Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2020, 04:42 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

There hasn't been enough time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 05:29 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I generally agree, but you're also arguing ... seemingly ... that Geoff is false in suggesting high income low density areas are fairing better in this pandemic. That's a difficult position to defend.
Geoff's post was dated and inaccurate in some ways. I pointed that out. You jumped in to defend his post and got yourself in a jam. Now it's apparently deflection time, and I somehow need to defend an argument that I didn't even make.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:50 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I find that oddly comforting...but of course, the young 'uns can spread it to the older generation.
I suppose you could say that, but I feel the older generation is suffering more as a result. The isolation is hitting them particularly hard, and unfortunately with the refusal of younger folk in helping bring the pandemic under control they bear the worst of it even thought they (the older generation) are not the ones being reckless for the most part.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:38 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I suppose you could say that, but I feel the older generation is suffering more as a result. The isolation is hitting them particularly hard, and unfortunately with the refusal of younger folk in helping bring the pandemic under control they bear the worst of it even thought they (the older generation) are not the ones being reckless for the most part.
At this point I'd say yes. Although there are some things that frankly could be helpful. Buying flowers for the elderly helps the florist and is good for grandma etc. My last grandparent passed in February. Had she lived longer she probably would have died of this.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Yes, and UMass Dartmouth is high density with a majority commuter student body. Care to guess where they might be commuting from?

Geoff was speaking to low density white collar 'burbs ... what point are you trying to make?
It’s also not a great point. Dartmouth is a socioeconomically mixed town. There are sections of the town with high density housing and where people use the SRTA bus service. You go from the projects in New Bedford to multi family apartments over the line in the Bliss Corner part of town. The no-tell hotels on Route 6 are now Section 8 overflow. I can live in my single family home with the Bezos delivery van, curbside delivery, and Instacart bubble social distancing in my boat a mile and a half from there.

Single family home and car is a huge advantage in avoiding the disease but COVIDIOT behavior easily overcomes that advantage. We keep the diameter of our bubble really small. We’re rigorous with infection control. We’re not doing anything that could be classified as medium risk. Hard to do that when you ride the bus to a public-facing service sector job.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:26 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I had a feeling this was going to happen.

https://www.patriotledger.com/news/2...as-t-eyes-cuts

To be fair they can't really extend rail to hull given how far it sticks out. Boats make sense but unless there is ridership. Transit works on a combination of rider fare, state assistance, federal assistance, local assistance and a sliver of advertising and maybe a concession contract.

At this point single family homes can't prevent areas from being in the red. There's no walls around. It's like arguing about who would win a nuclear war when fallout doesn't care who you are or where you live.

Behavior is changing. I go to the gym in the morning and there's a woman who doesn't wear a mask...until she got called out this morning and came back with one. Both younger. I wasn't expecting finger pointing Karen like behavior this early but o well.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

At this point single family homes can't prevent areas from being in the red. There's no walls around. It's like arguing about who would win a nuclear war when fallout doesn't care who you are or where you live.

Says the guy in the gym where people aren't wearing masks.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:46 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I'm sorry to say it but i feel like the ferry was kind of a luxury experience for people living in Hingham and Cohasset to commute in to work. Sure anyone could drive there to take the ferry but it catered to those high end seaside towns. I think you could even get alcohol on it?

Old 10-21-2020, 07:51 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Single family home and car is a huge advantage in avoiding the disease but COVIDIOT behavior easily overcomes that advantage. We keep the diameter of our bubble really small. We’re rigorous with infection control. We’re not doing anything that could be classified as medium risk. Hard to do that when you ride the bus to a public-facing service sector job.
Have to agree here. Having a SFH and your own car (or one per adult) in a household is a huge advantage, but all that goes out the window if you are hosting parties, or going to indoor dining every few nights with different people, or other behaviors that through that advantage out the window.

The more isolated, the easier it would be. But, people are out and about these days like they were back in Feb.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:59 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
This whole daily Covid count is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts