Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 06:57 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I don’t consider 123 lives lost in the past 2 days to be remotely good. However, if you are commenting on the new case trend, better get your lunchbox polished up for your long commute back into the office. It might be here sooner than you think.
Not likely. Much talk amongst epidemiologists about exponential increase in the new variants currently being hidden by the decrease in the old variant. We don't see it here (yet) because we don't sequence enough. Europe is quite worried and much more aggressive about lockdown because of it, while we are opening up. We still haven't understood that you have to act pre-emptively with this virus instead of reacting...https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...19-virus-surge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 07:05 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
In case you guys didn't notice...this is the CORONAVIRUS thread. Start a new thread if you want to discuss pages of immigration policy posts...

Old 02-09-2021, 07:10 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
UMass Amherst is not doing well at all.
The new spike in the line is largely accountable to underclassman
https://www.wmasscovid.com/

https://www.masslive.com/news/2021/0...eir-plans.html

Back and forth, back and forth. Do they want students on campus or not? I can't blame a kid for going to a two year school as this takes time to settle out. Who wants to live on a dead campus?

Old 02-09-2021, 07:21 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
We won't go back until at least the summer regardless of what happens
Based upon the MA daily vaccination report they've actually managed to be somewhat productive recently. Assuming that a decent percent doesn't want the vaccine in Phase 2, Late March is not out of the question for the start of general public if they get a bit more productive.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:27 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
People getting vaccinated has nothing to do with my employer opening its doors. Just because people get vaccinated doesn't mean everyone will be running back to the office. People have been wfh for a year now. It will take some time to roll out a plan and as I've said my dept is not certain that everyone will be returning. Like it or not things are different now. Most schools are probably not going to be full time again this year so there's also that.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:04 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
People getting vaccinated has nothing to do with my employer opening its doors. Just because people get vaccinated doesn't mean everyone will be running back to the office. People have been wfh for a year now. It will take some time to roll out a plan and as I've said my dept is not certain that everyone will be returning. Like it or not things are different now. Most schools are probably not going to be full time again this year so there's also that.
What gives you the idea that schools won’t be back to 100% in-person in 2021? Everyone will be vaccinated. Storrow Drive will have rental trucks plugged in the overpasses in late-August like usual. Those dorms will bankrupt everyone if they’re not full of students. Pretty much every college has the same math.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Numbers have been good the past two days.
My 75 year old diabetic neighbor across the lane was hauled off in an ambulance this weekend. Her husband tested positive. He was treated for lung cancer recently. My town is a Sturgis-like 50+ per 100,000. With no genetic testing, we have no idea if we’re about to explode with more transmissible B.1.1.7. Those people should have been vaccinated weeks ago but Massachusetts public health totally failed them.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:58 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
So according to the local paper, in my corner of the state, there has been an issue with vaccine availability for those 75+ and not in a senior home (those in senior homes I believe are handled by a different mechanism)... this article was published this morning...

"SALISBURY — The town manager is urging people 75 years old and over to preregister with the Council on Aging to receive a COVID-19 vaccination as soon as they become available in the area.

Salisbury has joined Amesbury, Newbury, West Newbury, Newburyport, Rowley, Georgetown, Merrimac and Groveland in a regional effort to distribute the Moderna vaccine at Dr. John C. Page School in West Newbury and Amesbury High School.

Salisbury Town Manager Neil Harrington told selectmen at their meeting Monday that people have been calling the town to set up a vaccination appointment but the regional group is still waiting to receive the vaccine.

"The frustration here is that we can't announce the site or the date for vaccinations until we get the vaccines," he said. "We have made two requests to the state from this regional group for a certain quantity of vaccines and, in both cases, the state has not fulfilled our request."

The regional group has begun to receive indications that a vaccine will arrive in the area soon. Harrington advised residents 75 and over to call the Council on Aging at 978-462-2412 to preregister for a vaccination."

https://www.newburyportnews.com/news...48a60b7bc.html

Old 02-10-2021, 05:06 AM

We tried to get all our elderly neighbors vaccine appointments. We probably put 40 hours of computer time into it and failed. We’re both very computer literate. I don’t see how anyone 75+ could ever make an appointment. This was a total public health failure in Massachusetts. They should all have been put in a prioritized queue 3 months ago when approval was imminent and it was obvious that there would be rationing.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:06 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Same thing is happening on Cape Cod. No vaccines yet I guess they will eventually be given out at the Melody Tent in Hyannis and some other venue. There are a lot of retired people on Cape Cod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts