Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 11:58 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think CTDOT is eventually going to up the trips on that corridor as they open a couple more local stops but I do think it’s sad that it’s an Extention not an addition.
True.it isn't exactly ct rail. But at three same point it brings people further.

In Springfield The amtrak platform is finished and the terminal is downstairs.

On a separate note from Springfield to grand central station for a monthly pass is only $767. That's $12.78 each way. 30 times. I'd argue this further shows the consolidation of western mass to Springfiel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 12:41 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
On a separate note from Springfield to grand central station for a monthly pass is only $767. That's $12.78 each way. 30 times.
Are you crazed? Best case, you get on a train in Springfield at 5:15am and get off at Grand Central at 8:35. You’re talking 8 hours per day commuting assuming nothing goes wrong.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:04 PM

162 posts, read 102,128 times
Quote:
a monthly pass is only $767.
I had to chuckle at the word "only."

What we need here in Western Mass, more than anything, is an acceptable way to get back and forth to Boston - Boston being still the hub of everything Massachusetts.

I grew up in Bedford and Burlington 60 to 70 years ago and spent my young adult years in Boston and Cambridge. In the 27 years I've been in the Amherst area I've over time lost all connections to the Eastern part of the state. It's just not worth the drive.

Being elderly I don't drive much, or at all at night, but I'd love to spend a day in Boston a couple times a year just to see it again, for the shopping and museums. We were married in Cambridge, as were all our grandparents, and both went to college in Boston.

Western Mass is really more like a part of of southern Vermont. The joke here is Boston is a far away place that steals our water and gives nothing in return. For those who don't know, the state buried numerous towns under water to create the Quabbin Reservoir to send the water to the eastern part of the state.

I frankly don't believe anything politicians say they'll get for us, whether transportation or rural broadband, but we do have some very capable reps trying their best.

One of the best aspects of growing up in Burlington was to get the MTA bus from the corner by Symonds park into Park Square Boston. For 55 cents, later up to 95 cents you could get off in Arlington center, Harvard square, or Park Square. The bus ran every hour or two and ​the last bus home was late enough that you could see a show or concert, or hit the non alcohol folk clubs and still make it home. I could make the 55 cents by shoveling snow for people or mowing lawns.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:39 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Are you crazed? Best case, you get on a train in Springfield at 5:15am and get off at Grand Central at 8:35. You’re talking 8 hours per day commuting assuming nothing goes wrong.
Right but there are those on long Island that have been doing the same for years. Furthermore with wifi you can telecommute, read, eat breakfast, use the bathroom etc Not all work requires you to be physically in the office. I can answer emails and phone while away, even overseas. This isn't that out of the question.

The other part is frankly some might share the pass making it more feasible.
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...nts-1.20159715

16 miles takes two hours. Housing is bt far cheaper in New haven, Hartford and Springfield. Springfield to grand Central for a regular train is as fast in time as the Acela Boston to NYC.

Plenty in the NYC area come from afar. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/n...ee-trains.html

The former New Haven Parking Authority executive director Jim Travers used to drive from New Haven to Manhattan every day.

https://philly.curbed.com/platform/a...t-person-essay
"But I was faced with the reality that commuting between Philly and New York on Amtrak is not a cheap habit—a monthly, unlimited pass on Amtrak costs $1,339 monthly."

Nearly double the price of Springfield.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:42 PM

162 posts, read 102,128 times
Nobody in Western Mass cares a ratz azz what goes on in New Haven, NYC or Philadelphia.

There's a lot of political juice in Amherst and and ​there was the political will to get the Vermonter out of the Strong Street area and other affluent neighborhoods that the tracks run by. There was a period when the Vermonter was stopped on the tracks for a day or two with the engines running, the smell of deisel fuel permated the professor class houses there and the noise level was oppressive. There also were incidents of trains running off the tracks. That's what led the decisions to do something different by the people in that area who have that kind of influence. Providing transportation was an afterthought.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:16 PM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
Quote:
Right but there are those on long Island that have been doing the same for years. Furthermore with wifi you can telecommute, read, eat breakfast, use the bathroom etc Not all work requires you to be physically in the office. I can answer emails and phone while away, even overseas. This isn't that out of the question.

16 miles takes two hours. Housing is bt far cheaper in New haven, Hartford and Springfield. Springfield to grand Central for a regular train is as fast in time as the Acela Boston to NYC.

Plenty in the NYC area come from afar. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/n...ee-trains.html

The former New Haven Parking Authority executive director Jim Travers used to drive from New Haven to Manhattan every day.

"But I was faced with the reality that commuting between Philly and New York on Amtrak is not a cheap habit—a monthly, unlimited pass on Amtrak costs $1,339 monthly."

I used to pay $500 monthly pass from New Haven to NYC and commute to a job in uptown Manhattan for 1 year. Usually NYC has higher pay than CT, definitely higher than western mass so that the cost is doable for many jobs.

The real issue is the distance and the fact that Springfield riders have to transfer to Metro North at New Haven. It is too far away for Western Mass residents to get jobs in NYC. The probable location is Stamford where the pay is close to NYC and commute is 45 minutes to 1 hour less for Western Mass riders.
New Haven jobs should be readily available and comfortable for Western Mass residents as the ride between Springfield vs New Haven should not be too bad.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:20 PM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBThescot View Post
Nobody in Western Mass cares a ratz azz what goes on in New Haven, NYC or Philadelphia.

There's a lot of political juice in Amherst and and ​there was the political will to get the Vermonter out of the Strong Street area and other affluent neighborhoods that the tracks run by. There was a period when the Vermonter was stopped on the tracks for a day or two with the engines running, the smell of deisel fuel permated the professor class houses there and the noise level was oppressive. There also were incidents of trains running off the tracks. That's what led the decisions to do something different by the people in that area who have that kind of influence. Providing transportation was an afterthought.
Before CTrail, commute between Western Mass to CT beyond Hartford is tough, too long drive.

I think Hartford Line connects New Haven jobs to Western Mass closely. It is easy ride and more and more people between two regions will commute on train. Rush time commuters between New Haven/Fairfield counties in CT on weekdays are quite common on Metro North line.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:57 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
I really doubt there's going to be much commuter level usage going from Western Mass to NYC simply on account of how long it takes. There are people who are fine with being super commuters, there is a top salary differential that can be huge between NYC and Western Mass, and there is definitely a much lower cost of living between Western Mass and NYC and the very near-in suburbs of NYC. However, you're talking about having someone who kind of fits a certain profile that I don't think is all that common in regards to commuters though you will probably get some people using the train for a visit or an event.

Instead, it's likely the commuters to Springfield, Hartford, and New Haven, potentially Norwalk and Stamford, will make up most of the people who use the train for a commute.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:06 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think CTDOT is eventually going to up the trips on that corridor as they open a couple more local stops but I do think it’s sad that it’s an Extention not an addition.
Completely agree, but it's likely because it was the cheapest option to pilot this.

Quote:

What we need here in Western Mass, more than anything, is an acceptable way to get back and forth to Boston - Boston being still the hub of everything Massachusetts.

I grew up in Bedford and Burlington 60 to 70 years ago and spent my young adult years in Boston and Cambridge. In the 27 years I've been in the Amherst area I've over time lost all connections to the Eastern part of the state. It's just not worth the drive.

Being elderly I don't drive much, or at all at night, but I'd love to spend a day in Boston a couple times a year just to see it again, for the shopping and museums. We were married in Cambridge, as were all our grandparents, and both went to college in Boston.

Western Mass is really more like a part of of southern Vermont. The joke here is Boston is a far away place that steals our water and gives nothing in return. For those who don't know, the state buried numerous towns under water to create the Quabbin Reservoir to send the water to the eastern part of the state.

I frankly don't believe anything politicians say they'll get for us, whether transportation or rural broadband, but we do have some very capable reps trying their best.

One of the best aspects of growing up in Burlington was to get the MTA bus from the corner by Symonds park into Park Square Boston. For 55 cents, later up to 95 cents you could get off in Arlington center, Harvard square, or Park Square. The bus ran every hour or two and ​the last bus home was late enough that you could see a show or concert, or hit the non alcohol folk clubs and still make it home. I could make the 55 cents by shoveling snow for people or mowing lawns.
Yes, more options than just the very limited Lake Shore Limited daily would be great, though I still think that the physically close chain of cities going down from Springfield-Hartford-New Haven is still a good idea. It's also a fairly easy step since it's simply an extension of an existing service and no new rolling stock had to be purchased and the stations were already there and in service due to the daily Vermonter run. I reckon they did this simply because it was the quick and easy thing to do.

Quote:

True, there are people who make very long commutes into Manhattan, though a Springfield commute with a transfer is longer than most cases and with somewhat less redundancy in case you miss the train. New Haven is a much easier one than Springfield (since you'd be transferring at New Haven to get to Manhattan) and Philadelphia might be double the price, but it's also half the time with no transfer.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:

You said it! I'm from WMass now living retired in a Hartford suburb. I'd take a train to Northampton and then out to Boston to visit a museum. I don't feel like driving all that way in one day, especially when you combine it with touring a museum.

And you're right that Boston is a far away place that steals our water and gives nothing in return. (I've been getting into fights over that on here for years now and they don't believe me.) It's supposedly our state capital but most of us have hardly even been there.

For the record, I have absolutely zero interest in NYC. Maybe some people who live in Hartford might want to go there, but NYC is for the throngs of people who live in adjacent Fairfield County, CT and maybe even New Haven. People from Hartford-Springfield wouldn't go that far for a job. When there was still rail service from Springfield to NYC, I used to go to NYC maybe once a year for museums or just for fun, but it's like a different world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts