has no direct public transportation in to Boston. So either you are driving in to Boston or you are driving to the Alewife station at the end of the Red Line and taking that in to Boston. A long prospect either way. Towns like Acton and Concord have commuter rail access to Boston but they bring you in to North Station. You'll need to walk up Congress Street or take the Orange Line a couple stops to get closer to your office building.

The better commute for the Financial District is typically to live in a western or southwestern suburb that is served by a commuter rail line that comes in to South Station. If you can afford Lexington, then Newton may make a lot of sense and it has several commuting options including driving, express bus and commuter rail in to Boston. Moving further out to Wellesley (even pricier than Lexington), or Natick (less expensive than Lexington) will keep you on the Worcester commuter rail line in to South Station.

Looking southwest, Needham is a bit less expensive than Lexington. Dedham and Canton would be even less expensive and still provide good commuter rail access in to South Station.

If you are set on living north then the suggestions above about Winchester, Reading and Lynnfield are pretty good. The latter two are definitely less costly than Lexington, still have top 30 school systems and provide highway access and proximity to commuter rail in to North Station and the Orange Line at Oak Grove at the Malden/Melrose line. Andover is another good community but it starts to get further away than you may want to be.

I joke that if I could afford to, I would live in Winchester, but I can't so I live in Lynnfield. I commuted to 500 Boylston Street in the Back Bay for many years. It was about 50 minutes door to door driving to Oak Grove, taking the Orange Line to Back Bay station and then a short walk to my office.

Last edited by gf2020; 08-29-2019 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts