Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2021, 05:57 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You know, it would have been so easy for the federal govt to have put some teeth behind the May 14 guidance, by way of a method that could be used by businesses to ensure compliance. Israel did it first, NY did it, CA did it, and now France is requiring it. What? A QR code, or vaccine passport. Simple--scan it at the door to gain admission unmasked. No vax, you must mask.

By leaving it up to the honor system, we've basically let unvaccinated people be even more careless than before. What's happening now could have been foreseen. I don't blame the CDC, it's not their job to ensure compliance.
As I understand it, the CDC guidance of "no masks for the vaccinated" without further qualifications came as a complete surprise to governors (and possibly the federal government), as well as businesses, of course. It's very hard to dial back on something like that (and kudos to CA et al for doing it!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 06:26 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Here is a summary from a recent paper published in The Lancet "SARS-CoV-2 Delta VOC in Scotland: demographics, risk of hospital admission, and vaccine effectiveness", June 14, 2021

"In summary, we show that the Delta [variant of concern] VOC in Scotland was found mainly in younger, more affluent groups. Risk of COVID-19 hospital admission was approximately doubled in those with the Delta VOC when compared to the Alpha VOC, with risk of admission particularly increased in those with five or more relevant comorbidities. Both the Oxford–AstraZeneca and Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines were effective in reducing the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19 hospitalisation in people with the Delta VOC, but these effects on infection appeared to be diminished when compared to those with the Alpha VOC."

See:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...358-1/fulltext
Noting this line: "...with risk of admission particularly increased in those with five or more relevant comorbidities."

The majority of articles I've read regarding the Delta variant simply state 'high risk', but papers like this do a much better job of qualify what 'high risk' truly means; i.e., it's not necessarily an otherwise healthy 70yr with two rounds of mRNA.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:27 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...uster/2435402/
Is this true? All Boston residents who have been in Provincetown since July 1 are asked to isolate for five days and until they get a negative test, regardless of vaccination status?

Old 07-20-2021, 02:18 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Is this true? All Boston residents who have been in Provincetown since July 1 are asked to isolate for five days and until they get a negative test, regardless of vaccination status?
Ha good luck with that. ..Boss I cant come in to work today I spent the weekend in P-town.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:23 PM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Ha good luck with that. ..Boss I cant come in to work today I spent the weekend in P-town.
Well it's better than spreading covid around the office isn't it?

More reasons to work from home lol.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:59 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
It's been reported that the delta variant can be transmitted from just briefly walking by an infected person when indoors (e.g. at a mall).

Not a joking matter.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:10 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Channel 10 in Providence is reporting that the vast majority of cases were people who were fully vaccinated.

Boston asks Provincetown visitors to isolate, get virus test

Quote:
Boston health officials on Tuesday urged recent visitors to Provincetown to self-isolate and get tested for COVID-19 after a cluster of cases was linked to the popular Cape Cod tourist town.

At least 35 cases of COVID-19 in Boston have been traced to Provincetown, with the vast majority of cases involving people who were fully vaccinated, according to the Boston Public Health Commission.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:57 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's been reported that the delta variant can be transmitted from just briefly walking by an infected person when indoors (e.g. at a mall).

Not a joking matter.
Yes, I saw that study from NSW (Australia). But keep in mind, Australia was only 5% vaxxed at the time. I don't buy the fleeing exposure model for a vaxxed person.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:07 PM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
So are we going to have another shut down ?

Old 07-21-2021, 03:09 AM

12,437 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So are we going to have another shut down ?
Hopefully not. Certainly if more people would go through the convenient vaccination process that's basically like running 2 errands, then the caseload, ICU load and death tally are a lot smaller and you don't need to use other public health methods that require daily efforts - vaccination is really the ideal solution. The problem at this point is of course vaccine hesitancy. They could also require people to wear masks but not put restrictions on the number of people in stores and restaurants for example - masks are another measure that doesn't require any "shutdown". If things get bad enough though, I expect that a shutdown is on the table alright. It's all very frustrating. We have a fine solution, but many Americans simply refuse to have anything to do with it. So, we're likely to have higher morbidity and mortality, and be subjected to more difficult methods of mitigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts