Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 12:05 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,731,729 times

Advertisements

My wife had a 17 year old patient with a football injury and she asked if he was a junior or senior. To her surprise, he said he was a freshman and his parents held him back on purpose to be more competitive in sports. So this guy is going to be a 21 or 22 year old high school senior competing against 14 year old freshmen? Sounds totally fair. Is this a new thing? Imagine if your 14 year old daughter was dating her 17 year old classmate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 12:09 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Never heard of it in MA, but it was quite common in Texas and other parts of the South. At least in the 90s. I bet even earlier. And 14 yo dating 17 yo in high school isn't uncommon, or wasn't, they just weren't in the same grade.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:28 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Its extremely common in Ma and New England. More so than other states. The prep schools in the NEPSAC Class AA have post graduates high school students looking to play for better college. Many too athletes in basketball and football use the extra year to get more film to coaches, improve their academics and then reclassify down to their actual class midyear. Very common in MA prep schools. Also kids who transfer from public schools to day private schools for sports often times are asked to repeat a grade-especially inner city kids from Boston Worcester Lowell Hartford Providence New Haven Waterbury Springfield, thats where they recruit many athletes.

I remember playing BNBL for the Shelburne Center in 2008, oing into 9th grade. A team from new Hampshire came down to play us and our coach never explained why, but we beat them 66-11. The best player on my team was Wayne Selden, he is now in the NBA but he stayed back a year when he left O'Bryant for Tilton. Turns out Tiltons coach had organized the game to scout Wayne. He played one more game for us and then left for the rest of the summer to travel with his (Tiltons) new AAU club

The latest example of this is Terrence Clarke. He is a kid from Dorchester/Roxbury who was No. 3 Basketball player in the HS class of 2020. He went from A BPS school to Rivers who held him back for academic reasons Then he got booted form Rivers and went to Brewster and repeated a year voluntarily. Then he announced his commitment to Kentucky and reclassified back into the class of 2020. Hundreds of thousands of followers on social media-hes quasi-famous already.

When I went to school at Roxbury Latin-the number 1 academic school in the country- most of the best athletes were a held back. We even had a 20 year old senior hockey player one year. We played lots of people who are in the NBA and NHL right now and it is expected.

17 as a freshman sounds nuts though. 16 ive heard. but i guess ending freshman eyar at 17 years old is not too far fetched-that puts you two years behind. Clarke was starting his junior year at 18 before he reclassified.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-04-2019 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-04-2019, 01:55 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Sounds like a fake story to me. Per MIAA rules, a student who is 19 years of age prior to September 1 is not eligible for high school athletic participation.

http://miaa.net/gen/miaa_generated_b...ligibility.pdf

Old 10-04-2019, 03:02 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Usually, it's just for one year. Delaying enrolling the child in school when he is 5 and waiting until 6.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:14 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Sounds like a fake story to me. Per MIAA rules, a student who is 19 years of age prior to September 1 is not eligible for high school athletic participation.

Over the years, eligibility rules have changed. At one time, a player could play 3 years after their Freshman year. Thus they could be held back for a year or two. Many of them practiced with the teams and played in JV games but could not play with the varsity team. At the time I do not remember an age limit.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:29 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,360 times
I wouldn’t want my kid to be 19 as a senior in high school. I suppose sometimes it can’t be helped if you have a spring bday and get held back. My brothers birthday was in March and my mom held him back from kindergarten. So once he got to kindergarten he was 6 then turned 7 that March. I thought she did him a disservice because he was always the old kid. She should have just started him on time at age 5. He was a late talker, didn’t really talk until he was 4 so this played a big role.

Last edited by Bridge781; 10-05-2019 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 10-05-2019, 03:01 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I wouldn’t want my kid to be 19 as a senior in high school. I suppose sometimes it can’t be helped if you have a spring bday and get held back. My brothers birthday was in March and my mom held him back from kindergarten. So once he got to kindergarten he was 6 then turned 7 that March. I thought she did him a disservice because he was always the old kid. She should have just started him on time at age 5. He was a late talker, didn’t really talk until he was 4 so this played a big role.
In my Freshman year I opted to got to Vocational High School to study electronics. In my Junior year I was told by the football coach that no college would be interested in me as I was in Vocational School. So I attempted to transfer to High School. I was told I would have to repeat my Junior year in High School and not be eligible for Sports. So I transferred from Vocational to High School and repeated my Junior year as the rule was 3 years of play after Freshman and I had played two years (Sophmore and 1st Junior Year). I practiced with the Varsity and played Junior Varsity games with the ultimate plan I could play my Senior Year. When I entered my Senior Year (at 18 years of age), they had changed eligibility rules to one could only play 3 years in a row after their freshman year. We appealed the decision based on I sat out my Junior Year and was now caught in a new rule. I lost the appeal. I was one very unhappy camper.

My High School had a policy that you could graduate early in January if you joined the military. I was so pi$$ed at not being able to play sports (football and ice hockey), that I wanted out of there as soon as possible so I enlisted in the US Navy in January.

Cute story. I was at home on leave when my class actually graduated. I was asked if I wanted to participate in graduation. I was then told by the Asst. Principal I would have to wear a Cap and Gown. I said no way. I am wearing my uniform. He insisted. I said how would you like me to call a few local veteran organizations and let them know. He backed down. I graduated in my uniform as did one other fellow.

Bottom line is eligibility rules changed. One poster said cannot play if 19 or older on Sept 1. Still time to keep a kid back and let him play more years but a least the 19 sounds OK at first blush.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:28 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post

If he plays in a private school league he’s not subject to MIAA rules. Most top athletes are NEPSAC not MIAA

Old 10-06-2019, 07:52 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
If he plays in a private school league he’s not subject to MIAA rules. Most top athletes are NEPSAC not MIAA
Yeah, the MIAA and NEPSAC are two totally separate entities. Many kids graduate from high school and spend a year playing for "prep" schools to hone their academic skills. I think the OP is talking about parents deliberately holding their kids back in the same system because they're not "mature enough" but it's only for athletic reasons. It WAS common in Texas, but the UIL has really clamped down on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts