Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 10:15 AM

9 posts, read 11,652 times

Advertisements

My 3 y/o is on IEP and we are living in Arlington. How the other surrounding towns (Lexington, Belmont, Winchester) compare to Arlington’s special education system (on preschool and school level)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 12:49 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I’m not entirely sure on who has the best IEP program. Just curious, how do you know that a 3 year old needs IEP? That seems young.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:17 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’m not entirely sure on who has the best IEP program. Just curious, how do you know that a 3 year old needs IEP? That seems young.
Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), kids can be evaluated at age 3.

To the OP, Arlington is part of the LABBB Collaborative that offers Spec Ed programs starting in pre-school all the way to high school and transition to adult life. They bring together the resources of 5 towns to ensure that children and young adults who need spec ed resources get it.

LABBB Collaborative

Old 04-26-2020, 02:48 PM

Thank you, so you say the programs are comparable and have the same funding?

Old 04-26-2020, 04:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
They bring together the resources of 5 towns to ensure that children and young adults who need spec ed resources get it.

That's not completely accurate.

Although LABBB is primarily hosted at schools in Lexington, Arlington, Bedford, Belmont and Burlington, the program serves students from 60 communities in Eastern MA. The school department for the participating student provides the funding and transportation.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:28 AM

I see - how do the programs compare to Arlington? If one community is more funded (for example, Lexington), how does it impact on a child and the quality of services?

Old 04-27-2020, 05:48 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massresident View Post
I see - how do the programs compare to Arlington? If one community is more funded (for example, Lexington), how does it impact on a child and the quality of services?

That's not how it works. There are no differences in services. Because you are in Arlington, you are already part of the collaborative. Different programs for different age groups are run at different facilities among the 5 towns. The LABBB pre-school programs are run out of Burlington, for example: LABBB Collaborative Depending on your child's specific needs, they may be addressed within your local elementary school or they would be transported to Burlington. It will really depend on what is the basis for the IEP.

I suggest you research on the LABBB web site: LABBB Collaborative or contact their Executive Director Patric Barbieri , email: pbarbieri@labbb.net or phone: 339-222-5615.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:07 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
My son received his ASD diagnosis around the age of 2. So, we knew then that he would need an IEP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massresident View Post
My 3 y/o is on IEP and we are living in Arlington. How the other surrounding towns (Lexington, Belmont, Winchester) compare to Arlington’s special education system (on preschool and school level)?
I don't have a lot of knowledge about the Arlington SPED programs. What I can pass along is that at the ABA clinic my son attends (or did before COVID) there was a family I chatted with often from Arlington. He had some less than nice things to say about their SPED program. I don't recall specifically what they were though.

What I can tell you as the parent of a SPED child is that a SPED program will fit each child differently depending on what the strengths of the program are and what the needs of the child are.

Not sure what your child's needs are but chances are there's a local Facebook group dedicated to kids with similar needs. I would join up there and ask some questions.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,131 times
I'm really interested in this thread as well. We live in Cambridge, and are looking to move to Arlington or Winchester. We have a 6-year old on an IEP with suspected ADHD and high functioning autism (I have both of those diagnoses myself). Our son doesn't currently need a lot of support and is doing well in a normal classroom, but we do anticipate he may need to go on and off IEP through his education. We found he did very poorly in a classroom where the rules were rigid and teachers had inflexible expectations about how kids should behave and learn. He's done well in a public kindergarten where the teachers tailor their teaching style to the kids, and have worked with his quirks rather than trying to suppress them. I feel like his current teacher must have already had a dozen kids like him before. A teacher's positive attitude, experience, and energy level are all critical. I think some diversity is important as well.

So in addition to having well-funded and well-supported IEP services, I'm very interested to hear of towns and schools where parents have found these types of teachers, year after year. And also where parents have been let down. And especially if you have a child who is quirky or ADHD or autistic.

We are thinking Arlington or Winchester, and avoiding Lexington. Are we on the right track? We really need to learn more about specific elementary schools in these towns as well that might be especially good, or ones to avoid.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkwhaab View Post
I'm really interested in this thread as well. We live in Cambridge, and are looking to move to Arlington or Winchester. We have a 6-year old on an IEP with suspected ADHD and high functioning autism (I have both of those diagnoses myself). Our son doesn't currently need a lot of support and is doing well in a normal classroom, but we do anticipate he may need to go on and off IEP through his education. We found he did very poorly in a classroom where the rules were rigid and teachers had inflexible expectations about how kids should behave and learn. He's done well in a public kindergarten where the teachers tailor their teaching style to the kids, and have worked with his quirks rather than trying to suppress them. I feel like his current teacher must have already had a dozen kids like him before. A teacher's positive attitude, experience, and energy level are all critical. I think some diversity is important as well.

So in addition to having well-funded and well-supported IEP services, I'm very interested to hear of towns and schools where parents have found these types of teachers, year after year. And also where parents have been let down. And especially if you have a child who is quirky or ADHD or autistic.

We are thinking Arlington or Winchester, and avoiding Lexington. Are we on the right track? We really need to learn more about specific elementary schools in these towns as well that might be especially good, or ones to avoid.
Why are you avoiding Lexington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts