Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 07:55 AM

47 posts, read 20,793 times

Advertisements

Ok so I’m a born and raised southerner married to a man who is originally from Massachusetts. He hasn’t lived there in 22 years though. We went to visit my mother in law that lives there (my first time out of the south, ever!) and I fell in love with the area. We want to move there but I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons cause I’ve never lived anywhere but southern states. I don’t know how to drive in the snow or big highways like y’alls but I absolutely hate the south.
So pros and cons of living in Massachusetts? Opinions?
Please and thank you.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-23-2019 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 08:35 AM

137 posts, read 149,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattawampusfiddlesticks View Post
Ok so I’m a born and raised southerner married to a man who is originally from Massachusetts. He hasn’t lived there in 22 years though. We went to visit my mother in law that lives there (my first time out of the south, ever!) and I fell in love with the area. We want to move there but I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons cause I’ve never lived anywhere but southern states. I don’t know how to drive in the snow or big highways like y’alls but I absolutely hate the south.
So pros and cons of living in Massachusetts? Opinions?
Please and thank you.
What area did you visit and fall in love with?
Would you both get jobs before moving? I would think that you would need a job first and then move. The cost of living is really high. Do you have kids or plan to have kids?Just make sure you factor in things such as daycare (if needed) as well to housing/heating bills, etc. This is a huge expense for us!
I am not a fan of the winter here so I would really re-consider leaving the sunshine!

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-23-2019 at 09:33 AM..

Old 10-23-2019, 08:35 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
It might be easier if you tell us what part of the state you would be focusing on. The answers are probably going to vary widely, depending on where you want to settle.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:38 AM

We were thinking Springfield Massachusetts. We would definitely have jobs before moving. He has a child from a previous relationship but she’s in school and we are trying for kids but no luck so far. I like the cold I prefer it over the sunshine. But any input it welcomed.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
We were thinking Springfield Massachusetts. We would definitely have jobs before moving. He has a child from a previous relationship but she’s in school and we are trying for kids but no luck so far. I like the cold I prefer it over the sunshine. But any input it welcomed.
Springfield is much more affordable than Boston, so the cost of living factor is in your favor. Springfield will have a decent amount of snow, as well. Some sections of the city are troubled, but you could easily live just outside of it, and commute in..

Old 10-23-2019, 09:30 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Quote:

You "like" the cold and prefer it over sunshine...but your visit here was your first time ever out of the south. I will go out on a limb and say you absolutely do not know the kind of bone chilling cold that comes with a true winter. You also have not experienced the kind of dismal gray weather that brings on Seasonal Affective Disorder. Lots of people visit an area and fall in love. But a vacation doesn't reveal what living in such a place is really like. You will face radical changes and it won't be easy. I'd suggest more due diligence and spending more time here before making the move. Love at first sight rarely lasts.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:32 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
While it's hard to imagine falling in love with Springfield in a casual visit, some of the surrounding areas are very beautiful especially in autumn weather. They always say come back in March and see if you're still in love

Cons are personal-- I may not like the way the towns run together in some places or the old wooden houses or the winter weather while someone else might be fine with all that. Pros include lots of things to do, lack of serious traffic in the Springfield area, local governance (town meetings and all that), decent economy, historic places all around, access to beaches, hiking areas, public parks, plentiful higher ed options...

Old 10-23-2019, 09:35 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
My advice is do not do it. A Yankee by birth. A Southerner by choice.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:41 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
You "like" the cold and prefer it over sunshine...but your visit here was your first time ever out of the south. I will go out on a limb and say you absolutely do not know the kind of bone chilling cold that comes with a true winter. You also have not experienced the kind of dismal gray weather that brings on Seasonal Affective Disorder. Lots of people visit an area and fall in love. But a vacation doesn't reveal what living in such a place is really like. You will face radical changes and it won't be easy. I'd suggest more due diligence and spending more time here before making the move. Love at first sight rarely lasts.
OP, please pay attention to this post.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Thank you everyone �� I will take everything into consideration. I appreciate the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts